There is no AAC team in Rhode Island | The Boneyard

There is no AAC team in Rhode Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why the heck is the media day stuck in that media backwater? It shouldn't have been there in the BE days. To put it there for the AAC is freaking ridiculous.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
SEC doesn't need publicity. The AAC does. I agree with pal that this is a poor location for a conference desperate for attention. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but everything communicates.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Pal still drinks his Ovaltine by the radio at night listening to Little Orphan Annie and thinks that cameras can steal his soul.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Aresco could hold media day butt-naked in Times Square with sparklers in each hand and a Roman candle firing out of his ass and it wouldn't generate any notice.

The clambake thing is the only this sucker has going for it in terms of press interest.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Would be cool if the Big East and the AAC held dueling Media Days in Newport. Set up some sort of competition and the loser has to take every single mansion tour on a hot 90 degree day with a pair of screaming, hungry, and overtired kids.

Reaction Score
Why the heck is the media day stuck in that media backwater? It shouldn't have been there in the BE days. To put it there for the AAC is freaking ridiculous.
http://www.newport.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html
I could not agree with you more, but I hope you did not think they would have it in Hartford. Even Geno holds all his events at the Mohegan Sun as a state employee and now ignores Hartford.
We could have offered the TPC course for the golf buffs...Not sure our 5 star accommodations are the same as theirs, along with everything else we suffer. Sad to say our state school does not have the support from the state or a conference that would not allow this to happen...Something Suzie and Warde & Larry should be addressing. Maybe Aresco's mind set is Yankee Conference like many feel we have been relegated back to.

Reaction Score
On the Gold Coast of CT we have waterfront Golf Courses, the largest Marinas on the East Coast, plenty of oysters, clams and lobster and an actual team that plays in the conference. WTH are we doing in RI? Start it in Norwalk or Stamford and get a huge ship to ferry everyone to NYC for a final media reception.

Reaction Score
Arguing that we should move the media days to NYC to get more coverage, is like arguing that we should move our home games to the Yale Bowl to get more fans.

The AAC media days don't move the needle because of the AAC, not Newport.

Reaction Score
On the Gold Coast of CT we have waterfront Golf Courses, the largest Marinas on the East Coast, plenty of oysters, clams and lobster and an actual team that plays in the conference. WTH are we doing in RI? Start it in Norwalk or Stamford and get a huge ship to ferry everyone to NYC for a final media reception.

What exactly would be different about the coverage?

Reaction Score
What exactly would be different about the coverage?

1. Not Newport which is irrelevant to the league and is not a TV or media "market" for the conference.

2. Depends on how it's set up and marketed.

3. Can any change be much worse?

Reaction Score
1. Not Newport which is irrelevant to the league and is not a TV or media "market" for the conference.

2. Depends on how it's set up and marketed.

3. Can any change be much worse?

*shorter JimDish

"1. Nothing
2. will
3. change"

Just so we're clear, you guys think that the reporters covering the conference teams are going to change what they write about the teams/conference if the location of the meetings changes.

OR

You think the people in NYC will care about the AAC because of a ferry leaving Norwalk, bound for Manhattan with reporters from Cincinatti, Tulsa, Florida, and Houston.

Um, ok.

Reaction Score
Where the heck is Palatine when you need him?

Seriously I'm just throwing out one option. We have teams in Texas and Florida and Carolina and just about any of those locations could be a better option. What's so great about this relic of the past that we need to hold on to. It's simply a reminder of the breakup of the BE.

Reaction Score
Yeah but I hear the clams are delicious!

The strange thing I will always remember about those clams is Noel Devine of WVU getting sick after eating them in 2010.

Reaction Score
I'd be OK with letting it be in the city or state of the league champion every year. It doesn't change everything but at least could generate some interest. So it's not a huge deal but what we have now just makes zero sense.

Reaction Score
I'd be OK with letting it be in the city or state of the league champion every year. It doesn't change everything but at least could generate some interest. So it's not a huge deal but what we have now just makes zero sense.

If the media shows up and covers the teams, then it makes sense.

For the record, I don't care where they hold it. I'm not opposed to moving it, but I haven't read a single post in the last 8 years that has actually stated why and how the media coverage/standing/reputation of the league would be improved by moving the media days.

If the programs don't improve and regularly beat/become top 25 teams it won't matter. They can do the whole thing over Skype and the league's reputation won't get any worse. The only way to improve this league is to improve the results on the field, hand wringing over the media days location is pointless.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SEC doesn't need publicity. The AAC does. I agree with pal that this is a poor location for a conference desperate for attention. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but everything communicates.

What does it tell you about the relevance of the media day location when the SEC holds their day in Nowhere, Alabama?

Reaction Score
@WingU-Conn , the big east results on the field weren't bad 9-7 in bcs bowls with ucf's win last year. Much better than the acc's 5-13, record which includes two wins just last year. For whatever reason, results on the field or court have never mattered when it came to the big east, and I am sure it will be no different in this conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom