The View From Section 241 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm in agreement with Whaler on one thing, sort of I think. Diaco ' s decision making as a rookie head coach during game time, we'll he's pretty much used up his mulligan with me too. On the first tee. It's ok, with me though, its a long season and we have a real good opportunity now to play a whole bunch of players again and get that great feeling of coming back from a loss and stomping another team's guts out deep ingrained into everybody. we've all used that mully that early before, just need to come back strong and show it was a fluke, and not regular to hit it that far out of bounds, to earn another one.

Reaction Score
What a beautiful night for football. Perfect fall weather (like we've had all summer). A good crowd (the 35k announced looked low to me compared to what I saw) given the harm that has been done to our program. Not much enthusiasm, but we were down so quickly that's to be expected. Did it resemble the crowd for WVU and Pitt in '11 or LV or USF in '07? Of course not. But frankly I was surprised to see as many have stuck with the program as have given the disaster that was P, the disaster that is conference realignment and the fact that attendance at sporting events is down generally. Yes, traffic in CT is just god awful. Yes, I wish they could get us into the stadium easier. But it was a good night for football.

We didn't lose because of HCBD (although I'll get to that later). We lost because they were more talented up and down the rosters. We lost the game because we were clearly wearing cleats that weren't right for the turf, and we watched WR after WR slip and fall trying to cut (while BYU didn't have that problem). We lost because they had more experience and a staff that has been there winning more than losing for a while. And, most importantly, because our team is just not built for stopping a QB of that style that good. Our DEs, to a man, are to slow to even contain someone like that, much less pressure him, and once he's out of the pocket whether he runs or throws we're in trouble. If we play more QBs like him we'll lose more games. Until we get back to DEs who max out at 250 and can run. That's why we lost the game. Yes, whenever you play you can win if absolutely everything goes right. But we never had a material chance of winning that game, and it wouldn't matter if Vince Lombardi was coaching us.

I must say, the unbelievable number of substitutions and players used makes it incredibly difficult to talk about what I saw. But let's give it a try. On O, I thought the OL played competently. Yes, that's not huge praise, but it's lightyears ahead of where we were just a year ago, notwithstanding our losses to graduation. Thank you Mike Foley. I liked the way Ron Johnson ran through an arm tackle, I liked Mariner's burst and I liked Newsome's quickness and elusiveness. But they all need to learn stuff. Mariner did not score running to the corner when he couldn't execute a stiffarm. A Bellamy or a Brockington, neither with his legs, scores easily on that play. I liked the start of the TEs, especially Bloom. Other than Davis, the WRs were not good enough (and by the way -- Geremy Davis should not be off the field more than 10% of our offensive snaps, if at all). Obviously, not a fan of playing two QBs -- and even when I was ready for that the thought that we'd be changing during a drive is Pasquolini level stupidity. As to how they played, Whitmer made the nice escape and through to Bloom, and didn't turn it over, but wasn't accurate enough. Cochran was o.k. Neither got much help from their wideouts, not just with drops but with the inability to cut.

Specials was not, but it wasn't horrific either. Puyol made his kick, and got one KO into the endzone (although he kicked OB also). Wain needs to be better -- he looked like he was too focused on where the ball was going to land instead of just kicking it. Coverages weren't horrific, and if Newsome learns to take a KO and move at full speed even ahead of a hole being there he'll make a play or two this year.

Defense is harder to talk about, because there is not enough speed in the front 7 to stop offenses like BYU's. I can't blame 285 pound DEs for not being Cody Brown or Trevardo. There's no point. Stewart has athleticism but seems to struggle with coverages and reads. The frosh LB from PA -- is it Junior or Joseph -- looked much better to me than Ashiru playing in the middle. I thought Vann was solid. Williams needs to find the ball from the corner. I've never seen in Obi what others do. But I don't want to be too harsh after one game. The buttom line is the D could have quit at halftime and they didn't -- they played their butts off and, with the help of BYU mistakes, gave our O plenty of time to get back in the game. Ultimately, our O didn't finish drives at the level they were going to have to in order for us to have a chance to win.

So what about HCBD? Let's go back a bit, because I was quiet at the end of last season with both disillusionment and a lot of stuff going on in my life. I thought Warde ran a good process and made a good choice. Personally, I leaned to the Narduzzi because of his CT ties, and the thought that maybe he'd stay if successful, but HCBD was a good hire. We had better options than when we hired Edsall, because of where the program is, but frankly we didn't have the options we had when we hired P because of the realignment issues. But it was a good hire. But you never know with assistants if they'll be a good coach until they have their shot. So what happened Friday night? I think a lot of the criticism is silly. I thought the bodies coming in and off, given their number, did incredibly well (I only remember one defensive 4th down where there was real confusion) and certainly better than P's first year. Fifty players playing from scrimmage? No, I don't think you will ultimately win this way, and Friday night wasn't "ultimately." Did he need the evaluation? Does he consider the first three games preparation for the conference season? Did he feel he needed to play that many kids to get "buy in" up and down the roster? Who knows. But he deserves patience, and he deserves not to be criticized WHERE WE REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT HE IS THINKING. On the other hand, was there crazy stuff happening? LIke not just the two QBs but switching in the middle of a successful drive? Like Geremy Davis being on the bench so much? Like a naked run on a fake FG when we needed 16 yards, not 6? I don't think he coached a good game, or even close to it. But it was his first one and not a game we were likely to win in any event. Talk to me after five games, when we've played at USF and Temple and home and I've seen how we've done.

So that's it. I think many on here, with the joy of a new coaching regime, where far more optimistic than either HCBD's experience or our talent levels justify. 6-6 and a minor bowl bid would be a very, very successful season as far as I'm concerned. And I'm not at all confident we have 6 wins in us. The sooner I see Whitmer not playing the happier I'll be, but if he gets us to 6 wins with Cody, or with a two platoon, so be it. He gets a chance to do it his way. And the chance is going to take more time than it took to judge P unless the guy starts costing us games. Which he did not do Friday night.
Nice job BL...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Good write up BL and it makes a lot of sense of what all of us saw last Friday night.

Reaction Score
One thing about Diaco is that we keep hearing he has a plan. Warde said he was the most prepared for the questions in the interview and that he had a plan for the program. Everyone around him talks about his preparation and his planning.

I'm choosing to believe that the 2 QB system, the 50 plus players is part of the plan. Evaluate, give them playing time/experience. As much as it hurts, I also don't think he was playing that game to win it. After going down 14-0 six minutes into the game, I didn't think we had much chance to win it either.

If we're still playing 2 QB's in October, my energy bucket might turn into one of these.
tod-51645-2.jpg

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with you on the QB. Only problem is if Hill Played for us, he's only see 51% of the snaps. ;)

You sir are a ruthless bastard. :) Nice summation BL. I could not believe the amount of trouble our receivers had making good cuts and also making solid plays for the ball. It is like they forgot TJ telling them they have to go get it and not wait for it to fall in their arms. BYU's receivers and Davis get an A and the rest of our guys get a D-. I'm not going to get into the blocking by said group. If we had Hill we win, he was that good.

Reaction Score
Diaco was hired to be a step up from P, not a mirror image. He's been coaching at some high enough level programs to already know what he's doing so I'm not forgiving the first time mistake excuse as much as some. Some of the decisions were just plain wrong from which I'm sure he'll learn from but his outside of the box approach might be better served for schemes and plays, not for fundamentals and game time mechanics. For instance, you don't fake a field goal with the run when all night you've struggled with A) putting up any points and B) establishing any sense of a successful rushing attack. The cleats issue is something I really hadn't noticed or thought about. If it was a problem then that goes back on the coaches & managers not properly preparing or adjusting. They got to get away from natural turf and go with a playing field that will be consistent from August through December.

Offensive line, backs and TE's were not adequate in pass blocking. BYU just made a template for every other team the Huskies face this year on how to disrupt the offense. Blocking has got to get better or they'll never see another bowl game and by the end of next season some will be taking the same kind of cheap, personal shots at Diaco that they did with P. You can't solely depend on Geremy Davis, a couple more receivers have to step it up a level.

Defense gave up 25 more points than they should have. That's supposed to be Diaco's forte. They already knew what to expect from Hill and still it took over half the game to finally start to get any pressure on him. You put a speedy linebacker or D-back on Hill every play, just make sure you change who it is from play to play so BYU can't scheme for one guy. I watched Baylor's D blitz on almost every play vs SMU. Was hoping that Diaco the defensive guru was going to shorten Hill's time to react with a lot of blitzes seeing as Hill's weakness is passing. Force him to do what he's uncomfortable with, don't give him time to roll outside of the pocket which then freezes your zone coverege because no one is sure whether he's gonna run or not. Don't give him the opportunity. make him toss up a quick one or eat Husky turf. BYU's starting RB was out for that game so all the more reason to concentrate on making Hill decide faster than he wants to.

On the bright side the players look to be in better shape. They didn't run out of gas quite as early as years past. Diaco's sideline demeanor and engagement was a blessing as were the other coaches. There were some slight glimpses of future greatness in some players. BYU will probably be the toughest team UConn will face this year so it can only go up from here. I want to see how they fare vs Boise St. If they turn it into a full 4 quarter dog fight and the coaching decisions make more sense then save me a good seat on the band wagon.

Reaction Score
Too soon to tell on so many aspects of Friday night's opener. Many good observations have been made throughout this thread; some positive, others negative. Many of these assessments are, in fact, quite accurate - at least for the BYU game. Point is . . . time will tell. Patience will be a virtue for the time being, until we all know more. One thing for certain that hasn't changed . . . . . until UConn can score more TD's per game on offense (via rushing or the pass), they will continue to struggle to win games. This "hole" in their game really does need to get fixed.

Reaction Score
It always takes me a day or two or even three or four before I can digest a game when we lose and make a comment other than WTF! Well, here are my thoughts. (BL - Awesome as always.) I liked the fact that the team played hard for all 4 qtrs. I thought the OL did an acceptable job until the 4th when BYU opened up their entire blitz package and Chandler was running for his life again. (I think Chandler gets Happy Feet) I did not like the 2 QB play, and I dont think either one is the answer, but we should get used to seeing them because HCBD will red shirt Boyle if he can. The thing I was most dissapointed in was the dropped passes. I am not a scout, but to me it looked like we dropped a lot, and for a group that was supposed to be our strong suit that has to change. The RB's I thought played well, all four should continue to get some reps.

Lastly I beleive that HCBD, is playing the first three games as a way to see how his players react during a real game. When we get to conference play I think we will see a drop in the number of players who get in the game, and it will be the players that prove they can play in the field not during pratice.

JMHO...

On to Stony Brook. See you on Sat section 123.

Reaction Score
After cooling off, the only issue I have is the QB rotation. I think that by the time we play our fourth partner, the depth chart will be much more solid with Wacky Bob Diaco (WBD) having a pretty good idea of which players give us the best chance to win.

We really shoulb't be surprised, the guy is known for strange unconventional ideas.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have no problem with getting 3 points down 21 especially on 4th & 12. The comment post game about getting Puyol practice is a head scratcher, but you take the points every single time there. I'm not sure a Whitmer led play netted 12 yards all game.

Reaction Score
One bit of analysis that I will take issue with (or at least tweak) is your contention that the personnel does not meet the needs of the scheme on defense, seemingly because we can't generate a pass rush from the ends. No, our defensive ends are not going to be very good at rushing or pursuing the quarterback, but they are not called upon to do that in Diaco's defense. They are primarily gap stuffers and occupiers of blockers. If anything, we are a bit small on the defensive line as I think Diaco would prefer a bigger guy lining up across from the center. Ultimately I think the bigger issue with the 3-4 is the linebackers, who need to be capable of run support, blitzing/pass rushing, and coverage. I think the linebackers as a unit really struggle with the third portion of that. Whether they can be effective blitzers remains to be seen, as the game plan against Hill appeared to be to try to keep him in the pocket and wait until he made a mistake (he didn't).

Reaction Score
Is it just me ...

With BYU (unlike Palatine's view), I thought it wasn't just Taysom Hill. Maybe I got focused on the entire Program: we had 8 True Fresh play & lots of kids who never ever saw the field before. BYU didn't. They had solid veterans & didn't look like they were playing their first college game.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I have no problem with getting 3 points down 21 especially on 4th & 12. The comment post game about getting Puyol practice is a head scratcher, but you take the points every single time there. I'm not sure a Whitmer led play netted 12 yards all game.

How do you figure?

We were down 21 points with 12 minutes. to go.

You make the FG, you're down 18 (3 possessions), you don't convert on 4th down you're down 21 points (3 possessions).

The only thing that could've made t the odds of winning better would have been a TD.

The key component here is that it was the 4th quarter.

So unless you think in 12 minutes UConn was getting a TD, TD+2, and a FG to tie, it was wrong.

It was a poor decision and the practice from the right hash comment was just idiotic.

Reaction Score
Is it just me ...

With BYU (unlike Palatine's view), I thought it wasn't just Taysom Hill. Maybe I got focused on the entire Program: we had 8 True Fresh play & lots of kids who never ever saw the field before. BYU didn't. They had solid veterans & didn't look like they were playing their first college game.

For a team with a bunch of experience, they sure committed a lot of undisciplined penalties . . . . But yes, as a whole, they were physically more mature.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
How do you figure?
We were down 21 points with 12 minutes. to go.
You make the FG, you're down 18 (3 possessions), you don't convert on 4th down you're down 21 points (3 possessions).
The only thing that could've made t the odds of winning better would have been a TD.
The key component here is that it was the 4th quarter.
So unless you think in 12 minutes UConn was getting a TD, TD+2, and a FG to tie, it was wrong.
It was a poor decision and the practice from the right hash comment was just idiotic.
Because 4th & 12 and a very small chance of converting with Whitmer on the field. Plus if UConn was lucky enough to get the ball back three more times, those three TD's that would have tied the game, now win it instead. It was the right call. The comment was dumb.

Reaction Score
One bit of analysis that I will take issue with (or at least tweak) is your contention that the personnel does not meet the needs of the scheme on defense, seemingly because we can't generate a pass rush from the ends. No, our defensive ends are not going to be very good at rushing or pursuing the quarterback, but they are not called upon to do that in Diaco's defense. They are primarily gap stuffers and occupiers of blockers. If anything, we are a bit small on the defensive line as I think Diaco would prefer a bigger guy lining up across from the center. Ultimately I think the bigger issue with the 3-4 is the linebackers, who need to be capable of run support, blitzing/pass rushing, and coverage. I think the linebackers as a unit really struggle with the third portion of that. Whether they can be effective blitzers remains to be seen, as the game plan against Hill appeared to be to try to keep him in the pocket and wait until he made a mistake (he didn't).

It is absolutely true that in a 3-4 the Des are less ass rushers and some responsibility shifts to the OLBs. Having said that, all our DEs. Don't move at all and under Edsall would be DTs

Reaction Score
Too soon to tell on so many aspects of Friday night's opener. Many good observations have been made throughout this thread; some positive, others negative. Many of these assessments are, in fact, quite accurate - at least for the BYU game. Point is . . . time will tell. Patience will be a virtue for the time being, until we all know more. One thing for certain that hasn't changed . . . . . until UConn can score more TD's per game on offense (via rushing or the pass), they will continue to struggle to win games. This "hole" in their game really does need to get fixed.

Wait my friend? Did you just type we could score more TDs either passing or rushing? O.K., who got TDH's log in code and is pretending to be him?

Reaction Score
@weyuo

Paul Pasqualoni and George Deleone aren't walking through that door.

Get over it.

Finally!

RD inherited a steaming pile of PPGDL manure so toxic and malodorous that no self-respecting Vietnamese farmer would use it in his rice paddy. UCONN football was a super-fund site. RD and his staff put a plan together, donned hazmat gear, and waded in. Some seem to think the remediation should require nothing more than a few simple bulldozer/dump truck passes. Unfortunately, it looks like this toxic mess needs to be handled one shovel-full at a time.

RD made some decisions on Friday that he may never make again. He's already questioned changing QB's mid-drive. Given the context, and his explanation, the field goal was not a big deal; unless you're a gambler. I sure don't think his mindset was, "I give up. Let's kick a field goal." But when evaluating his decisions, remember that he's the one in the hazmat suit, shoveling disgusting PPGDL poop. All we're doing is complaining about how long it's taking. Totally different context.

From minute-one there was a noticeable difference between this and last season. Given the rate in which BYU runs plays, last years defense would have shown a combination of guys puking and gasping for air; all either on one knee or bent over with hands-on-knees. They wouldn't have been pointing fingers, though. Need arm strength to lift and point.

Reaction Score
It is absolutely true that in a 3-4 the Des are less ass rushers and some responsibility shifts to the OLBs. Having said that, all our DEs. Don't move at all and under Edsall would be DTs

Yes, but I think that would be true of most any college 3-4 end, save the absolute most athletic . . .

I do question what is the right alignment for a program such as UConn's. I think the 3-4 is a more versatile front, but overall it relies on having players that are at a premium in the college game. I wonder if programs like ours should favor the 4-3, which doesn't require 325 pound tackles and 250 pound linebackers with speed, and where you can take undersized guys and bulk them up.

Reaction Score
Wait my friend? Did you just type we could score more TDs either passing or rushing? O.K., who got TDH's log in code and is pretending to be him?

See, a good long summer was just what was needed to get your sense of humor back in tow. I'll take TD's anyway I can get them, just as long as UConn is putting up 4 or 5 or more per game. If running can produce that, then Hoo-rah! But . . . not think they will generate that kind of scoring without a good, solid, dependable, fully integrated into the offense, passing game. So if your druthers is a "ground and pound", pass only on 3rd and long, offense than be prepare for scoring "not enough points" to permit the defense to hold on and win.

So for as much as anyone can gleen from one game, UConn appears to be committed - unlike in the Randy & PP eras - to both the pass and the run. Encouraging. Again, patience will be a virtue at this early juncture since it is too early to be anything other than cautiously optimistic going forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69