This might be a larger signal than just the firing.. | The Boneyard

This might be a larger signal than just the firing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
When was the last time any UConn athletic administrator actually took this kind of action?

Maybe this is a sign that there will be some life up there. He was slow on the Ollie situation but didn't panic. Is this a sign of good things to come?

Don't let me down Warde.

Reaction Score
This is just the first step, and the easy part, and it took too long I think, but now is better than never. The important part, the hard part, is what happens from here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You make a good point. Now that P's gone, the disappointment I felt that WM didn't can P last December will start to fade. I'll allow myself to get optimistic.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Yes, it looks like we have feelers out to Nick Saban and the B1G is on line 1. Things are looking up. But seriously, that's at least how I feel.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Let's at least go 4-4 in conference. That's a signal

Reaction Score
I want to see an Identity to the football team. It used to be hard nosed punch you in the mouth, tough New England style. I'll take any kind of resemblance at this point.

Reaction Score
I cant give Warde that much credit for waiting until the whole $hithouse was burning to the ground to call fire. He's got a lot to do and prove in my mind before he gets a passing grade. The only thing he did was wait until the point where if he did not act his head would be on the block, not what I call a real visionary leader.

Reaction Score
This is just the first step, and the easy part, and it took too long I think, but now is better than never. The important part, the hard part, is what happens from here.

I know lots of people wanted him gone last year, and they might have been right. BUT - it is very easy to argue that Kiffin had a FAR worse year, and they waited 4 games into this year to fire him. As to this year? Firing him after Michigan would have seemed silly (like we are supposed to beat Michigan?).

Overall this worked out ok IMO. End of last year would have been better, but I'm happy it is done and we can move on.

Reaction Score
I know lots of people wanted him gone last year, and they might have been right. BUT - it is very easy to argue that Kiffin had a FAR worse year, and they waited 4 games into this year to fire him. As to this year? Firing him after Michigan would have seemed silly (like we are supposed to beat Michigan?).

Overall this worked out ok IMO. End of last year would have been better, but I'm happy it is done and we can move on.

Hey money - I meant it took too long I think, because I wanted him gone yesterday. In fact I would have had the locks changed by this morning.

Getting philosophizer mode here for sec, I have always subscribed to the simple concept that everything happens for a reason.

There were many reasons to argue back and forth and present valid and compelling arguments for retaining and getting rid of Pasqualoni over the past 2 and a quarter seasons. But they way things turned out, with the Michigan game and then this Buffalo game on the road, it was proof positive that the time had come to drop the hammer. The players made it crystal clear with their performances in back to back weeks, with the match ups that presented themselves on the schedule, that the coaching staff was done.

While I was wallowing yesterday in what possible reasons that Pasqualoni was still caoching, I let doubt creep in about the management of the university. it never occurred to me, that waiting until today, and not doing in this in the shadow of what USC did on the left coast, and putting together a publicity thing with this now, making it very clear that UCONN is about winning, it was probably smarter to wait and do this like this, and not yesterday.

Reaction Score
Hey money - I meant it took too long I think, because I wanted him gone yesterday. In fact I would have had the locks changed by this morning.

Getting philosophizer mode here for sec, I have always subscribed to the simple concept that everything happens for a reason.

There were many reasons to argue back and forth and present valid and compelling arguments for retaining and getting rid of Pasqualoni over the past 2 and a quarter seasons. But they way things turned out, with the Michigan game and then this Buffalo game on the road, it was proof positive that the time had come to drop the hammer. The players made it crystal clear with their performances in back to back weeks, with the match ups that presented themselves on the schedule, that the coaching staff was done.

While I was wallowing yesterday in what possible reasons that Pasqualoni was still caoching, I let doubt creep in about the management of the university. it never occurred to me, that waiting until today, and not doing in this in the shadow of what USC did on the left coast, and putting together a publicity thing with this now, making it very clear that UCONN is about winning, it was probably smarter to wait and do this like this, and not yesterday.

Also - USC is private and UCONN is public, which means that unilateral actions aren't taken. I'm actually pretty impressed with the speed, given all of the constituents involved.

Reaction Score
Also - USC is private and UCONN is public, which means that unilateral actions aren't taken. I'm actually pretty impressed with the speed, given all of the constituents involved.

Correct. What it shows, is that what I was pissing on about, Manuel having a plan, ready to go, is indeed the case.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst pulled this trigger. She approved the buyout and has had a singular bluprint for moving this institution to a higher level. That requires AAU type academic status and a much larger endowment for starters. The enthusiasm required for funding by legislators, alumni, and boosters requires us to excel at both Football and Basketball. Those on this board who presume she'd rather have us in the MAC for football are sadly mistaken. This is an absolute commitment to excellence and she knew firing Coach P today would link the media coverage with the Kiffin move. It, at the very least, showed the sportsworld that UConn is serious about winning.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Susan Herbst pulled this trigger. She approved the buyout and has had a singular bluprint for moving this institution to a higher level. That requires AAU type academic status and a much larger endowment for starters. The enthusiasm required for funding by legislators, alumni, and boosters requires us to excel at both Football and Basketball. Those on this board who presume she'd rather have us in the MAC for football are sadly mistaken. This is an absolute commitment to excellence and she knew firing Coach P today would link the media coverage with the Kiffin move. It, at the very least, showed the sportsworld that UConn is serious about winning.
It seems pretty clear that the actions speak louder than words in this case, but I'm sure a contingent of Boneyarders will not be swayed until we not only get in the Big Ten but win its championship game and go to the CFB playoffs.

Reaction Score
Trust me, Susan Herbst does not suffer fools. Based on my personal experiences with her and how she reacted immediately to an (unrelated to PP) concern I raised and had her highly positioned and well known associate get back to me three separate times--on a Sunday--two emails and a phone call---including a final update at 10:30pm with a satisfactory explanation --she wants results and is relentless in their pursuit. I had other instances when I contacted Austin or Hogan on a similar type of issue. I never heard back from them or their minions.
She is moving this University forward on many fronts, including a determination to get us placed in the B1G or ACC. I have no doubt she will succeed. It's simply a matter of time and several milestones being met ---AAU and higher endowment as examples. And this coaching change is another very important and absolutely necessary step on the road to UConn's perception as being serious about its football program and having it viewed as significant, rather than a humerous footnote. Don't bet against her.

Reaction Score
Trust me, Susan Herbst does not suffer fools. Based on my personal experiences with her and how she reacted immediately to an (unrelated to PP) concern I raised and had her highly positioned and well known associate get back to me three separate times--on a Sunday--two emails and a phone call---including a final update at 10:30pm with a satisfactory explanation --she wants results and is relentless in their pursuit. I had other instances when I contacted Austin or Hogan on a similar type of issue. I never heard back from them or their minions.
She is moving this University forward on many fronts, including a determination to get us placed in the B1G or ACC. I have no doubt she will succeed. It's simply a matter of time and several milestones being met ---AAU and higher endowment as examples. And this coaching change is another very important and absolutely necessary step on the road to UConn's perception as being serious about its football program and having it viewed as significant, rather than a humerous footnote. Don't bet against her.

Susan was also overheard favoring the power blocking scheme of the past. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01