Thinking of cutting cable | The Boneyard

Thinking of cutting cable

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
And getting the Mohu Leaf for basic channels, keeping Netflix and amazon prime and getting a chromebox to stream episodes online like watchseries. Anyone pull the plug on cable that might be able to offer some helpful hints? I did the math, I'd be saving over $1,000 a year after giving back the DVR boxes and canceling cable.

Reaction Score
And getting the Mohu Leaf for basic channels, keeping Netflix and amazon prime and getting a chromebox to stream episodes online like watchseries. Anyone pull the plug on cable that might be able to offer some helpful hints? I did the math, I'd be saving over $1,000 a year after giving back the DVR boxes and canceling cable.

How are you going to watch UConn?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
xbox 360 has an ESPN app that I can stream most games. worst case scenario I can use ballstreams.com for $100 a year that gets me nba/ncaa and other sports that may be playing live.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 75
Reaction Score
xbox 360 has an ESPN app that I can stream most games. worst case scenario I can use ballstreams.com for $100 a year that gets me nba/ncaa and other sports that may be playing live.

The ESPN app requires you to have a cable TV package with a service provider that is paying ESPN. Unless things have changed recently, you can't use it if you've cut the cord.

Reaction Score
My daughter has basic cable (for the local channels), Apple TV, & Hulu. She's pretty happy. When she showed me the Apple TV, I was amazed at how many channels are available that I never heard of. It seems that there's a channel for any interest.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My daughter has basic cable (for the local channels), Apple TV, & Hulu. She's pretty happy. When she showed me the Apple TV, I was amazed at how many channels are available that I never heard of. It seems that there's a channel for any interest.

I've been thinking about dropping my cable, but as kong as my internet is provided by the same company, they'll get me one way or the other.

Last edited:

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
i'm paying 150 a month. If I drop cable and just use internet its 60 a month.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
The ESPN app requires you to have a cable TV package with a service provider that is paying ESPN. Unless things have changed recently, you can't use it if you've cut the cord.

Yes you're right, I forgot about that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
First of all, threaten to leave cable before actually leaving cable and see what they will do for you. I have U-Verse and get $300 worth of services in my bundle for under $200/month because i keep getting promo rates every time I threaten to leave. I get every English speaking channel, which is pretty cool if also a giant time waster. I would cut my home phone but I need a landline fairly often for work calls.

I am actually on the fence on Netflix. I have watched Mad Men and Breaking Bad, and I am not sure what else is left. I like House of Cards and will occasionally watch a rerun of West Wing, but I don't know that I would pay for West Wing and House of Cards isn't worth $100 a year by itself.

ATT U-Verse enables me to watch streaming videos of all the major channels, so I can watch old Sopranos, Entourage and Shameless episodes any time I want. I watch those more often than I watch West Wing. I hope Frontier maintains that feature.

You also need cable to watch sports.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
First of all, threaten to leave cable before actually leaving cable and see what they will do for you. I have U-Verse and get $300 worth of services in my bundle for under $200/month because i keep getting promo rates every time I threaten to leave. I get every English speaking channel, which is pretty cool if also a giant time waster. I would cut my home phone but I need a landline fairly often for work calls.

I am actually on the fence on Netflix. I have watched Mad Men and Breaking Bad, and I am not sure what else is left. I like House of Cards and will occasionally watch a rerun of West Wing, but I don't know that I would pay for West Wing and House of Cards isn't worth $100 a year by itself.

ATT U-Verse enables me to watch streaming videos of all the major channels, so I can watch old Sopranos, Entourage and Shameless episodes any time I want. I watch those more often than I watch West Wing. I hope Frontier maintains that feature.

You also need cable to watch sports.

www.ballstreams.com, you just need an internet connection.

Reaction Score

I believe ESPN is providing a subscription based service for streaming NBA games w/out cable TV as part of the new tv deal. Hopefully the other sports follow.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Cut the cord on Friday and I'm able to stream everything the next day on different network websites using my previous online ID. Now paying 64.99 for internet, bought a chromebox and roku. The ESPN app still shows my UCONN replays which is even better. Just need to get the ballstreams app up and running to watch live sports and I should be good to go. I'll be paying 100 less per month to watch tv.

It's so liberating.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I should try to do it again. I would have a few years ago but my wife hated the idea... although she recently discovered the Chromecast and had me get a second for the bedroom TV, hopefully that will speed up the process.

Reaction Score
I just recently turned back to cable (already regretting it), but when I cut the chord this is what I did:

- Antenna - Able to watch college football and nfl games. More than enough good games.
- ROKU 3 Player with the following channels:
Amazon Prime - Has some good tv seasons on it, a lot of history channel shows I like (How old am I, 96?)
Amazon on demand (not sure if that is what it is called). I would buy individual episodes for the couple series I liked (Vikings, Walking Dead). They would be available the day after they originally aired.
MLB.TV - Awesome. Got home and away broadcasts for a ton of teams.
History Channel - I wish I had known earlier, but they aired episodes of the Vikings Season 2 for free
- Redbox - When I wanted to see a movie, I would rent a couple at the local red box kiosk.

What I missed:
- Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire (HBO just announced a stand alone service so this problem is solved)
- NFL Redzone channel
- UCONN games - I have seen every uconn game, but it is extremely difficult to find them. Wish Watch ESPN became a standalone channel.

I am hoping we start seeing more ala carte streaming options, so I can switch again.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I have an xbox 360 so I can watch uconn games on the ESPN app most of the time. for some reason I'm still getting basic cable after i put the cord from the wall that went into the cable box into the tv and i get 1-13 and a bunch of other random network channels. with hbo and cbs offering a live stream service, this might be dawn of a new era that will be changing tv forever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom