The Wire | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Wire

Reaction Score
August_West said:
First 4 episodes are tough because it is setting up all the characters. Keep going!!!!

Best show of all time, seriously

Thanks for posting this. I have started the first episode several times but have never gone on. People tell me it is a great series.

Reaction Score
So I have watched this series almost 10 times through. My favorite show. My wife never watched it, finally got her to agree to give it a chance and we've been watching it together. We are on season 3 episode 10 right now and I just noticed something I never saw before 10 times through and its HUGE!!
I want to see if anyone noticed to it too, because it blew my mind
1) because of what it was
2) because through 10 watchings I never saw it!

Spoiler alert Don't read further if you haven't been through season 3 yet!

Episode 10 when brother mousone comes back to look for Omar, he sends his side kick Lamar into a gay bar as bait. There are a few scenes showing Lamar in the gay bar. In the last scene a guy puts his hands on Lamar and Lamar shoved him . The camera angle after the shove picks up the patrons lined up at the bar. One of the patrons is Rawls!!! Rawls is gay!

I don't think there is any other hint of that through all 5 seasons. The show is something else.
Surprised you never picked up on that, I love that they threw that in and never returned to it for a storyline.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Surprised you never picked up on that, I love that they threw that in and never returned to it for a storyline.
Never noticed it, and Ive picked on a ton of stuff through all the viewings, never that. Crazy

Reaction Score
Never noticed it, and Ive picked on a ton of stuff through all the viewings, never that. Crazy
It's a clear shot of Rawls sitting at the bar. They did nothing with it plot wise but perhaps it helps explain why he was so miserable.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So I have watched this series almost 10 times through. My favorite show. My wife never watched it, finally got her to agree to give it a chance and we've been watching it together. We are on season 3 episode 10 right now and I just noticed something I never saw before 10 times through and its HUGE!!
I want to see if anyone noticed to it too, because it blew my mind
1) because of what it was
2) because through 10 watchings I never saw it!

Spoiler alert Don't read further if you haven't been through season 3 yet!

Episode 10 when brother mousone comes back to look for Omar, he sends his side kick Lamar into a gay bar as bait. There are a few scenes showing Lamar in the gay bar. In the last scene a guy puts his hands on Lamar and Lamar shoved him . The camera angle after the shove picks up the patrons lined up at the bar. One of the patrons is Rawls!!! Rawls is gay!

I don't think there is any other hint of that through all 5 seasons. The show is something else.
Didn't read your post, on purpose, didn't want the spoiler. But I did notice Rawls in the bar, (1st viewing). They never come back to it though huh? hmmm seems like it would have made a decent plot line.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am halfway through Season 2. I like it, but I don't consider it as good as Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, West Wing or Game of Thrones. Even ER at its peak was better than the Wire. I like Omar and the Barksdale crew, bit some of the cops are a bit stereotypical.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am halfway through Season 2. I like it, but I don't consider it as good as Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, West Wing or Game of Thrones. Even ER at its peak was better than the Wire. I like Omar and the Barksdale crew, bit some of the cops are a bit stereotypical.
They were based on real cops. One of the writers was a Baltimore detective, the main writer was a police reporter in Baltimore. Actually most of the characters were based on real people.

August_West

Reaction Score

get back to us after seasons 3 and 4. You may feel differently. Or maybe not.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They were based on real cops. One of the writers was a Baltimore detective, the main writer was a police reporter in Baltimore. Actually most of the characters were based on real people.
Bunny Colvin's lieutenant in the show is the real Jay Landsman.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bunny Colvin's lieutenant in the show is the real Jay Landsman.
Yea, there were a lot of "real life" people in the show. The Deacon, who was Colvin's friend, helped Cutty, was a drug king-pin (Melvin Williams) and was actually arrested by Ed Burns (the former detective writer) years before. He was who Avon Barksdale was based on.

Snoop (Stanfield enforcer with Chris) was played by an actress actually named Snoop. She was a drug dealer in Baltimore and was as a youth, in prison for murder.

Steve Earle who played Walon, the recovering heroin addict who was Bubbles sponsor was/is a recovering heroin addict. He is also a folk/country/rock recording artist (Guitar Town, Copperhead Road)

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yea, there were a lot of "real life" people in the show. The Deacon, who was Colvin's friend, helped Cutty, was a drug king-pin (Melvin Williams) and was actually arrested by Ed Burns (the former detective writer) years before. He was who Avon Barksdale was based on.

Snoop (Stanfield enforcer with Chris) was played by an actress actually named Snoop. She was a drug dealer in Baltimore and was as a youth, in prison for murder.

Steve Earle who played Walon, the recovering heroin addict who was Bubbles sponsor was/is a recovering heroin addict. He is also a folk/country/rock recording artist (Guitar Town, Copperhead Road)
Steve Earle sang one of the versions (5th season, if I recall) of The Wire's theme. Tom Waits sang season 2.

There is a story (I first read it on Wikipedia, but later on IMDb) where Andre Royo (Bubbles) was in character one day and an actual heroin dealer tried to sell him drugs. He considers the interaction his "Street Emmy."

Sometimes stereotypes are stereotypes because they are true.

I have watched the series in its entirety at least 4 times (Some episodes more than that, but each one at least that many.). The 2nd season is underrated and has grown on me. It is just so different than the other four. I think it was kind of ballsy to make such a wide departure so early on.

Reaction Score
Get back to us when you complete the series and if you still feel the same way I'll tell you that you have no taste. I liked it so much I watched the whole series a second time and liked it even more on the repeat viewing.

August_West

Reaction Score
Get back to us when you complete the series and if you still feel the same way I'll tell you that you have no taste. I liked it so much I watched the whole series a second time and liked it even more on the repeat viewing.

Its even better the 3rd. Go for it. :)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong. I like the show a lot, but I don't consider it the best show in the history of shows. Probably Top 10 though.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong. I like the show a lot, but I don't consider it the best show in the history of shows. Probably Top 10 though.
No doubt the show is dated. It's tough to reconcile common flip phones and pagers in the age of High Definition, pervasive Wi-Fi, and smart phone technology. But when you get beyond that, the writing, acting, and character development elevate The Wire high than just top 10. That said, I did not get into West Wing (may see if it's available on Netflix one of these days) or Game of Thrones (From what I hear of it, I Really have zero desire to start.).

August_West

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:

If you think it's top 10 and you're not done with s2 yet, then I'm sure you are on the righteous path. ;-)

Reaction Score
No doubt the show is dated. It's tough to reconcile common flip phones and pagers in the age of High Definition, pervasive Wi-Fi, and smart phone technology. But when you get beyond that, the writing, acting, and character development elevate The Wire high than just top 10. That said, I did not get into West Wing (may see if it's available on Netflix one of these days) or Game of Thrones (From what I hear of it, I Really have zero desire to start.).
Dated? That's such a silly term when talking about any art medium. Of course it's dated as is any show that is not currently being produced. Technology changes, fashion changes, lingo changes but an amazing product will always be an amazing product.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Dated? That's such a silly term when talking about any art medium. Of course it's dated as is any show that is not currently being produced. Technology changes, fashion changes, lingo changes but an amazing product will always be an amazing product.
Are you agreeing with me? I can't tell. Seems like you are hung up on the first of three sentences.

August_West

Reaction Score

I kinda agree with this, especially with the wire. If you are getting hung up on the datedness of the cellular technology and what not you are mostly missing the point. And here is the flipside: The social commentary (war on drugs/legaization benefits from season 3) and Education issues in the inner city (season 4) are probably MORE relevant today than when they were created over a decade ago.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I kinda agree with this, especially with the wire. If you are getting hung up on the datedness of the cellular technology and what not you are mostly missing the point. And here is the flipside: The social commentary (war on drugs/legaization benefits from season 3) and Education issues in the inner city (season 4) are probably MORE relevant today than when they were created over a decade ago.
Did you got hung up on the first sentence as well?

August_West

Reaction Score
Did you got hung up on the first sentence as well?
Nope,
I read your whole post. I saw and understood what you said and realized you werent making that complaint, which is I why I didnt quote you. I took the opportunity to discuss a common compaint that Ive heard in general from people watching these days for the first time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Season 3 ending was pretty cool, and it was the best all around season of the show. Hamsterdam.

I have one little quibble with the direction. They have an awful lot of reaction shots in the show. This is not a 1980's sitcom where we need to see a character reacting to know the last line was funny. The dialogue and story is so strong, I don't know why the directors do that.

Reaction Score
Season 3 and 4 were the 2 best season, IMO. I liked them all (was only so-so on Season 2), but those 2 were my favorite.
It's funny, ever since I watched the series I now see The Wire references or connections all the time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Halfway through Season 5. SPOILERS BELOW

A little Soprano-y in that it is clear from the beginning of the season that the show is going to kill off a lot of key characters. I was very disappointed in the way the show killed off Proposition Joe. Joe outsmarted Barksdale and Bell, who were much smarter than Marlo. Joe would have seen Marlo coming a mile away, especially once Butch was killed. A guy like Joe can skip town in about 2 hours if he needs to. I thought it was a lazy way to get rid of him. Also, the Greek would never have anything to do with a renegade street thug like Marlo. The show should have been a little smarter about both developments.

Anyone who has read the dynamics of gang wars knows that if one group emerges more powerful, the other gangs typically go after that group to restore balance. All these gangs have muscle, yet they are all sitting around a Best Western waiting for Marlo to take over their territory one at a time.

I also don't get the plot line with McNulty and the fake serial killer. I can see a cop taking that kind of risk to cover his own ass, but would a cop really risk extended prison time just to take a shot at taking out a drug dealer? Especially since no one believes it.

Finally, the idea that the city would kill an investigation of a crew that had left 22 bodies is crazy, even for a fictional TV cop show.

The story was so tight the first 4 seasons, but it feels like the writers got lazy in season 5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom