This is getting embarassing... | The Boneyard

This is getting embarassing...

Reaction Score
I don't mind losing, but to flat out be dominated defensively like that was pathetic, and AT HOME, in YOUR OPENER. I really don't want to call for a man's job, but at some point change is needed.

Reaction Score
They only scored in the 60's so that isn't what embarrassed me, it was how we had 12 points at halftime with good college div 1 recruits. I don't even know what to call that.

Reaction Score
Its pretty amazing that both Oklahoma St. and Oregon scored 18 points in about the first 5 minutes against UConn and it took UConn about 23 minutes to score that many today.

Reaction Score
Enoch has a body a coach would salivate to, yet he doesnt really seem to know how to play the game of basketball or use it at all, is that on him or the coaching staff?

Reaction Score
I don't mind losing, but to flat out be dominated defensively like that was pathetic, and AT HOME, in YOUR OPENER. I really don't want to call for a man's job, but at some point change is needed.

I'll try this your way. We had TWO AND ONE HALF PERIMETER PLAYERS TO MAN THREE PERIMETER POSITIONS. ONE AND ONE HALF OF THEM were OVERWHELMED FRESHMEN. We had ZERO POINT GUARDS. And you are shocked that we struggled to score?

Listen, you want to gripe about the 0-2 start? Fine. You want to raise concerns about player development? Fine. But if you want to hammer the coach based on this game, then you may want to try following a simpler sport. Maybe PONG.

Reaction Score
I'll try this your way. We had TWO AND ONE HALF PERIMETER PLAYERS TO MAN THREE PERIMETER POSITIONS. ONE AND ONE HALF OF THEM were OVERWHELMED FRESHMEN. We had ZERO POINT GUARDS. And you are shocked that we struggled to score?

Listen, you want to gripe about the 0-2 start? Fine. You want to raise concerns about player development? Fine. But if you want to hammer the coach based on this game, then you may want to try following a simpler sport. Maybe PONG.
I agree. I expected this to happen without Adams and all the other injuries they already had. Right now this team is just plain hexed. I refuse to complain about today's game.

Reaction Score
I agree. I expected this to happen without Adams and all the other injuries they already had. Right now this team is just plain hexed. I refuse to complain about today's game.
I agree too. Hoped for better. But it was to be expected. Heck, they played half court D. Did us a favor!

Reaction Score

Idk what the hell people expect from a team missing their 3 best players and having their 2 extremely frustrating seniors play like ass on a team that has 7 live bodies that are even capable of playing at this level. I don't think there's an organized basketball team in the world that would look good if you wiped out their 3 best players and told them they could only play 7 guys. This situation is extremely frustrating but ultimately blameless.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DOLT plain and simple DOLT

Reaction Score
Why can't our fans be as optimistic and pragmatic as Kelvin Sampson is?

“I think you go day to day, the way you get through that is the culture that you’ve established. A lot of schools are going to have a good team here and there, but when you have great coaching, that means you have a great program. And that’s what Connecticut’s had for a long time. It’s one of those programs that coaches admire from a distance for a long time. I coached against Jim a lot of years. Kevin’s taken it over. They’ll be fine. Those kids will be back eventually, maybe not this year but next year. It’s not life or death.”

The Boneyard like a wild pendulum of highs and lows based only on the last game. There is no in between. I'm not going to bother to go back and look, but I'm fairly sure someone predicted we would win the title again after the Syracuse game. The screams of "fire Ollie!" after every loss are exhausting. He needs to win another title so we can put an end to it, because I'm pretty sure that's what it will take.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

“I think you go day to day, the way you get through that is the culture that you’ve established. A lot of schools are going to have a good team here and there, but when you have great coaching, that means you have a great program. And that’s what Connecticut’s had for a long time. It’s one of those programs that coaches admire from a distance for a long time. I coached against Jim a lot of years. Kevin’s taken it over. They’ll be fine. Those kids will be back eventually, maybe not this year but next year. It’s not life or death.”

The Boneyard like a wild pendulum of highs and lows based only on the last game. There is no in between. I'm not going to bother to go back and look, but I'm fairly sure someone predicted we would win the title again after the Syracuse game. The screams of "fire Ollie!" after every loss are exhausting. He needs to win another title so we can put an end to it, because I'm pretty sure that's what it will take.

Largely agree with this. My only issue with this team is missing open shots repeatedly... Becoming a good shooter at the D1 level is a matter of will, time and dedication.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Any team that is forced to play Rodney Purvis at point guard will not win. that is a fact.

Honestly, he can be a bit player on a good team, but at this stage in his development and career, if he's playing starter level minutes, I don't think that team will be "successful" on the grand scale.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Nah! Sometimes the issue is with a particular type of fan.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
This is what happens when your missing your 3 best players, literally missing you three best players and have 8 scholarship players and one of those players is a walk on.

If you told any of us the starting lineup will be....

Purvis
Vital
Jackson
Facey
Brimah

With not one guard off the bench we would've all said okay we will probably be lucky to win 2 conference games.

Let's be realistic Byarders, yes it's a disasterous season but let's not starting pointing fingers.

It's called the injury bug.

Believe me, I am so frustrated to watch this season but nothing we can do and no one to blame besides the good all inj bug.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Largely agree with this. My only issue with this team is missing open shots repeatedly... Becoming a good shooter at the D1 level is a matter of will, time and dedication.
You certainly need the things you describe. However imo the most important ingredient separating the performance of equally talented individuals is confidence and confidence is influenced by a host of factors.

Honestly, he can be a bit player on a good team, but at this stage in his development and career, if he's playing starter level minutes, I don't think that team will be "successful" on the grand scale.

This team lacks a player like 3rd year Kemba who can carry the team on it's back and take the pressure off other players until they develop. Jalen is not quite at that level yet. Or Bazz who is poised and can make a crucial shot in situations that are critical. Or KEA who can relax players on the court and make the game fun for them even though they were playing for an absurdly demanding coach. Or Caron who can go up to his team mates and find the right ways to help them hold their heads up when things are going badly. Or a Nadav/Emeka type who are very talented, very dedicated and lead by quiet stoicism.

Rodney would thrive with all the player I listed except maybe the last category. I feel he has the talent but lacks confidence. And the more pressure that is put on him to win games the more likely he will fail.

Reaction Score
You certainly need the things you describe. However imo the most important ingredient separating the performance of equally talented individuals is confidence and confidence is influenced by a host of factors.

This team lacks a player like 3rd year Kemba who can carry the team on it's back and take the pressure off other players until they develop. Jalen is not quite at that level yet. Or Bazz who is poised and can make a crucial shot in situations that are critical. Or KEA who can relax players on the court and make the game fun for them even though they were playing for an absurdly demanding coach. Or Caron who can go up to his team mates and find the right ways to help them hold their heads up when things are going badly. Or a Nadav/Emeka type who are very talented, very dedicated and lead by quiet stoicism.

Rodney would thrive with all the player I listed except maybe the last category. I feel he has the talent but lacks confidence. And the more pressure that is put on him to win games the more likely he will fail.
Really good post and I agree with with everything including Adams not being at shabazz or kw level yet. I think Rodney has gotten better and has some talent. His shooting has improved overall last year. Unfortunately this year he is in a season long funk except a Syracuse and now playing out of position. I would our rather see Vital at point but he seems hesitant. No excuse for facey and brimah who just aren't that good and played horribly yesterday.

H

huskymagic

Balker, what do you think Sampson is going to say that Kevin Ollie sucks and I hope UCONN keeps him as long as possible? It's called politics and doublespeak. That quote by Sampson tells you all you need to know: "They'll be fine...eventually...It's not life or death." Kevin Ollie doesn't strike fear in opposing coaches. Think about what else he said "great coaching...that's what Connecticut HAD not what they have currently but what they had he says. You really don't even need to read between the lines here because he is being quite literal here in what he is saying about Ollie and the program. For all we know Sampson is probably saying to himself I hope Kevin Ollie stays around for another 5-10 years so that I have a guaranteed W against him and UCONN.

P.S. HAMI COMMIT BRING HAMMER TIME BACK TO STORRS

Reaction Score
If we were in the ACC/Big 10 or 12, would you make a coaching change?

Reaction Score
Oh yes no doubt. Only one NC in 4 years isn't good enough.....next
I don't think many want to see KO go anytime soon but the 2 years following the NC were not pretty....this was the year to rectify that so now that gets pushed to next year with the injuries. If we struggle to win even the middling games next year like we have the past 3 years can we at least begin to question things.

I think KO & UConn should & will have a very positive season next year....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom