Thing I Want to Hear from the New Coach | The Boneyard

Thing I Want to Hear from the New Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"We're going to play an aggressive, explosive brand of football. I've never believed that playing in the northeast limits the kind of offense you can run. We're going to play a style that fans can be excited about."

Yours?

Reaction Score
"We're going to play an aggressive, explosive brand of football. I've never believed that playing in the northeast limits the kind of offense you can run. We're going to play a style that fans can be excited about."

Yours?

We are going to concentrate on scoring points in large amounts. Defense will be utilized to give the offense an occasional breather AND make one or two big stops at the end of a game. As for the "northeast" football mentality (the Bob Diaco philosophy) those days are gone from college football.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Yours?

I want to hear:

Not a damn thing.

I want to win games, not press conferences.

Reaction Score

Yours?

I'm pretty sure the first line from your quote was lifted verbatim from Diaco's introductory press conference. And we know how turned out.

I don't give a what the coach says. I just want an actual adult with a history of offensive success.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the first line from your quote was lifted verbatim from Diaco's introductory press conference. And we know how turned out.

That could be.

Maybe it would be more accurate to say that I want a coach who actually follows through on what they say when talking about wanting to play an aggressive, exciting brand of offensive football that actually draws fans and recruits.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I want to hear about RKGs and proper vitamin D levels. I want to hear about energy vampires and fish oil cake. I want to hear about faking a fake field goal and having an "exhibition" portion of the regular season.

Jesus in the huddle? Yes, please! 12 yard cushions from our defensive backs? Absolutely! Not getting a play in after a timeout? Where do I sign up?!?

On such a joyous occasion, just the change alone is good enough for me...:cool:

Reaction Score
If the new HC is going to be an unproven, young coordinator/FCS type, I would like a spread/up tempo offense type coach. But if we have the opportunity to land a guy who is proven already, I don't care about what his philosophy is. I just want wins. Moorehead would clearly fit all of the above and would be a power play, I just can't totally buy-into to the thought yet since Temple seems like a much better situation and he was not interested.

Reaction Score
How about we are going to recruit like we want to play with the big boys. Translation we are going to actually engage with and make an attempt to get some 4 and (gasp) 5 star recruits into the program. You can't get them if you don't try, BD never really made an attempt to go after this level of players and that is what is also needed to elevate this program. You can't be last in recruiting in the American year in and year out and expect to improve. Can't do it - don't care if Belechik is coaching.

Reaction Score
How about we are going to recruit like we want to play with the big boys. Translation we are going to actually engage with and make an attempt to get some 4 and (gasp) 5 star recruits into the program. You can't get them if you don't try, BD never really made an attempt to go after this level of players and that is what is also needed to elevate this program. You can't be last in recruiting in the American year in and year out and expect to improve. Can't do it - don't care if Belechik is coaching.
Just recruit play makers. We've had them. Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Toddman, Caulley, Brockington, K. Moore, R. Frey, G. Davis, Ryan, Griffin, Newsome, Noel Thomas, Marcus Easley.

I could post just as impressive defensive names. The last two staffs have come in here talking about prototypes. Get me a 6 foot QB who can throw accurately and run.

Trying to knock heads for 5 stars is futile given where we are at, at this moment.

Just get players who can contribute and win and score points, make fans want to come to games.

Reaction Score

I only casually follow recruiting beyond paying attention to who commits, but I thought Diaco DID offer many more highly rated players than we ever had before? Landed little to none of them, but the logic was at least he tried, and at least he could build some relationships with programs that produce a lot of D1 players

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Whoever it is will say the right things. I'm not at all convinced that being pass happy wins football games. Balance is the key, and strong defense.

What I want is a coach who prepares the kids well and doesn't make a handful of truly inexplicable decisions at key moments of every game.

Reaction Score
Just recruit play makers. We've had them. Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Toddman, Caulley, Brockington, K. Moore, R. Frey, G. Davis, Ryan, Griffin, Newsome, Noel Thomas, Marcus Easley.

I could post just as impressive defensive names. The last two staffs have come in here talking about prototypes. Get me a 6 foot QB who can throw accurately and run.

Trying to knock heads for 5 stars is futile given where we are at, at this moment. Just get players who can contribute and win and score points, make fans want to come to games.

Just be a great coach.
Develop a fundamentally sound team that can block and tackle.
Have game plans that take advantage of your opponent weaknesses.
Know how to manage the game clock.
Take responsibility when your team loses. Don't blame the kids.
Learn from your mistakes.

Reaction Score
Whoever it is will say the right things. I'm not at all convinced that being pass happy wins football games. Balance is the key, and strong defense.

What I want is a coach who prepares the kids well and doesn't make a handful of truly inexplicable decisions at key moments of every game.
To this day, I can't understand why the ran Ron Johnson on stretch plays.

Reaction Score
I only casually follow recruiting beyond paying attention to who commits, but I thought Diaco DID offer many more highly rated players than we ever had before? Landed little to none of them, but the logic was at least he tried, and at least he could build some relationships with programs that produce a lot of D1 players

He did

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To this day, I can't understand why the ran Ron Johnson on stretch plays.

That's what I'm talking about. It's like somebody was trying to be clever. "Hmm...if the slow back is in, maybe they won't defend the edge. Let's run him wide." Then they tried it again, over and over.

I'd like a coach that does the obvious thing, because the obvious thing is obvious for a reason! On the margins, sure, be aggressive. Go for it on 4th and 1 from the opposing 42. But no! Bob had to be contrary and punt then, while faking FGs early in a 7-0 game.

Reaction Score
I for one hope our first play of the spring game is an inside hand-off to Newsome followed by toss sweep to Johnson...

Reaction Score

Yours?

The fact that, after P and Diaco, any of you would give a flying crap about what a coach says is beyond my comprehension. I don't care what a guy says in press conferences for the sake of making me happy. I want to see us start getting better from day one.

The good news, of course, is while our cieling will be very low until we have an overhaul of talent over a few years, it should not be hard at all for even an average coach to improve this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom