Things to look for... | The Boneyard

Things to look for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Wouldn't have been my first choice but given the tight timeline, HCRE may be a good choice to at least get us back to a point of stability. One positive (I think) is that he'll get more out of the roster he inherits than bd would've.

Some things I'll hope to see. Some of this is a departure from HCRE1.0 but we can hope the years away have expanded his outlook:

QB - Bring back Sheriffs, move Davis back to QB, bring in a JUCO, and give Williams his red shirt year back...

Def - Accept that you can't shut down offenses any more; winning defense means getting one or two key stops down the stretch just like in hoops -- you do that with risk taking and aggression, not passivity

OL - doesn't have to be Foley but has to be a return to Foley's formula; we could just plug guys in in those days

Off - Need to see a commitment to playing winning, aggressive offense with rhythm and tempo; don't have to throw it all over the yard but offense needs to be more than a supporting component to the defense

Specials - Be best not to ignore 1/3 of the game...

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I agree with most - but I'd like to see Davis stay at TE. I think he can be a weapon there and we'll get more out of him than if he was a backup QB.
maybe two juco's then -- it was stupid to move him last year if you were unwilling to play Anderson....

Reaction Score
maybe two juco's then -- it was stupid to move him last year if you were unwilling to play Anderson....

Yeah we always talk about coaches leaving the cupboard bare but Diaco really did a number to the QB position. We may have to move someone back to QB out of necessity, but then you run into an issue of whether or not they stick around if they know they're being delegated to a backup QB job.

If we snag Breiner as our OC we might be able to get his QB from last year to come with. He was a SR.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Edsall touch base with Jay Rose the Southington QB. It's possible he left because he wants to be a QB and crazy Bob decided otherwise. Kid's a heck of an athlete with a strong arm. It wouldn't hurt to have a conversation.

Reaction Score
The best thing about Edsall is that he won't get lost on campus. Withholding judgement on the rest. His staff, the recruits, the team, will all determine how I feel. He's in a deep hole, and a much different situation than he was in before.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Edsall touch base with Jay Rose the Southington QB. It's possible he left because he wants to be a QB and crazy Bob decided otherwise. Kid's a heck of an athlete with a strong arm. It wouldn't hurt to have a conversation.
I think you'd have to give a scholly to his girlfriend, as well. But, if you can lure him back see if you can get Dario Highsmith too.;)

Reaction Score

That's not why he left.

Reaction Score
Things I expect with Edsall back:

• Discipline.
  • No more friendly pats on the back when someone makes a boneheaded play. And you can be sure he won't leave a player in and smile and clap when said player commits a personal foul, like FHCBD.
  • Players will know their responsibilities on offense and defense. Or they won't be out there.
  • He will have the team attempt punt returns!

What I would like to see:
  • I want to see a little more aggressive defense. Coach Edsall did not like to blitz at all.
  • Reevaluation of positions. Maybe move a wr to db or a DE to OL.
  • More of an effort to be fan friendly, even if he has to bite his lip while doing so.
  • Make more of an effort to be consistent in his reach out to CT HS coaches. Its okay if some hold grudges, still put out the olive branch to start out. Then when a guy like Marinelli still cries, ignore him.
  • Feature Alec Bloom as a Wide Receiver. I believe that he was ridiculously underutilized as a receiving threat. He is a huge target with a big catch radius. Get him the ball.
  • I know I sound like a broken record, but bring Mike Foley back to coach O Line. He has worked magic before and is a great teacher.
  • Look to JUCO ranks and graduate transfers at least for his first two years. I expect a decent amount of attrition, as can be expected with a new hire.
  • Find a speed rusher on this roster. Maybe convert a rb to d end.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
There are holes- QB is not deep enough and hopefully Shireffs comes back.
4 tailbacks on roster
O Line - short on depth
DB corner should be OK - need work on the safeties
New kickers - Randy had great kickers and punters.
Do we have a punt returner?

Randy had good defensive backfields- shut down corners and good safeties. He will fix that and get the O-Line working well shortly.

Positives - lots of bodies on DL and LB, WR and good underutilized TE.
Arkeel will go for 1500 rushing and 500 passing yards
If he comes back, Shireffs is the leader Randy likes on O

Reaction Score
The best thing about Edsall is that he won't get lost on campus. Withholding judgement on the rest. His staff, the recruits, the team, will all determine how I feel. He's in a deep hole, and a much different situation than he was in before.

Deep hole? Randy is coming into the Taj Mahal compared to when he started the first time.

You hear people talk about coming from trailers? It's literally true. Randy had a trailer for an office.

Weight rooms. Never saw them but think about it. If the coach has an office in a trailer, I mean c'mon.

The team he inherits will be, for the most part RKG's and they will be much better, overall, than a 1AA (now FCS) team he started with last time.

This is a lottery ticket for Randy and hopefully he cashes it in. Not many people get a second chance at righting a wrong.

If he rebuilds this program to an 10-3/9-4/8-5 type team he would probably get a street on campus named after him.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
There are holes- QB is not deep enough and hopefully Shireffs comes back.
4 tailbacks on roster
O Line - short on depth
DB corner should be OK - need work on the safeties
New kickers - Randy had great kickers and punters.
Do we have a punt returner?

Randy had good defensive backfields- shut down corners and good safeties. He will fix that and get the O-Line working well shortly.

Positives - lots of bodies on DL and LB, WR and good underutilized TE.
Arkeel will go for 1500 rushing and 500 passing yards
If he comes back, Shireffs is the leader Randy likes on O

It's difficult to answer this question because nobody was ever allowed to return a freakin' punt!

Reaction Score
Things I expect with Edsall back:

• Discipline.
  • No more friendly pats on the back when someone makes a boneheaded play. And you can be sure he won't leave a player in and smile and clap when said player commits a personal foul, like FHCBD.
  • Players will know their responsibilities on offense and defense. Or they won't be out there.
  • He will have the team attempt punt returns!

What I would like to see:
  • I want to see a little more aggressive defense. Coach Edsall did not like to blitz at all.
  • Reevaluation of positions. Maybe move a wr to db or a DE to OL.
  • More of an effort to be fan friendly, even if he has to bite his lip while doing so.
  • Make more of an effort to be consistent in his reach out to CT HS coaches. Its okay if some hold grudges, still put out the olive branch to start out. Then when a guy like Marinelli still cries, ignore him.
  • Feature Alec Bloom as a Wide Receiver. I believe that he was ridiculously underutilized as a receiving threat. He is a huge target with a big catch radius. Get him the ball.
  • I know I sound like a broken record, but bring Mike Foley back to coach O Line. He has worked magic before and is a great teacher.
  • Look to JUCO ranks and graduate transfers at least for his first two years. I expect a decent amount of attrition, as can be expected with a new hire.
  • Find a speed rusher on this roster. Maybe convert a rb to d end.
Okay with most of your points. Do take exception with your CT HS coaches...PP was the god send for this point and look where that got us. They need to get over it...talent is always found regardless of location. Sure, hold clinics and camps but in reality is there is a very limited number of players capable of competing at that level. Resources flow to the best opportunities.

Reaction Score
We need to recruit more kids that played running back in high school so they can be converted to DB's, LB's and maybe DE. We need to get faster to defend the spread offenses and rush the passer. People like Reggie McClain, Tyvon Branch, Scott Lutrus. We missed out big time with Matekevich who ran the ball in HS. This will also help our specials out and maybe we can return a GD punt.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Deep hole? Randy is coming into the Taj Mahal compared to when he started the first time.

You hear people talk about coming from trailers? It's literally true. Randy had a trailer for an office.

Weight rooms. Never saw them but think about it. If the coach has an office in a trailer, I mean c'mon.

The team he inherits will be, for the most part RKG's and they will be much better, overall, than a 1AA (now FCS) team he started with last time.

This is a lottery ticket for Randy and hopefully he cashes it in. Not many people get a second chance at righting a wrong.

If he rebuilds this program to an 10-3/9-4/8-5 type team he would probably get a street on campus named after him.
I have always advocated for a statue in front of the Rent!!

Reaction Score
I have always advocated for a statue in front of the Rent!!

Maybe we can talk about the statue after back to back New Years Day Bowl appearances. (whatever that is called where the top G5 team plays)

Hey if a MAC team can do it once. :D

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

There are certainly some holes that it would be foolish to ignore completey. QB and Safety are the two most obvious and the OL is full of guys that weren't able to push out one of the most incompetent lines this team has ever had.

That being said, I completely agree with a lot of the rest of your points. Diaco was a disaster but his kids were good kids who bought into the program and his vision and worked hard. Not their fault they didn't have the right guy to mold them.

My biggest thing to look for though @SeoulHuskyFan is the OC, DC and the assistant salary pool. Not looking to get the entire band back together and would prefer the opposite. Get some younger, bright minds who can bring more inspired thinking that is tempered by the experience of HCRE and maybe a few others (i.e. Foley). I have to think that the money we "saved" from paying him a lot less (somewhere between $700k - $1 million / year) will be going into getting quality coordinators.

If that doesn't happen and we end up with a bunch of small-time thinking / just follow Randy's directive kind of guys, I doubt we'll have a good chance of being successful in this next phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom