The Yankees Chances | The Boneyard

The Yankees Chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Currently they're 4.5 back in the wildcard. Tied with Cleveland and behind Oakland/Baltimore. They play the O's 6 more times, the Sox 7, and the Jays/Rays thrice each. Anyone think they can make a run, or is their goose cooked?

I've seen weirder things in baseball but....

Reaction Score
Currently they're 4.5 back in the wildcard. Tied with Cleveland and behind Oakland/Baltimore. They play the O's 6 more times, the Sox 7, and the Jays/Rays thrice each. Anyone think they can make a run, or is their goose cooked?

Not with that starting pitching.

Reaction Score

I would love to say yes but with Kuroda having done his best to keep them afloat most of the year and now seemingly tired, CC just not even close to the same pitcher - NO!!! Love to see it happen but there' s little chance for them to win 10 of 11 like they need to..............

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It looks like they'd have to out hit everyone. But even with the restoration of a major league line up, they will be facing too many good pitchers to expect a lot of high scoring games. Tough row to how. Even a little miraculous that they have an outside chance given the number of infirmary cases they've had and how unreliable most if their pitchers have been. The off season should be interesting for how the Yankews try to retool the rotation. They have 3-4 holes to fill.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
It looks like they'd have to out hit everyone. But even with the restoration of a major league line up, they will be facing too many good pitchers to expect a lot of high scoring games. Tough row to how. Even a little miraculous that they have an outside chance given the number of infirmary cases they've had and how unreliable most if their pitchers have been. The off season should be interesting for how the Yankews try to retool the rotation. They have 3-4 holes to fill.
Do you think we re-sign Hughes at the end of the season? What about Kuroda? If I'm not mistaken they're both FA's after the season.

Reaction Score
Hughes is gone........he's a pu**y and I don't think the Yanks have any faith any more. Kuroda would be nice but he may be too expensive unless he wants to just stay there............should be real interesting offseason for us fans........they NEED a lot.

Funny thing is as injury riddled as they were and as bad as CC and Hughes were they were right behind the the Rays and Sox most of the year........pretty decent job by Girardi........

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Do you think we re-sign Hughes at the end of the season? What about Kuroda? If I'm not mistaken they're both FA's after the season.

Kuroda has an age issue. The next few starts might show if he is wearing down after a solid season. Plus, hasn't he indicated a desire to be back on the west coast? Hughes is a hard one. At the moment I don't know why we'd want to keep him, but he's still young enough where maybe he could pull it together to be a fifth guy. I think the problem they have is too many holes. Outside of Phelps who could be a solid mid-rotation guy, I don't know what they have in their own pipeline. Is CC suddenly over the hill or is this just one of those years. Pettite has been admirable but he's done. Nova is fine but seems not to be a #1. I know Warwn has been mentioned as a possible starter, but he'd also be a back end guy. His name us escaping me, but the kid they've had up and down recently as a reliever is impressive. A he a possible starter?

Reaction Score
I'll be very surprised if NY makes the playoffs. Too many teams to jump over, don't see them catching Tampa, have to be Oakland. If George were still around, Rothschild would have been fired a month ago.

LOTS of questions for next year. Hughes: someone will offer more than NY, on the chance he might improve in a park where his fly balls aren't HRs. Team would take Kuroda back in a NY minute for '13 money. Andy - one more year? Joba - goodbye, if anyone wants him. CC - off year or is he spent? Pineda - rotation anchor or bust?

Also - will Girardi be back if NY doesn't make the playoffs? (His deal is up too). Hal is too patient - I love that he chewed out Cashman and co. over the lack of minor league production.

Buck S got his wrist slapped, but he was absolutely right about ARod. If he's suspended all next year, NY gets under the salary cap, and will be BIG spenders after next season.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Nova has really pitched pretty well most of the season. Had a gem today. Not a Buchholz type pitcher, but a top end of the rotation guy. A couple more like him and the future would seem brighter. Cano is a free agent, too, isn't he? What is Soriano's contract status? He looks far from being at the end. I assume Wells and Hafner are gone. Overbay might be worth keeping, if only because Texeira is so fragile. Assuming A Rod is barred, and with Jeter not getting younger, the left side of the infield is a question mark. I think Nunez might be an okay replacement. He has his very good moments at the plate and is fast. His throwing problems haven't showed up as often as the last few years. If Nix replaces A Rod, a whole lot of offense goes away. Romine/Stewart/Cerveli might be okay behind the plate if they can bat 250, but catching won't be a power position for the Yankees among the current candidates. Ichiro looks like he might have a decent few years left, too. Overall, an aging team with a bunch of questions to answer.

Reaction Score
Nova has really pitched pretty well most of the season. Had a gem today. Not a Buchholz type pitcher, but a top end of the rotation guy. A couple more like him and the future would seem brighter. Cano is a free agent, too, isn't he? What is Soriano's contract status? He looks far from being at the end. I assume Wells and Hafner are gone. Overbay might be worth keeping, if only because Texeira is so fragile. Assuming A Rod is barred, and with Jeter not getting younger, the left side of the infield is a question mark. I think Nunez might be an okay replacement. He has his very good moments at the plate and is fast. His throwing problems haven't showed up as often as the last few years. If Nix replaces A Rod, a whole lot of offense goes away. Romine/Stewart/Cerveli might be okay behind the plate if they can bat 250, but catching won't be a power position for the Yankees among the current candidates. Ichiro looks like he might have a decent few years left, too. Overall, an aging team with a bunch of questions to answer.

Cano is a must sign but not for too many years.......Nova has been real good and was great yesterday, looks like his confidence is rising.........Think he is a Buchholz type for sure, not the one we saw early this year but then again I don't think Buccy is that either but real good nonetheless.........Soriano has another year and that's a good thing, he likes being a Yank.........3rd base is a concern and Nix isn't the answer nor is Nunez.........I like Nunez so playing a little everywhere for him and Nix is okay.....Romine has looked better at the plate lately and could eventually be a solid receiver for the Yanks as people predicted.......Ichiro will stay..........should be real interesting in the off season with pitching needs and whether they reach out to Grandy to stay or not, would like him back........

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Every lost opportunity like today hurts. And Joba is flat awful 90% of the time.

Reaction Score
Cano is a free agent, too, isn't he? I assume Wells and Hafner are gone. Overbay might be worth keeping, if only because Texeira is so fragile. Assuming A Rod is barred, and with Jeter not getting younger, the left side of the infield is a question mark. I think Nunez might be an okay replacement. He has his very good moments at the plate and is fast. His throwing problems haven't showed up as often as the last few years. If Nix replaces A Rod, a whole lot of offense goes away. Romine/Stewart/Cerveli might be okay behind the plate if they can bat 250, but catching won't be a power position for the Yankees among the current candidates. Ichiro looks like he might have a decent few years left, too. Overall, an aging team with a bunch of questions to answer.

Wells is signed for another year, with the Angels picking up most of the contract. Granderson is a FA as well as Cano. Cano says he want to be a Yankee for life, but then you hear that he wants ARod $. When he went from Boras to JayZ everyone thought that was a good thing. Not so sure now - it's the first big deal for JayZ's agency and they want to make a huge splash. Grandy has been way under the radar - haven't read much at all about what he'd want or what the team would pay. BTW - the team DFA'd Melky Mesa today - yet another outfield prospect bust.

Reaction Score
Every lost opportunity like today hurts. And Joba is flat awful 90% of the time.

Bad bad loss........Joba flat out blows!! The sweep was a must and they had it and the bullpen gagged on it........

Reaction Score
Well tonight's game against the White Sox is huge. Kuroda vs. Sales. One flying high (Sales), the other on a downswing. Last months game in Chicago, Sales got the best of Hiro 3-2 and the Yankees were swept. New York can't rely on mid-relief so he's got to go at least 7. I'm hoping he does, because the games are getting fewer, and the Yanks need a sweep- what with the other "Sox" coming in next! Hey, who'd a thought with all the injuries, that the Yankees would still have a chance (though small) in September. Not I!

Reaction Score
Well tonight's game against the White Sox is huge. Kuroda vs. Sales. One flying high (Sales), the other on a downswing. Last months game in Chicago, Sales got the best of Hiro 3-2 and the Yankees were swept. New York can't rely on mid-relief so he's got to go at least 7. I'm hoping he does, because the games are getting fewer, and the Yanks need a sweep- what with the other "Sox" coming in next! Hey, who'd a thought with all the injuries, that the Yankees would still have a chance (though small) in September. Not I!

Problems for the Yanks continue.......while you can't get upset with Kuroda because he was a beast all year he is now in trouble, maybe too tired. Him and CC on top of the rotation make it almost impossible to make the run required to moce into the 2 lot for the playoffs........

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
2 games out of the WC with a lot of time left (Rays up on Angels as I type). F the teams they have to jump. Just win each night.

Reaction Score
2 games out of the WC with a lot of time left (Rays up on Angels as I type). F the teams they have to jump. Just win each night.

Just going to be real tough if the top of the rotation can't get it done. With the Sox and Rays they will need to pitch well because they won't get 6-8 runs a night!! Not likely to sneak in but fun to be n position on a rough year!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Yankee Chances sounds like the name of a struggling alt-country band.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just going to be real tough if the top of the rotation can't get it done. With the Sox and Rays they will need to pitch well because they won't get 6-8 runs a night!! Not likely to sneak in but fun to be n position on a rough year!

Yup. But certainly no longer fantasy land. They have to beat the Chisox and then at least take the next two series. They have a month. Gaining about one game a week would do the trick. Having a major league batting order has changed the equation. Taking Hughes out of the rotation might not provide the answer, but he was certainly replaceable and who knows, Huff could be ready.

Reaction Score
The Yankee Chances sounds like the name of a struggling alt-country band.

Guess the good news is the name of that country band out of Boston last "No Chance" started in June of '12..........so this band's a lot better if you know what i mean;)....even on a "down" year!

Reaction Score
They just went out the window with the bullpen........hideous performances both nights by what is now a hideous bullpen.........never was one to believe you depend on a starter to get things done when he had lost confidence on the mound at any given time, the Hughes appearance was as predictable as any. Joba? Awful and the next time Preston Claiborne gets an out it will be the first..........you brought guys up to extend the roster, let's see what they have knowing what you already have is plain dreadful.........

Now knowing that, with the lead I had and knowing Andy doesn't hammer on his arm I would have extended his outing to 120-125 pitches because of your depleted 'pen.......not a good job by Girardi in a must win and a worst job by Cashman leaving him with that bullpen..........

Stick a fork in'em!............let's go Huskies men's hoops and Giants football!!! LOL

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Yep. Needed to take at least 2 from the Sox this weekend. Denied.

Reaction Score
They just went out the window with the bullpen........hideous performances both nights by what is now a hideous bullpen.........never was one to believe you depend on a starter to get things done when he had lost confidence on the mound at any given time, the Hughes appearance was as predictable as any. Joba? Awful and the next time Preston Claiborne gets an out it will be the first..........you brought guys up to extend the roster, let's see what they have knowing what you already have is plain dreadful.........

Now knowing that, with the lead I had and knowing Andy doesn't hammer on his arm I would have extended his outing to 120-125 pitches because of your depleted 'pen.......not a good job by Girardi in a must win and a worst job by Cashman leaving him with that bullpen..........

Stick a fork in'em!............let's go Huskies men's hoops and Giants football!!! LOL

Not so fast...two gutsy comebacks against Baltimore in consecutive nights and they suddenly find themselves 1 back of Tampa and 3.5 back of Texas (and check out their schedules down the stretch, they're brutal). I have to think at this point the Yanks have better than a 50/50 shot of getting one of the two Wild Card spots.

Reaction Score
Not so fast...two gutsy comebacks against Baltimore in consecutive nights and they suddenly find themselves 1 back of Tampa and 3.5 back of Texas (and check out their schedules down the stretch, they're brutal). I have to think at this point the Yanks have better than a 50/50 shot of getting one of the two Wild Card spots.

Well think about it, they lost 3 of 4 vs the Sox and then the opener of the O's series............while they still have a chance who would've thought the Rays would tank it as bad as they have? Remember we still have either Hughes or Huff tonight and in order to won we will more than likely need to throw an 8-9 spot up there..........at least!! They have zero bullpen, all hurt and they're wearing down a 40 yr old on the back end. I don't think 50/50 is good but hey they're giving us more than we could've asked as fans with that patched up team........no denying that they are plucky and gritty!;)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The bandwagon may look like a rickety Conestoga wagon but I'm on it. Its an uncomfortable ride but hell, we have hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom