There it is | The Boneyard

There it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know the contract status of all 30 some-odd bowl games. But I do know that the Pinstripe is up in 2013, and the big 10 wants in, and that means the big 12 is out a bowl game.

I also know that nobody has any idea right now, what a four team playoff is going to look like.

I know that Chuck Neinas is the acting commissioner of the big 12, and is an 80 year old man who's entire life has revolved around a system of college football broadcasting that is about to get turned upside down.

THis is nothiing more than Chuck Neinas and Mike Slive guaranteeing themselves a bowl game for their conferences, in an environment where nobody really knows what's going to happen.

WIth the existing contracts in place for the other bowl games and tie - ins, in the addition of a playoff, it's very likely that this new bowl game, that I'd bet anything was engineered in the past 24 hours by Neinas after Delaney talked about the Pinstripe....

It's highly likely that this new game, whatever it will be - will feature the two teams in the SEC and Big 12, that finish 6-6 or 7-5 and are barely bowl eligible.

Reaction Score
We still going to the ACC? I'd much rather go to the B1G or the Big 12.
What makes us think that, given recent additions, the ACC isn't angling for the Pinstripe.

Reaction Score
this seems like an odd announcement. are they both ditching the Sugar and Fiesta? i guess they figure if they create a brand new bowl from the ground up they can have more control over it. so now after the Rose Bowl, the most elite bowl is going to be one they just made up? tradition has officially gone out the window

Reaction Score
this seems like an odd announcement. are they both ditching the Sugar and Fiesta? i guess they figure if they create a brand new bowl from the ground up they can have more control over it. so now after the Rose Bowl, the most elite bowl is going to be one they just made up? tradition has officially gone out the window

I would guess that it would be either the sugar bowl or some form of upgraded cotton bowl.

I wonder if this will lead to some agreement between the BE and the ACC champions playing in the orange bowl. Sorry ACC it is the end of the night and the BE is the most attractive girl left at the bar, looks like you have to bring us home.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The B1G wants in on the Pinstripe but what makes anyone think the Pinstripe would still want a BE team? You may see the BE knocked out of the game and the Big-12 team retained.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The B1G wants in on the Pinstripe but what makes anyone think the Pinstripe would still want a BE team? You may see the BE knocked out of the game and the Big-12 team retained.

Would the Pinstripe Bowl people go for having no natural local team in their bowl game. I would think not.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
This announcement obviously has virtually nothing to do with the Pinstripe Bowl. It's all about recreating the stature and cache that comes with an event like the Rose Bowl but this time between the SEC and B12. I have no idea how it all gets tied in with the current BCS bowls and what happens to the loser between the Sugar Bowl and the Fiesta but I think Husky10 has got it right when he says that the ACC is left with the ugliest girl at the bar at the end of the night and its the Big East. Right now there are four conferences that are definitely on the inside and it doesn't include either the ACC or the Big East.

Reaction Score
Can anybody spell antitrust violation. This once again frustrates college football competition by freezing out schools and locking in the power (I.e, broadcast $$ ) conferences. Whole system needs to be broken up and leveled.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
This article pretty much spells out what I've been thinking since the announcement but includes a lot more facts about the arrangement than I was previously aware. One of the biggest historical weaknesses of the Big East has been our Bowl tie-ins and this only accentuates that weakness. I still there is something to be said for doing a similar arrangement with the ACC. It wouldn't have the same stature as the Rose Bowl and "Champions" Bowl but it would still be pretty damn good.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ns-bowl-changes-college-footballs-big-picture

Reaction Score
This should all be part of a playoff!

SEC vs Big 12
PAC 12 vs Big 10
Big East vs ACC
best non-bcs team vs wild card (the highest ranked remaining team that hasn't been selected)

the four winners face off to decide the championship.

Reaction Score

SEC vs Big 12
PAC 12 vs Big 10
Big East vs ACC
best non-bcs team vs wild card (the highest ranked remaining team that hasn't been selected)

That's actually a great idea, everyone wins and only one conference probably gets two in, like this a lot, very fair, but everyone will complain about the BE schedule.

Reaction Score
That's actually a great idea, everyone wins and only one conference probably gets two in, like this a lot, very fair, but everyone will complain about the BE schedule.
Never happen. Makes too much sense, & we all know that we're dealing with lunatics in an asylum.

Reaction Score
What makes us think that, given recent additions, the ACC isn't angling for the Pinstripe.
Would that be why Syracuse bought that billboard out in left field?

Reaction Score
It's highly likely that this new game, whatever it will be - will feature the two teams in the SEC and Big 12, that finish 6-6 or 7-5 and are barely bowl eligible.
Carl, they said conference champions will play. Not 6-6 or 7-5 teams. This would be their version of the Rose Bowl.

Reaction Score
am i the only one that thinks it's really weird to create a new high profile bowl at the same time they're devaluing the high profile bowls with the addition of a playoff? let's be realistic, it'll be very rare that neither a B12 or SEC team (or two) are in the playoff so what will this game really look like? it seems it could really be the #3SEC vs the #2B12 quite often, and where does that leave the rest of the bowl games? it'll basically push all of the B12 and SEC bowls down a peg. if this new bowl isn't the Cotton Bowl, the Cotton Bowl will be further marginalized, which leads me to believe the game could be used.

i wonder how compelling the Rose Bowl will be 5 years down the road when it's basically the #2 P12 and B1G teams playing in a consolation game. if games like the Rose Bowl want to remain relevant, they'll have to incorporate themselves into the playoff. the Meineke CarCare bowl will be as interesting as it ever was, but bowls like the Rose that were viewed as important will really lose some of their luster.

Reaction Score
Neinas is an 80 year old man that's trying to leave a legacy. He's not doing a bad job. As of 2011, ESPN, I believe owns broadcast rights to every single college football post season game. This new bowl - isn't attached to ESPN right now. Talk about anti-trust issues? I'm no lawyer but on face value, it seems taht somethign isn't right when one company controls so much of something. But anyway.

I did a little digging on line, and from what I can tell contracts are in place right now for the big 12 and SEC to put their top 8 bowl eligible teams each - at least through 2013.

Sugar bowl and Fiesta bowl get first picks at SEC and Big 12 until 2013. That's the #1 team from each conference (IF not in the BCS national championship game) until 2013.

I can't find easy info online, so I stopped looking, but it seems that the Cotton bowl and Jerry Jones, really, has the big 12 #2 and SEC #3/#4 under contract at least until 2015 at Jerry World. It seems that the Capital One Bowl has the sec #2 in a bowl game as a lead in to the Rose Bowl on January 1st until 2018. Outback, can't find any info on broadcastin but has sec #3/4.

Alamo Bowl has big 12 #3, and that contract is up in 2013. So big 12 #3, needs a home after 2013.

I stopped looking there.

Let's move forward to 2014. First of all - and this is what kills me about what Neinas is doing, is that nobody has any idea what the post season is going to look like, and the so called POWER conference, are outnumbered by the other conferences when it comes to votes.

So lets' assume that really, nothing changes regarding the #1 teams in each conference when it comes to the bowl season.

THe #1 teams in each conference are going to either go to the Sugar or Fiesta - or to a playoff system.

That still means that #2-#4 in the SEC is locked up for other bowls. And the top available team from the Big 12, in 2014 is the #3 invitation, b/c the others are locked up in contract.

SO upon further review, my conclusion is that this whole mess that Neinas and Slive created, has little to no chance of actually pairing up the two conference champions in a post season game, unless the entire college football season contracts are scrapped.......

Therefore, this whole thing is an attempt by an 80 year old man, to preserve the legacy he's trying to create, and preserve the old guard in the college football post season, by throwing a monkey wrench into the media machine that is driving the college football post season to a true playoff.

And the way the headlines were created and the press statement.......completely igonoring all the contract situations with bowl invitations of the #2 and down the line selections, and the unkown of how the top teams in each conference will participate in the post season for a national championship.......is propoganda at it's best.

I'm disappointed in the NY Times for biting on it hook line and sinker.

Reaction Score
Carl, they said conference champions will play. Not 6-6 or 7-5 teams. This would be their version of the Rose Bowl.

I know what they said. I also understand that nobody was surprised by any of it in the college football world that really matters, which means that Neinas and Slive are simply positioning their respective conferences for a situation in which conference champions are required to be involved in a playoff situation in the future.

I would be in shock if after the summer, it is determined that conference champs alone are involved in this post season format come 2014. The Pac 12 v. Big 11, SEC v. Big 10/12, in such a situation, would already have "event" games in place. The college football post season people still won't officially use the word 'Playoff".

But then again, I never thought any playoff would be approved without congressional intervention and legal battles. So who knows. But the thought that this is going to change anything about what's coming up is not the case. AFter sitting on it a couple days, I'm pretty sure that this is going to have unintended consequences for those 4 conferences, b/c it's simply a domino falling that very likely will lead the other 1-A conferences to set up their own conference champion matchups.

IN an effort to secure a "good bowl game"......these two conferences might actually have set the motivation in place to set up the first round of a playoff that matches up all the 1-A conference champions, and has the independants looking in and wondering how they fit in.

Reaction Score
Can the new big east and the ACC play nice and set up a similar arrangement for the Orange Bowl?

Sun Belt, WAC, MWC, C-USA, MAC in a race to set up games, with the one left standing having to set up a bowl with the independants?

That would give you 6 bowl games pairing up the champs of every conference and the top independant in the country.

See where I"m going? Did I count right?

Rose: Pac 12 v. Big 10.

Whatever: Big 12 v. Sec

Orange: Big EAst v. ACC

Whatever: Indep v. WAC

Whatever: MAC v. C-USA

Whatever: Sun Belt v. MWC

Fiesta: at large v. at large

Sugar: at large v. at large.

16 team playoff.

Only question is when you start the games. If the Rose Bowl, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange want to host the quarterfinals on January 1st. So be it.

Start the games in december so those four venues get their new years day matchups as the quarterfinals of a national championship.

Reaction Score
am i the only one that thinks it's really weird to create a new high profile bowl at the same time they're devaluing the high profile bowls with the addition of a playoff? let's be realistic, it'll be very rare that neither a B12 or SEC team (or two) are in the playoff so what will this game really look like? it seems it could really be the #3SEC vs the #2B12 quite often, and where does that leave the rest of the bowl games? it'll basically push all of the B12 and SEC bowls down a peg. if this new bowl isn't the Cotton Bowl, the Cotton Bowl will be further marginalized, which leads me to believe the game could be used.

i wonder how compelling the Rose Bowl will be 5 years down the road when it's basically the #2 P12 and B1G teams playing in a consolation game. if games like the Rose Bowl want to remain relevant, they'll have to incorporate themselves into the playoff. the Meineke CarCare bowl will be as interesting as it ever was, but bowls like the Rose that were viewed as important will really lose some of their luster.

Dear University Prez's:

One of the reasons you, collectively, cite as a reason not to have a playoff is "tradition and sanctity of the major bowl system." You might want to put that one back on the shelf.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

SEC vs Big 12
PAC 12 vs Big 10
Big East vs ACC

This is much more likely than going to 16 teams. Only question is whether or not 8 is even in play, despite it making so much sense. Are the "Big 4" really trying to lock everyone else out or not? Right now, Big East and ACC should kiss, make up, and become friends. Set up a championship game. And any threat of them being pushed out of the picture should be met with a not so subtle *cough*lawsuit*cough*.

Reaction Score
CArl, i see where you're going, and if you think the MAC/CUSA champ game is going to play any part of a "playoff" you're nuts. in theory, having each division champ play another division champ could make sense, but for that to happen you basically have to establish that CUSA, MAC, P12 and SEC are all on even footing, which is ridiculous

Reaction Score

SEC vs Big 12
PAC 12 vs Big 10
Big East vs ACC

Oh, no. So 'Bama wins the SEC and gets a QF match versus Oklahoma or Texas, and Florida loses to Bama and gets a QF against ....? BYU? Tulsa? Central Michigan? I think not.

I am in favor of an 8 (or 12) team playoff, and of having 5 or 6 slots reserved for conference champions only. But preselecting the QFs isn't going to work.

Reaction Score
I am in favor of a 120 team tournament that begins in week 8 of the regular season. 7 regular season conference games to set the grid and then "let the fun begin". Higher ranked teams would have home field advantage until we get to "Bowl Month". The losers in the first round would continue in an NIT-type secondary Tournament with "secondary" Bowls during "Bowl Month".

The worst teams would play 9 games, the best would play 14.

The first round of the Tournament would be rediculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom