This is why you don't sit on a lead against Buffalo | The Boneyard

This is why you don't sit on a lead against Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A week ago, UConn had the opportunity to build chemistry, confidence and consistency in their passing game. A big lead against Buffalo meant they could have spent the second half working on the passing game. They could have gotten reps in a situation with live bullets firing. They could have worked on routes and timing.

Instead, the coaches sent a message to the offense that they had no confidence in the passing game. The ran, ran, ran. And when the run didn't work, they ran more.

Would it have made a difference this week? Would another 100 yards of passing and a few more reps have made a difference?

I don't know. I do know that an opportunity to build chemistry, confidence and consistency was thrown away.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
After yesterday's game, I look at Buffalo and think the coaches ran the ball because they can't count on Whitmer to not throw picks and didn't want vandy redux.

Reaction Score
A week ago, UConn had the opportunity to build chemistry, confidence and consistency in their passing game. A big lead against Buffalo meant they could have spent the second half working on the passing game. They could have gotten reps in a situation with live bullets firing. They could have worked on routes and timing.

Instead, the coaches sent a message to the offense that they had no confidence in the

passing game. The ran, ran, ran. And when the run didn't work, they ran more.
Would it have made a difference this week? Would another 100 yards of passing and a few more reps have made a difference?

I don't know. I do know that an opportunity to build chemistry, confidence and consistency was thrown away.

Agreed. Stop treating the passing game like you are on a high wire across Niagra Falls. Throw the ball, every else seems to be capable of it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
After yesterday's game, I look at Buffalo and think the coaches ran the ball because they can't count on Whitmer to not throw picks and didn't want vandy redux.

That is it in a nutshell. The staff (possibly just GD) does not trust the offense at all (the end of the first half is evidence of this) which in my eyes is an indictment of the staff more than the players.

Reaction Score
I don't think they have the players to run the type of offense they're using even if they increase the passing game. Whitmer is fairly accurate on short passes with a little time. I'd rather see a west coast offense from the gun with an empty backfield or keeping a big back or tight end in to block and to take an occasional pass or run.

Reaction Score
I don't think they have the players to run the type of offense they're using even if they increase the passing game. Whitmer is fairly accurate on short passes with a little time. I'd rather see a west coast offense from the gun with an empty backfield or keeping a big back or tight end in to block and to take an occasional pass or run.

I am 100% in agreement. With all the plays GDL has in his house, I'd like to see this.

Reaction Score

Talk about living in the past. The two situations were not alike in anyway. Besides, he pissed away the lead running the ball.

If you want a confident offense, you have show confidence in them.

Reaction Score
Talk about living in the past. The two situations were not alike in anyway. Besides, he pissed away the lead running the ball.

If you want a confident offense, you have show confidence in them.

What you state is such a simple concept. There is a reason, why McCombs looks sharper and more confident than Delorenzo and Hyppolite. Up until yesterday, he had received most of the in game carries for the past year and a half. He is sharper, but barely more effective. You want an offense that isn't going three and out all the time, throw the ball on first and second down. Its amazing to me. McCombs shouldn't have played yesterday out of principle, yet P was in a rush to get him in the game for his 12 carry 30 yard contribution. You lost me coach, you lost me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom