This team is surprisingly good at 'closing the deal' | The Boneyard

This team is surprisingly good at 'closing the deal'

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thinking about last nights game and the season to date, I am struck by something:

ND ties the game late in the third quarter at 42 all. Uconn then outscores them 30-19 in the last 12 minutes to win by 11

TX closes to two at 51-49 with 3:18 to go in the third. Uconn then outscores them 21-5 in the last 13 minutes

Baylor ties the game 54-54 with 7:29 to go in the fourth. Uconn then outscores them 18-7 in the last 7 minutes.

Those are the last three serious games Uconn has played, they were challenged in the middle of the second half by good teams, and they closed the deal with impressive defense and timely offense outscoring all three teams by 11+ points to close out the game.

In the other serious game FSU, they were down to a one point lead at 6:04, went up by 6 at 5:02, but then were closed to one point again at 3:53. They went up 8 at 2:35, but again were closed to one point at :46 and ended up with a two point win when a buzzer beating three missed.

Who knows how the rest of the year plays out, but it looks to me as if that first game they didn't now what to do in the fourth quarter, but they learned quickly how to really close out games. These last three games have been impressive for their poise in the later stages - something you expect from a veteran team, but a little surprising this early in a season with a young team.

Reaction Score
I had knots in my stomach when late in the game, scores were either tied or too close. Wondering if this is the one game that they will wilt. But there is something very special about this team, I guess it's "closing the deal". Great observation and post!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, this is a fairly young team, but it has learned how to close out games. They are focused in the present and just try to win each possession. That's exactly how streaks are built. Texas, Notre Dame, Florida State, and Baylor are all very good, so kudos to the Huskies. As Geno notes, this is not easy.

Reaction Score
Their stamina and conditioning appears to be superior to others at this early juncture of the season. Keeps them mentally tough and confident of shot-making and defense down the stretch. Auriemma alluded to this in the end-of-game remarks to Rowe, that this is why they put them through the pre-season regimen - to prepare them for these types of games.

But I gotta admit, UConn in recent years, post-Taurasi, has on occasion wilted or wavered when faced with another stout team that will not relent, staying close to them late in the game. Its what Jeff Walz alluded to years ago - you have to be within single digits (3 possessions) of UConn in the final 10 minutes to have a chance. THIS team? They have it in fifth gear and keep it there to the end. They are not afraid to lose, and thus unafraid to seize the moment.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This team is relentless in each game. Physically and mentally tough.

Watching Gabby last night after she got hit in the throat tells it all. She waved off coming out of the game. SHe calmly walks up to the charity stripe and sinks the shots. Unbelievable!

Reaction Score
5 ft 10 plus Gabby 19 points 12 Rebounds 6 ft 4inch Turner `12 points 12 rebounds

Collier 12 points in 29 minutes Turner 12 point in 39 minutes

Chong, Kia, Dangerfield, Butler they AREN't just pea soup--they are the glue and gutz of this team
They continue to do the small (but really big to win) things--look for the open cutter, watch the movement it's like a Buzzy Berkley
production---pleasure in motion.
Uconn--under sized but never under worked!!!!!

Reaction Score
This is very good point. I would add that I thought the team has played a grueling schedule in this stretch - travel, game, game, travel game and scholastic mid-terms too! Then the three musketeers play 40 minutes a piece and still have an extra gear to finish!

Reaction Score

Watching Gabby last night after she got hit in the throat tells it all. She waved off coming out of the game. SHe calmly walks up to the charity stripe and sinks the shots. Unbelievable!

I was angry----that was a flagrant foul---and the refs made it flatulent. It was a forearm to the throat--always called flagrant.

Reaction Score
5 ft 10 plus Gabby 19 points 12 Rebounds 6 ft 4inch Turner `12 points 12 rebounds

Collier 12 points in 29 minutes Turner 12 point in 39 minutes

Chong, Kia, Dangerfield, Butler they AREN't just pea soup--they are the glue and gutz of this team
They continue to do the small (but really big to win) things--look for the open cutter, watch the movement it's like a Buzzy Berkley
production---pleasure in motion.
Uconn--under sized but never under worked!!!!!
Turner plays surprisingly soft. The only time she started dominating was when Butler was in, another player that for her size plays soft.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sorry about this, but I am going to copy a post of mine from another thread because i think it is an interesting parallel to 'closing the deal' for the game. Last night they also closed the deal for each of the first three quarters - it is the same idea - you play 40 minutes and you don't let up, and in each quarter you play the full 10 minutes and you don't let up - well the Huskies didn't last night, even in the otherwise pretty poor 2nd Q, and ND definitely forgot about playing the last minute. (there is even a thread about it on McGraw's bench - '9 minute quarters' - and both Geno and Muffet commented after the game on the last minute of Q3. Here it is:

Interest key to this game and a weird little stat:
Quarter 1 - Uconn ends on a 4-0 run - starts with 0:27 left on the clock
Quarter 2 - Uconn ends on a 4-0 run - starts with 1:18 left
Quarter 3 - Uconn ends on a 6-0 run - starts with 0:50 left

14-0 in the last minute plus/minus of each quarter - margin in the game when garbage time started in at 1:19 of Q4 - 14 points.

This game was won in a combined 1:35 of clock time at the end of each of the first three quarters when Uconn scored 6 baskets and two free throws shooting 6-7 with two steals and no turnovers, no fouls.
In that same 1:35 of clock time ND was 0-3 with 3 turnovers and one foul.

This is what they mean about it being a forty minute game and every second counts. Some times coach speak plays out right in front of your eyes!

Reaction Score
Someone going to post the video of the game?

Is this Coach Auriemma's greatest coaching job? Is this string of games his best? No post player. Loses three of the best players ever to put on UConn uniforms. But then goes out and beats five of the best teams in the nation. And does it while a massive winning streak is on the line?

Reaction Score
Great post! I have really noticed this since the beginning of the season. This group has something really special about it. Just a swagger to them.

Other Uconn teams would crumble under the pressure in the last 4 minutes of it being a close game. They were so used to being ahead by a large amount that closing out games wasn't always the best. I remember Geno saying that most times Uconn goes into overtime they lose. I think that would be different this year.

They aren't afraid of the big moments or of losing. It really is make an entertaining season!

Reaction Score
Great post! I have really noticed this since the beginning of the season. This group has something really special about it. Just a swagger to them.

Other Uconn teams would crumble under the pressure in the last 4 minutes of it being a close game. They were so used to being ahead by a large amount that closing out games wasn't always the best. I remember Geno saying that most times Uconn goes into overtime they lose. I think that would be different this year.

They aren't afraid of the big moments or of losing. It really is make an entertaining season!
"Special" is a good term for this team. I have following many sports closely for many years and have never seen a team so mentally AND physically tough. While the job Gabby and Collier did last night was worthy of All-American status, Lou getting hammered the entire game and still having energy and smarts to make several clutch layups at the end of the game was a thrill. One of MANY examples of toughness displayed last night.

Reaction Score
Turner plays surprisingly soft. The only time she started dominating was when Butler was in, another player that for her size plays soft.
I don't know soft from hard!! I believe you mis- read Natalie Butlers lack of athletic ability for being soft--Ms Butler : Can't jump (much), lacks quickness- and she takes a beating and keeps on ticking--accept it or reject it--it is what it is!! However Geno et al knowing her lackings--plays her because : 1. she shoots exceptionally well, has good instincts, is a big big body with good hands there are only 3 players in the world that are Stef, Stew, DT and they all graduated. Butler is the big girl we have here and now. I have seen terrific improvement and very good minutes from her in her game. If Natalie didn't fill the VOID when Napeesa was side lined with fouls--this was a certain loss.

Reaction Score

Watching Gabby last night after she got hit in the throat tells it all. She waved off coming out of the game. SHe calmly walks up to the charity stripe and sinks the shots. Unbelievable![/QUOTE

SPEAKING OF CHEAP SHOTS: Gabby's throat chop, Dolson being thrown to the floor by the big forward who transferred to Michigan State, and Madison Cable undercutting Stewie when Brianna was over the rim; there seemed to be a culture of retaliation, emanating from ND frustrations. Granted, we survived these fouls, some of which were not called, and nobody went to the hospital or had their careers ended. But that was just by chance, not design. Okay, Lou threw an elbow, but only after winning the punching bag award apparently dished out to number one recruits with silky three-point shots.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I was angry----that was a flagrant foul---and the refs made it flatulent. It was a forearm to the throat--always called flagrant.

Broadway - I said to my wife after I saw the replay that it was a flagrant foul. Little Mabry no less! Then I said why don't the refs go to the replay monitor?

But hindesight is 20/ 20. What Gabby did stuck it to ND more than a flagrant call. It said "I'm tougher than you. Bring it on." In essence she said UConn is tougher than you.

Its the type of play that sticks with you. She was ND's nightmare all night!

Reaction Score

A foul flatulent foul is famously foul. Flatulence caused by a blow to the throat, while unusual, is also not usual. Flatulence produced by refs is, however, usual. :rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There is this thing I believe about how and why a team makes runs at the ends of quarters. I believe conspicuous runs during those times are due to focus and conditioning. Teams are generally a little worn mentally and physically at those times. UConn's conditioning has always been second to none, and this year is no different. Maintain the pace of play until the whistle blows. Maintain your focus and you'll execute. For all the substitutions Muffet made in the game there was a reason why her team looked like the more tired group at games end.

But give them credit. They saw Lou as their threat and they worked to contain her. Lou hit one 3 and didn't score off of the curl all night. Lou however just found different ways to score. Muffet attempted to limit Collier, but her style of play is so different, it's difficult to limit a player that keeps moving. Muffet was just blindsided by Gabby. The truth is Muffet knew last years big 3 inside out. She just couldn't stop them. No one could. This year big 3, this years team, has a short resume, and each night they're showing something a little different. That's tough on a coaching staff to prepare for. Not that it'll be any better the next time. What will this team be when its backcourt starts to really contribute? When they develop a little more consistency in the half court? Crystal has a little feel for Butler, and a little for Gabby. But players that keep moving like Pheese and Lou, you have to be on court with them on the regular to get a feel for their game, their spots, how they like the ball etc. This will come.

And did Geno choke up a bit after the game during the interview?

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And Geno chewing out Gabby during a timeout with 20 secs left for taking a bad shot is the essence of what makes this team, this program, great. Also, yes, I will admit to a little bit of gloating, a little selfishness, a feeling of being avenged. I'll apologize now. But every time UConn beats a team with players Geno recruited hard like Turner and Ogunbowale of ND or Cox of Baylor or Wilson of SC I say to myself, tough luck ladies. Most of you would have had your championship now, but you chose otherwise. Selfish self satisfaction.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Watching Gabby last night after she got hit in the throat tells it all. She waved off coming out of the game. She calmly walks up to the charity stripe and sinks the shots. Unbelievable!

True Warriors don't flinch when "nicked" in battle. These are the games, the "signature" and defining games, that will give this team the identity it's been looking to establish. Gabby is a warrior.

Reaction Score

Building on your comment...I believe a telling comment that characterizes this team was made by Gabby during her interview with Holly when she said (paraphrasing)..."why would I want to come out of the game, that is why I came to UCONN was to play in games like this!!!"

Kind of says it all about the type of players Gino attracts and aggressively seeks.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
And Geno chewing out Gabby during a timeout with 20 secs left for taking a bad shot is the essence of what makes this team, this program, great. Also, yes, I will admit to a little bit of gloating, a little selfishness, a feeling of being avenged. I'll apologize now. But every time UConn beats a team with players Geno recruited hard like Turner and Ogunbowale of ND or Cox of Baylor or Wilson of SC I say to myself, tough luck ladies. Most of you would have had your championship now, but you chose otherwise. Selfish self satisfaction.
That is exactly how I am...!!
Don't ever want to lose to a player that chose another team over UCONN..
Someone should keep that stat... :) - Wins over Recruited Players

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That is exactly how I am...!!
Don't ever want to lose to a player that chose another team over UCONN..
Someone should keep that stat... :) - Wins over Recruited Players
:)
I don't know, I don't take most recruiting 'losses' personally - kids are making an all-incompasing life choice when they choose a school and Uconn's location and atmosphere and academic programs may simply not fit with them, or they may not click personally with the coaches or other players. Rather they make a good choice for them than come and be miserable like Walker, because that then screws up the current team and messes up the planned recruiting for future years.

That said - yeah there are a few that I take personally, and 'revenge' tastes sweet. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom