The View From Section 241 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I refuse to blame the players, they are poorly led. They have as much talent as most of the teams we have played.

Reaction Score
Should of beat Army, USF, and Tulane. Coaches held us back. This team could be bowling, but thats not what Diaco wants.

Reaction Score
This. With the exception of the 2nd half of the Temple game, the team played hard and never quit. I forgave them for the Temple collapse after the 2nd half KO debacle. Regrettably, I watched the entire Cincy game yesterday. Team quit. Reminded me of UCF game last year. Flat quit from the opening whistle.

I'm not sure I agree with that extent of it. I didn't stay past the first TD of the second half by Cincy, but I didn't get the impression of partial effort, just disorganized chaos and ineffective football. It's entirely possible that they deflated and started going through motions after - because the majority of the stadium was there was emptied out by then too, and the chances of winning the game were non-existent, in week 10 of a 2-7 campaign to date. They are human beings, and young ones - those players.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree with that extent of it. I didn't stay past the first TD of the second half by Cincy, but I didn't get the impression of partial effort, just disorganized chaos and ineffective football. It's entirely possible that they deflated and started going through motions after - because the majority of the stadium was there was emptied out by then too, and the chances of winning the game were non-existent, in week 10 of a 2-7 campaign to date. They are human beings, and young ones - those players.

They were clearly going through the motions by second quarter. In hindsight, given the sudden defections, comments about cleaning out lockers, etc. we should not have been surprised.

Reaction Score
Trust me. When you come home to your wife - who is the most accepting and amazing woman you have ever known, and can deal withyour issues and habits and existence - come home hammered and stinking and having forgotten to text or call and she doesnt know if you are alive or in jail or in a hospital or what -after another night out with your old buddies, and the team lost 41-0?

Tough to justify doing it again.

LOL. I would point out, my friend, that the team having mailed it in does probably not explain in your spouse's eyes either not communicating during the game or coming home stinking drunk. But your sentiments are otherwise my sentiments. I expected this to take time, and I'm fine with the team losing a lot, but losing does not mean that playing like we did Saturday is either o.k. or watchable as a form of entertainment.

Reaction Score
LOL. I would point out, my friend, that the team having mailed it in does probably not explain in your spouse's eyes either not communicating during the game or coming home stinking drunk. But your sentiments are otherwise my sentiments. I expected this to take time, and I'm fine with the team losing a lot, but losing does not mean that playing like we did Saturday is either o.k. or watchable as a form of entertainment.

I know that. LOL. This place is as good a place as anywhere to air my stinky laundry.

Reaction Score
I refuse to blame the players, they are poorly led. They have as much talent as most of the teams we have played.

Of course you do. Which is why your comments only reflect on yourself, and not the coaches.

Reaction Score
Sad thing is that the crowd took on the demeanor of the team... Didn't cheer for good plays (few and far between obviously) and didn't even boo for the horrid ones (a fair number of them)..

The other thing that ticked me off to no end was the incessant playing of the fog horn / husky dog infomercial when there was a Cincy 3rd down... Being down 41-0 and playing that was somewhat counter intuitive...

Reaction Score
I think bizlaw nailed it when he called it an unwatchable form of entertainment. We were never in the game and the effort looked terrible from the stands. I do wonder if Diacos habit of saying the team sucks after losses has worn these guys out. They played hard every game this year except for Saturday night. I wouldn't blame them, after the ucf win he talks about his process is coming together, after the army loss its we suck less then when I got here but we still suck. Its a dangerous line a coach toes when he is constantly puting everything on the players when things go wrong.

Reaction Score
I think bizlaw nailed it when he called it an unwatchable form of entertainment. We were never in the game and the effort looked terrible from the stands. I do wonder if Diacos habit of saying the team sucks after losses has worn these guys out. They played hard every game this year except for Saturday night. I wouldn't blame them, after the ucf win he talks about his process is coming together, after the army loss its we suck less then when I got here but we still suck. Its a dangerous line a coach toes when he is constantly puting everything on the players when things go wrong.

Reading your post reminded me of Steve Spurrier after the Birmingham bowl in 2009. Holy cow, that seems like ancient history when we were able to play football like we did that day. I remember being upset and how much Spurrier put the blame for the game on himself, rather than crediting the Huskies. He made it clear we were the better team, but it was mostly because they didn't come to play prepared and ready properly.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=300020041

"We missed things the whole day. Passes, tackles," Spurrier said. "I'm embarrassed. Blame me. It was a sad, sad effort, especially the offense."
"The first thing I want to do is apologize to about 30,000 Gamecocks who came here to see a football game, and we couldn't put one on," he said. "I thought we were ready to play. But obviously our offense was very sad and our defense wasn't as good as it's been most of the time. We thoroughly got beat by a better team, a better disciplined team."

Somebody needs to write a book called the seven habits of highly effective HEAD football coaches, and give Bobby D the full text, not just the Cliffs Notes.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Reading your post reminded me of Steve Spurrier after the Birmingham bowl in 2009. Holy cow, that seems like ancient history when we were able to play football like we did that day. I remember being upset and how much Spurrier put the blame for the game on himself, rather than crediting the Huskies. He made it clear we were the better team, but it was mostly because they didn't come to play prepared and ready properly.

"We missed things the whole day. Passes, tackles," Spurrier said. "I'm embarrassed. Blame me. It was a sad, sad effort, especially the offense."
"The first thing I want to do is apologize to about 30,000 Gamecocks who came here to see a football game, and we couldn't put one on," he said. "I thought we were ready to play. But obviously our offense was very sad and our defense wasn't as good as it's been most of the time. We thoroughly got beat by a better team, a better disciplined team."

Somebody needs to write a book called the seven habits of highly effective HEAD football coaches, and give Bobby D the full text, not just the Cliffs Notes.

Good post. I agree 100% and I, too, remember being mad at Spurrier for saying this. But give him credit - he took 100% accountability while still managing to praise UCONN. UCONN dominated that game and the score was much closer than the actual game. Same thing happened in New York against Army. Score was probably closer than the actual game but instead of getting anywhere near what Spurrier said back in 2009, we got a "we were a colossal mess...now we're a smaller mess" line of BS. No wonder why his players seemingly have tuned him out and never bothered showing up this past Saturday night.

Reaction Score
I have trouble in Paradise. The Mrs. informed me that she's done with UConn for the balance of the season & won't attend the last game. I guess that I'll ask my brother-in-law if she actually means it. (It might actually have something to do with wedding planning for the little princess).

Reaction Score
Sad thing is that the crowd took on the demeanor of the team... Didn't cheer for good plays (few and far between obviously) and didn't even boo for the horrid ones (a fair number of them)..

The other thing that ticked me off to no end was the incessant playing of the fog horn / husky dog infomercial when there was a Cincy 3rd down... Being down 41-0 and playing that was somewhat counter intuitive...
My group of 3 ,which meant we had 3 no shows, left after the 41-0 score in the early third quarter. We kept asking ourselves if Joe D was going to do the always weak
" Drive of the game". It didn't seem like they had enough consecutive positive plays to give him material. Well did he do it since we didn't even listen to the rest of the game on the way home? Right now I don't think I will renew. We started off at 16 at the beginning of the Rent and now we are down to 6 with a bunch of no shows. Boy has this been a train wreck. I even have lost any enthusiasm for replying to the Boneyard guys, maybe the 3rd time in a month and a half. Not sure about SMU, it had better be a noon start.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
I can not believe that I bought a 3 game package based on Diaco's speech at the alumni dinner. I have SMU and Cincy remaining.

I was inspired now I am deflated!

Good lord, they must smile like the Chesire Cat when you walk onto a car lot

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score

No, no, NO!! He's already coaching and speaking out of some manual he read in the third grade, don't give him any more ideas!!!

Reaction Score
Should of beat Army, USF, and Tulane. Coaches held us back. This team could be bowling, but thats not what Diaco wants.

So Diaco answered "no" in the pre-season questionnaire when asked "Do you want to go to a Bowl Game this year"? Interesting. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Oh please. Does anyone really believe that? I am 100% positive Coach Diaco wants to win. I am not positive he knows how to get a team to win. And that makes me extremely nervous. We cannot afford a Greg Robinson at this point in time.

Reaction Score
Oh please. Does anyone really believe that? I am 100% positive Coach Diaco wants to win. I am not positive he knows how to get a team to win. And that makes me extremely nervous. We cannot afford a Greg Robinson at this point in time.
I agree. Anyone thinking Diaco doesn't want this program/team to win is foolish. Why would you leave ND, to come to Uconn and hope your team loses game after game. Really?!

Reaction Score
J187Money said:
Just need to text and check in a couple of times. That's all. Makes a world of difference.

There are different dynamics in all relationships. Your wife likes to be apprised of your status. My wife will leave me alone until I open the flood gates with an update, then she'll start asking questions. At that point she knows that I've had quite a few beers and that my few best friends and my brother all drink more than I do, which is quite a bit. Then she starts worrying and once she's worried for a half hour, she starts getting mad.

I think she is better left burying her head in the sand and pretending that I am drinking diet coke and wishing that the damn game would end so I could hurry home and spoon her. She falls asleep and I give her a kiss when I come in and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom