"They're very interested in helping to fill the football stadium," | The Boneyard

"They're very interested in helping to fill the football stadium,"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's part of the Webster Bank deal that hasn't been as out in front. Nice to know football is important in the package.

"They're very interested in helping to fill the football stadium," said Rex Hough, VP of IMG College, the firm that represents UConn's media rights and athletic sponsorships. "You will see ticket programs and other community activities."

Reaction Score
Home they're more successful at the Rent than they seem to be filling the arena in Bridgeport.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So long as the donate white or blue t-shirts every game so we can have white outs or blue outs every home game, I'm good with it.

Maybe they can get creative and leave the shirts on each seat so the fans will end up spelling out a big ole' block "C" right on the 50 yard line.

Reaction Score
As I posted in the season ticket count thread, Webster just finished a promotion where they were selling tickets to a Webster sponsored Rock Cats game at N.B. Stadium at local branches. The Hartford Courant article that Palatine got that newsclip from said that Webster would be sponsoring Homecoming & Alumni Weekends. I'm thinking that Webster will buy a block of unsold tickets for the associated home games & do a similar promotion.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So long as the donate white or blue t-shirts every game so we can have white outs or blue outs every home game, I'm good with it.

What good will that do? All those shirts are "L's. Not even close.

Reaction Score
As I posted in the season ticket count thread, Webster just finished a promotion where they were selling tickets to a Webster sponsored Rock Cats game at N.B. Stadium at local branches. The Hartford Courant article that Palatine got that newsclip from said that Webster would be sponsoring Homecoming & Alumni Weekends. I'm thinking that Webster will buy a block of unsold tickets for the associated home games & do a similar promotion.

I'm not sure what policies exist on promotional ticket sales, and that kind of thing, but I know that if you are on the right track here, that things are looking good. I know that the corporate sales model that was used many years ago, didn't do very well at translating to people in the seats, but fi this does turn out to be the case, it's a great sign that the athletic department is taking pro-active measures in generating a secondary market for ticket sales, that is beneficial to the university, and not detrimental.

I'm just happy to see this kind of activity. Major local corporate money source, heavily invested, and actively involved in promotion.

The next step, is scheduling. Our 2013 season is attractive, but 2014 is a giant black hole, and it's not that far away. We don't have a single non-conference game scheduled for 2014.

That's a good thing to have, freedom in scheduling dates like that for now, but it's quickly going to turn into a bad thing, as each day passes.

Reaction Score
(i.e. - if you want to get an idea why Addazio might be doing ok with recruiting right now - is that he's got big east conference now, and if you look at the 2014 Temple schedule...

Penn State, Notre Dame, Navy, Maryland - non-conference.

Killer schedule, but those Temple kids are going to be playing big time football, week in and week out.

Warde - get r done.

We need a schedule.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What good will that do? All those shirts are "L's. Not even close.

If Webster gave out t-shirts for everyone it would be one less repetitive topic we'd have to discuss on this board (ie- what clothes can/should fans wear to the game).

Reaction Score
Syracuse has openings in 2014 and beyond. LOve to see the home and home there continued. Sorry to hijack this thread, but back to originial topic, if Webster is going to help fill the stadium, it's helpful, to have a desireable ticket to promote.

Right now, we've got nothing beyond 2013. That needs to change, and quick. Love to see some Big 10 programs home and home, somebody get on the phone to Ferentz at Iowa and the Iowa AD, and get him to schedule to his alma mater.

and develop a continuing home and home with Cuse. Get minnesota on board, and tied into hockey east somehow.

Lots of possibilities, with a wide open schedule right now, but those scheduling holes, are going to have to get filled sooner than later.

How those holes are filled? That's how you're goign to be able to evaluate where we're headed. If we're scheduling like Rutgers? We're going to end up like Rutgers. If we're scheduling like a big time program, we're going to end up a big time program.

I can't imagine that Syracuse is too happy with having to rely on Boston College as their only regular home and home in the ACC.

pj

Reaction Score
Purdue is trying to recruit the northeast, they'd probably be willing. Penn State would be good to get on the schedule.

Tennessee has made a lot of offers up here; they're on the schedule already but maybe that could be extended. Any SEC school would be good. Ole Miss, Miss State, South Carolina?

WVU. Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, NC State.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Every team is under pressure to up their OOC schedule. This is a HUGE opportunity for us, one where our 'lack of history' works in our favor. We may well be viewed as a way to strengthen Strength of Schedule at a low perceived risk of a loss. We should actively seek out these opportunities. If we surprise enough teams, and I think that we will, then we may become the flavor of the month as an up and coming team. UConn's rise from 1AA is a marketable story. It won't take much success on the field to make it the knee jerk story among the non-ESPN talking heads.

pj

Reaction Score
Every team is under pressure to up their OOC schedule. This is a HUGE opportunity for us, one where our 'lack of history' works in our favor. We may well be viewed as a way to strengthen Strength of Schedule at a low perceived risk of a loss. We should actively seek out these opportunities. If we surprise enough teams, and I think that we will, then we may become the flavor of the month as an up and coming team. UConn's rise from 1AA is a marketable story. It won't take much success on the field to make it the knee jerk story among the non-ESPN talking heads.

I agree. Also, it's a good way to get on TV. If the NBE signs with NBC, OOC games would be a way to reach other network audiences. Just being visible is worth something for us, even if we lose.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has openings in 2014 and beyond. LOve to see the home and home there continued. Sorry to hijack this thread, but back to originial topic, if Webster is going to help fill the stadium, it's helpful, to have a desireable ticket to promote.

Right now, we've got nothing beyond 2013. That needs to change, and quick. Love to see some Big 10 programs home and home, somebody get on the phone to Ferentz at Iowa and the Iowa AD, and get him to schedule to his alma mater.

and develop a continuing home and home with Cuse. Get minnesota on board, and tied into hockey east somehow.

Lots of possibilities, with a wide open schedule right now, but those scheduling holes, are going to have to get filled sooner than later.

How those holes are filled? That's how you're goign to be able to evaluate where we're headed. If we're scheduling like Rutgers? We're going to end up like Rutgers. If we're scheduling like a big time program, we're going to end up a big time program.

I can't imagine that Syracuse is too happy with having to rely on Boston College as their only regular home and home in the ACC.

Syracuse is more than happy having BC as their potential regional rival. They will want no part of UCONN going forward. Like BC, they will hope for UCONN becoming less competitive with conference realignment, because they've seen what happens on a level playing field. That's not sour grapes, it's just reality as I see it.

Reaction Score

We have beaten Syracuse 5 straight times. Why would they have any interest in continuing to play us in football

Reaction Score
We have beaten Syracuse 5 straight times. Why would they have any interest in continuing to play us in football

You know, maybe you're right, maybe that's why I'd like to see them on the schedule some more. Anyhoo - we've got nobody schedule for 2014 out of conference yet. That's quickly going to become a problem as weeks continue to go by.

Reaction Score
I agree. Also, it's a good way to get on TV. If the NBE signs with NBC, OOC games would be a way to reach other network audiences. Just being visible is worth something for us, even if we lose.
Um, who said anything about losing? We're UConn, losing is an alien concept.;)

Reaction Score
Um, who said anything about losing? We're UConn, losing is an alien concept.;)

I hate losing. I hate losing, most times, more than I like winning. I honestly forget we won nine games in 2007. All I remember are the losses, adn the losses were U-G-L-Y.

Reaction Score
(i.e. - if you want to get an idea why Addazio might be doing ok with recruiting right now - is that he's got big east conference now, and if you look at the 2014 Temple schedule...

Penn State, Notre Dame, Navy, Maryland - non-conference.

Killer schedule, but those Temple kids are going to be playing big time football, week in and weekdays out.

Warde - get r done.

We need a schedule.

And they could win 3 of 4.

As for the shirts, its not that hard to find a l/s blue and wear a s/s white underneath. Switch as needed.

As for Waq - you're only a couple of buffalo wings north of a medium!

Reaction Score
Interesting that UMass has Colorado scheduled 3x in the next 5-6 years. With most of their gamez out west now, a little surprised they wouldnt want to get closer to a pretty solid NY area fanbase. Good job by UMass.

Reaction Score
Interesting that UMass has Colorado scheduled 3x in the next 5-6 years. With most of their gamez out west now, a little surprised they wouldnt want to get closer to a pretty solid NY area fanbase. Good job by UMass.
UMass is scheduling money games and/or 2 or 3 for 1s. We have not needed to schedule money games and we've been unwilling to do 2-1s. Umass has a 2-1 with BC, a 2-1 with Colorado, Notre Dame is a money game, as are K-state who they've played a few times as a 1AA and Wisconsin and Penn State. I get why they do it, but I also get why UConn doesn't.

Reaction Score
UMass is scheduling money games and/or 2 or 3 for 1s. We have not needed to schedule money games and we've been unwilling to do 2-1s. Umass has a 2-1 with BC, a 2-1 with Colorado, Notre Dame is a money game, as are K-state who they've played a few times as a 1AA and Wisconsin and Penn State. I get why they do it, but I also get why UConn doesn't.
We were going to go to a football conference with Miami, VT, etc. UMass is going to a conference with Northern Illinois, Eastern Michigan and Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom