The younger Ogwumike sisters | The Boneyard

The younger Ogwumike sisters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/02/25/SPVQ1NCFUB.DTL

Both Olivia, a 5-foot-11 sophomore, and Erica, a 5-9 freshman, are varsity starters at Cy-Woods High School in Cypress, Texas. The team went 28-8 this season, losing in the second round of the playoffs. Olivia averaged 10.1 points and 8.0 rebounds, Olivia [Erica?] 6.4 and 7.5. In keeping with the family tradition, both are excellent students.
Olivia is somewhat reserved, like Nneka. And if people thought Chiney was outgoing, her mom calls Erica "Chiney times two."
The youngsters certainly have Stanford on the brain. "Everybody would want to go to Stanford," said Erica, who hopes to become a corporate attorney.
"I feel the same way," said Olivia, who plans to enter medicine.
I think they are headed to Stanford. :( They sound like great kids and great students. Are they as dominant on the court as their older sisters? Their stats are a little more modest, though both appear to be rebounders, even at only 5'11" and 5'9".

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
With how the family believes Education is equally as important as athletics, don't think they go anywhere other then Stanford as long as they're qualified. By all going to Stanford it adds to the family legacy.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/02/25/SPVQ1NCFUB.DTL

The youngsters certainly have Stanford on the brain. "Everybody would want to go to Stanford," said Erica, who hopes to become a corporate attorney.

I get the part about wanting to be an attorney, well almost, but a corporate attorney? As a freshman in high school? Wow. I worked for several years as a corporate attorney but I sure didn't have that in mind when I was 15 years old. It's not exactly what dreams are made of. Too funny. God bless her.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Are they elite prospects like their sisters? Looks like no so far. In which case, quite frankly I couldn't care less where they go.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Btw, I didn't mean that in a "why are you posting this story" way, just more of a "their college plans don't seem like significant causes for concern as a UConn fan at this point."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Btw, I didn't mean that in a "why are you posting this story" way, just more of a "their college plans don't seem like significant causes for concern as a UConn fan at this point."
No problem. I was curious myself and thought BYers would want to know. They are actually a little older than I thought. Following Karlie Samuelson's decision, I thought an update on another "Stanford family" might be timely.

I agree--they sound like good players, but quite possibly not elite players. We'll see better over time. They also may not make 6'2" or 6'3". If they are top 5 players, it's a loss for UConn. If they are barely top 100 players, it's no loss in terms of talent.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I get the part about wanting to be an attorney, well almost, but a corporate attorney? As a freshman in high school? Wow. I worked for several years as a corporate attorney but I sure didn't have that in mind when I was 15 years old. It's not exactly what dreams are made of. Too funny. God bless her.
Maybe she'll be a nurse when she comes to her senses. :)

U

UCONNfan1

they don't seem to be top 10 kids - not listed on ASGR's top 10 in their respective classes. maybe not quite as good as their sisters.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I thought I heard someone say the youngest one(maybe younger then these two) is possibly the best sister.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I thought I heard someone say the youngest one(maybe younger then these two) is possibly the best sister.
It will largely depend on how tall she ends up being as to whether she can become an elite prospect. Recent eval from HG:

Cy-Fair Invitational-April 12: While she may be the youngest of the Ogwumike sisters, Erica, of Cypress, Texas, is not afraid to make noise of her own. Like her sisters -- Nneka, Chiney and Olivia -- Erica is an explosive athlete with very good leaping ability. She has a high-running motor and finds ways to make a positive impact on the game when she is on the floor. The youngest of the Ogwumike girls appears to be the most perimeter-oriented. Ogwumike has the ability to make plays from the wing and shows a high level of comfort with the ball on the perimeter. At 5-9, her perimeter abilities are vital to her success, and if she grows to be the size of her older sisters, watch out. She could potentially grow to be quite the handful with her combination of size, athleticism and skill. (Moore)

Reaction Score
I've always heard that they think the younger sisters will surpass the elders in talent.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had read that too, but she is currently only 5'9" and averaged 6 ppg. I think that most elite players average more as a frosh. Maya, Kaleena, Kalana, Breanna, Bria, Elena, et al. come to mind. It is still early, so it is hard to say how good they will be. The family has an athletic gene and a hard-working approach. I was surprised at the scoring stats being so modest. But the rebounding stats are solid.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I've always heard that they think the younger sisters will surpass the elders in talent.
I think that was a false rumor. HG has Olivia rated as a three star currently. Now, she obviously could improve, but generally speaking, most Gatorade NPOY kind of talents (as both Nneka and Chiney were) are considered super blue-chippers by the conclusion of their sophomore years.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
If by "they" you mean the elder two, yeah, I think that's where this "assessment" comes from. Did not Nneka say that Chiney was even better than she was? Does not look like that is the case.. They are family, we get it. But that also disqualifies them as objective judges of talent in the family.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Stanford still may sign them.. great character is always a plus on a team.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Man, this family stuff shows how deficient GA's recruiting is. None of his recruits have ever had a legion of AA quality younger sisters dying to follow their siblings to UConn. It's even worse than that. He signs the #1 recruit in the nation who lasts a day because she wants to be with her handicapped older sister. He is on the verge of getting the hot-shot younger sister of a less talented older sister only to see her opt to follow her sister when the sister transfers to a school on Tobacco Road. C'mon Geno, your program will never be a success until you get a handle on how to recruit a family. Better hope Omar Calhoun stays with the UConn men's team, letting them do the dirty work for you to keep his little sis in line.

Kidding aside, as to the ability of the younger Ogwumike sisters, I think it's hard to interpret stats of younger hs players without knowing a little about who else is on the team, what they are being asked to do, and the quality of competition. Clearly, opinions coming from the family have to be looked at critically, but I don't think they can necessarily be just dismissed as being nonobjective. One way or another, they seem like a determined family. BTW, UConnCat, as a former government lawyer, I agree with you on the kid's statement about wanting corporate law. I knew from a pretty young age that I wanted to become a lawyer, but I had Perry Mason and Clarence Darrow in mind until a different path opened up.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought it was the younger Samuelsons who were supposed to be the best in the family, not the O girls?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought it was the younger Samuelsons who were supposed to be the best in the family, not the O girls?
Both. Katie Lou Samuelson and Erica Ogwumike. Katie Lou is a 6'2" wing in the class of 2015, ranked #4 in her class by some group. Erica, also class of 2015, is not rated that highly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it's hard to interpret stats of younger hs players without knowing a little about who else is on the team, what they are being asked to do, and the quality of competition.
The bottom line, nicely put.

Reaction Score
If by "they" you mean the elder two, yeah, I think that's where this "assessment" comes from. Did not Nneka say that Chiney was even better than she was? Does not look like that is the case.. They are family, we get it. But that also disqualifies them as objective judges of talent in the family.

Was not Chiney a first team All american this past season? And, younger sis is not likely to step on older sis's toes quite yet.

For years before Serena's dominance emerged, R1chard Williams kept telling the tennis press that Serena was the better tennis player. Yet, while Venus dominated, the tennis press and pundits tended to scoff at Mr. Williams' bold predictions of Serena's eventual greatness and All-Williams Grand Slam finals. Nowadays, we rarely ever see or hear from R1chard as he enjoys the last laugh.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Was not Chiney a first team All american this past season? And, younger sis is not likely to step on older sis's toes quite yet.

For years before Serena's dominance emerged, Dick Williams kept telling the tennis press that Serena was the better tennis player. Yet, while Venus dominated, the tennis press and pundits tended to scoff at Mr. Williams' bold predictions of Serena's eventual greatness and All-Williams Grand Slam finals. Nowadays, we rarely ever see or hear from Dick as he enjoys the last laugh.
I thought R-i-c-h- is their father. Dick was the Red Sox and A's manager. :)

[We can now write "Dick" in a post. In fact, I wrote the 7-letter version, but it got converted to the 4-letter word.]

Reaction Score
Thanx for bringing that to my attention. I wrote Richard, Richard is their father, yet it came out differently.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

For years before Serena's dominance emerged, R1chard Williams kept telling the tennis press that Serena was the better tennis player. Yet, while Venus dominated, the tennis press and pundits tended to scoff at Mr. Williams' bold predictions of Serena's eventual greatness and All-Williams Grand Slam finals. Nowadays, we rarely ever see or hear from R1chard as he enjoys the last laugh.
Chiney was an AA, but I don't know of she was 1st team.. But she is an AA because she is a dogged defender, great offensive rebounder and inside scorer, not because she has any kind of game from mid range and further out. Nneka now has an outstanding jump shot and perimeter game, which she had in her soph year. So IMO, unless Chiney's game gets a lot better in her last two years, she will not be as good offensively as Nneka.

As for Venus and Serena, you are talking about players who are much older. Not that relevant to college basketball players, but I see your point.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Tara really tapped into the gift that keeps on giving with this family :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom