Thinking of cutting the cord, but worried about missing games. | The Boneyard

Thinking of cutting the cord, but worried about missing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are considering dropping our Frontier bundle (landline telephone, cable tv and internet), and getting a streaming device such as Roku. We are looking into high speed cable internet through Comcast. Has anyone gone this route? I don't think we will miss our landline phone, as the only calls we get on it are from telemarketers. I am worried about missing games, though. Does anyone know if I'll still be able to watch games using the setup of Roku, or another streaming device, and cable internet?

Reaction Score
There's a whole thread on this board already in which it sounds like watching games through streaming via WatchESPN/ESPN3 isn't going to be an option:

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/esp...-sny-broadcasted-games-this-year.81671/unread

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading along with that thread, and I considered posting this there. I didn't want to hijack the thread with my basic questions, since I've never streamed games before. I was more looking for information of what people are using for streaming, and will the setup I'm considering work... just in case the games will end up being streamed. I've watched other shows online, using my laptop, and I thought I had to log on with my cable provider information in order to do so. Is this a requirement for games, as well? Can games still be streamed, if I drop my cable tv coverage? See what I mean about basic questions. LOL Everything I know about streaming tv could probably fill a thimble.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks for the reply. I have been reading along with that thread, and I considered posting this there. I didn't want to hijack the thread with my basic questions, since I've never streamed games before. I was more looking for information of what people are using for streaming, and will the setup I'm considering work... just in case the games will end up being streamed. I've watched other shows online, using my laptop, and I thought I had to log on with my cable provider information in order to do so. Is this a requirement for games, as well? Can games still be streamed, if I drop my cable tv coverage? See what I mean about basic questions. LOL Everything I know about streaming tv could probably fill a thimble.
Don't be shy, hijacking a Boneyard thread is considered a respectable time honored inevitable tradition.
The ESPN3 streaming service will request that you provide cable provider information (logon & password) to stream the UCONN games at least it has the last few years.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Usually for WatchESPN (aka ESPN3), you only need a cable provider login if you are trying to watch a game that is currently airing live on an ESPN network. So if you're watching an ESPN or ESPN2 game live, you need a login. If the game is ESPN3 only or if you are watching a replay, you won't need a cable login.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure there are no on-line options at the moment that will allow you to watch Uconn games without at least some TV service. Neither SNY nor the ESPN streaming options have a stand alone purchase option at this time. And I don't believe SNY is included in any of the internet TV packages. I suspect this will change soon, but not for this season.
FYI on landline - emergency services set up locally typically depend on landline - you may be able to specially register your cell phones for that purpose, but it is just something to be aware of - not a deal changer, just something that some people are not aware of.

Reaction Score
We are considering dropping our Frontier bundle (landline telephone, cable tv and internet), and getting a streaming device such as Roku. We are looking into high speed cable internet through Comcast. Has anyone gone this route? I don't think we will miss our landline phone, as the only calls we get on it are from telemarketers. I am worried about missing games, though. Does anyone know if I'll still be able to watch games using the setup of Roku, or another streaming device, and cable internet?

AppleTV may be an option. It's 100 bucks for the device. They carry WatchESPN (ESPN3) and that is how I was able to watch replays of the games. I can't remember if they carry the games live though.

I recently chucked my landline also. I'm thinking of dropping Direct TV also and going the streaming route. I just switched to Charter internet and most everything I watch is available as an app except WCB. Direct TV's sports package does provide a lot of games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have Apple TV and you can watch live games on Watch ESPN, but you have to use your cable/Direct TV on-line account username/password to access it. I would NOT go this direction if you want to watch games.

Reaction Score

Don't know if you'll still see the games---but--I went "frontier" a number of years ago, with my family, I was still gainfully employed then---everyone one I knew wanted me to have a telephone--a must have--lived that ways 6 months and being without immediate contact was WONDERFUL. I finally submitted to external pressures and--the "you are nuttier than a fruit cake" comments got the results intended. Freedom is not having a telephone/wireless/wifi, email-etc. The job got done while I was "on the job", not at home.

Reaction Score
I currently use Cox for cable/internet/landline.

If you go with Roku you can subscribe to Sling TV for about $25/mo. and get a lot of cable channels. You can also subscribe through that service to get all the ESPN channels for $5/mo. They still would black out live SNY games on ESPN3 but I believe they would be available as a replay. I've been considering doing it but will probably wait till the end of this season. With a digital antenna I can get all the network stations and another half dozen independents. I have a Roku streaming device and use it now to watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and UTube.

I've also discovered that I can buy an VOIP device and replace my $30/mo phone bill with a $5/mo VOIP (phone over the internet).

I sent an email to SNY asking they consider offering a streaming option. I'd gladly pay $5/mo for the 5 months that UCOnn is on. It looking like that may be the future of television. At least I'm hoping it is.

Reaction Score
I have Comcast cable TV bundled with internet specifically to get SNY. I see all the games that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom