The View From Section 241 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What a beautiful night for football. Perfect fall weather (like we've had all summer). A good crowd (the 35k announced looked low to me compared to what I saw) given the harm that has been done to our program. Not much enthusiasm, but we were down so quickly that's to be expected. Did it resemble the crowd for WVU and Pitt in '11 or LV or USF in '07? Of course not. But frankly I was surprised to see as many have stuck with the program as have given the disaster that was P, the disaster that is conference realignment and the fact that attendance at sporting events is down generally. Yes, traffic in CT is just god awful. Yes, I wish they could get us into the stadium easier. But it was a good night for football.

We didn't lose because of HCBD (although I'll get to that later). We lost because they were more talented up and down the rosters. We lost the game because we were clearly wearing cleats that weren't right for the turf, and we watched WR after WR slip and fall trying to cut (while BYU didn't have that problem). We lost because they had more experience and a staff that has been there winning more than losing for a while. And, most importantly, because our team is just not built for stopping a QB of that style that good. Our DEs, to a man, are to slow to even contain someone like that, much less pressure him, and once he's out of the pocket whether he runs or throws we're in trouble. If we play more QBs like him we'll lose more games. Until we get back to DEs who max out at 250 and can run. That's why we lost the game. Yes, whenever you play you can win if absolutely everything goes right. But we never had a material chance of winning that game, and it wouldn't matter if Vince Lombardi was coaching us.

I must say, the unbelievable number of substitutions and players used makes it incredibly difficult to talk about what I saw. But let's give it a try. On O, I thought the OL played competently. Yes, that's not huge praise, but it's lightyears ahead of where we were just a year ago, notwithstanding our losses to graduation. Thank you Mike Foley. I liked the way Ron Johnson ran through an arm tackle, I liked Mariner's burst and I liked Newsome's quickness and elusiveness. But they all need to learn stuff. Mariner did not score running to the corner when he couldn't execute a stiffarm. A Bellamy or a Brockington, neither with his legs, scores easily on that play. I liked the start of the TEs, especially Bloom. Other than Davis, the WRs were not good enough (and by the way -- Geremy Davis should not be off the field more than 10% of our offensive snaps, if at all). Obviously, not a fan of playing two QBs -- and even when I was ready for that the thought that we'd be changing during a drive is Pasquolini level stupidity. As to how they played, Whitmer made the nice escape and through to Bloom, and didn't turn it over, but wasn't accurate enough. Cochran was o.k. Neither got much help from their wideouts, not just with drops but with the inability to cut.

Specials was not, but it wasn't horrific either. Puyol made his kick, and got one KO into the endzone (although he kicked OB also). Wain needs to be better -- he looked like he was too focused on where the ball was going to land instead of just kicking it. Coverages weren't horrific, and if Newsome learns to take a KO and move at full speed even ahead of a hole being there he'll make a play or two this year.

Defense is harder to talk about, because there is not enough speed in the front 7 to stop offenses like BYU's. I can't blame 285 pound DEs for not being Cody Brown or Trevardo. There's no point. Stewart has athleticism but seems to struggle with coverages and reads. The frosh LB from PA -- is it Junior or Joseph -- looked much better to me than Ashiru playing in the middle. I thought Vann was solid. Williams needs to find the ball from the corner. I've never seen in Obi what others do. But I don't want to be too harsh after one game. The buttom line is the D could have quit at halftime and they didn't -- they played their butts off and, with the help of BYU mistakes, gave our O plenty of time to get back in the game. Ultimately, our O didn't finish drives at the level they were going to have to in order for us to have a chance to win.

So what about HCBD? Let's go back a bit, because I was quiet at the end of last season with both disillusionment and a lot of stuff going on in my life. I thought Warde ran a good process and made a good choice. Personally, I leaned to the Narduzzi because of his CT ties, and the thought that maybe he'd stay if successful, but HCBD was a good hire. We had better options than when we hired Edsall, because of where the program is, but frankly we didn't have the options we had when we hired P because of the realignment issues. But it was a good hire. But you never know with assistants if they'll be a good coach until they have their shot. So what happened Friday night? I think a lot of the criticism is silly. I thought the bodies coming in and off, given their number, did incredibly well (I only remember one defensive 4th down where there was real confusion) and certainly better than P's first year. Fifty players playing from scrimmage? No, I don't think you will ultimately win this way, and Friday night wasn't "ultimately." Did he need the evaluation? Does he consider the first three games preparation for the conference season? Did he feel he needed to play that many kids to get "buy in" up and down the roster? Who knows. But he deserves patience, and he deserves not to be criticized WHERE WE REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT HE IS THINKING. On the other hand, was there crazy stuff happening? LIke not just the two QBs but switching in the middle of a successful drive? Like Geremy Davis being on the bench so much? Like a naked run on a fake FG when we needed 16 yards, not 6? I don't think he coached a good game, or even close to it. But it was his first one and not a game we were likely to win in any event. Talk to me after five games, when we've played at USF and Temple and home and I've seen how we've done.

So that's it. I think many on here, with the joy of a new coaching regime, where far more optimistic than either HCBD's experience or our talent levels justify. 6-6 and a minor bowl bid would be a very, very successful season as far as I'm concerned. And I'm not at all confident we have 6 wins in us. The sooner I see Whitmer not playing the happier I'll be, but if he gets us to 6 wins with Cody, or with a two platoon, so be it. He gets a chance to do it his way. And the chance is going to take more time than it took to judge P unless the guy starts costing us games. Which he did not do Friday night.

Last edited:

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Thanks BL. It's good to see your View again. Good observations all around but a couple I hadn't caught on TV were the DE and WR play. Those would have had a significant impact on the outcome given the level of competition Friday night. I'm hoping to see some changes from the players as well as HCBD, most of which you called out. Looking forward to a good progress report from you next weekend.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Great to read the View again! Nailed it overall. I especially agree with your last paragraph - I think Alan Greenspan would call it "irrational exuberance" - and some of the silliness is the hangover effect of that.

Quick note about Davis, he went to the locker room in the 2nd half and came back after a few minutes, not sure if this was a factor in his being on the sidelines when you mentioned. Also I didn't hear if this was injury, or maybe he was just changing his cleats.

Reaction Score
Great to read the View again! Nailed it overall. I especially agree with your last paragraph - I think Alan Greenspan would call it "irrational exuberance" - and some of the silliness is the hangover effect of that.

Quick note about Davis, he went to the locker room in the 2nd half and came back after a few minutes, not sure if this was a factor in his being on the sidelines when you mentioned. Also I didn't hear if this was injury, or maybe he was just changing his cleats.
Hey Jungle husky...saw Davis limping, trainers working on him and then onto the stationary and into the lockerroom...but he came back out etc...

Reaction Score
I did notice him coming back from the locker room that time. But he was on the bench both before and after that as well.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time accepting that we need to rotate Whitmer in to evaluate him. During the evaluation phase playing one QB will give us a fighting chance.

Reaction Score
Welcome back Biz. Good to see ya' in mid season form. Kind of hard for me (and many of us) diehards who have lived through the disastrous last three years to accept the exhibition mentality for the first few games - mostly because we go to games to root this team on with the hope that they will win. That being said, I have now recalibrated my expectations for Stony Brook and Boise. Just hope the mad scientist thing turns out positively because we all know it's a short walk from genius to insanity.

Reaction Score
Welcome back Biz. Good to see ya' in mid season form. Kind of hard for me (and many of us) diehards who have lived through the disastrous last three years to accept the exhibition mentality for the first few games - mostly because we go to games to root this team on with the hope that they will win. That being said, I have now recalibrated my expectations for Stony Brook and Boise. Just hope the mad scientist thing turns out positively because we all know it's a short walk from genius to insanity.

I understand that, and I have no problem with any fan demanding that a coach be focused on winning a particular game when he is coaching it. We shelled out our money to attend and pay him. But given the disaster he took over, I'm not going to be upset if he's coaching with a longer time horizon. Just my personal position.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agree with most of your analysis and opinions. It will be much easier for us all to get a read on our roster depth and talent after we play Stony Brook than after we play BYU.

QBs - unfortunately, I think the QB shuffle will continue through the Stony Brook game. I just hope that it doesn't happen mid-possession ever again.

RBs - I kind of like the shuffle at RB to be honest. Eventually, the RB rotation will be trimmed either through talent/performance or injuries. But I like having fresh legs in there on all downs. All of our backs seem to be able to break tackles and finish runs (although I also was disappointed that Marriner didn't score on that sweep play that you mentioned).

WRs - couldn't agree more about Davis: he needs to be on the field for ALL plays for as long as he is healthy and able to breathe. He is, without question, our biggest big-play threat. I think that Abrams will eventually slot in as our #2.

TEs - probably the most "pleasant surprise" unit of the offense. Knew there was talent...just didn't expect it to be on display so early in the season.

OL - agreed, there was improvement and happy to see Foley back in charge. Run block was better and I thought pass protection, for the most part, was solid (there were a few blitzes that weren't picked up but that's not entirely on the OL).

DL/LBs - grouped together because the front 7 is a cohesive unit in a 3-4. I thought the DL played contain but didn't set up wide enough to flush Hill inside. BYU's OL is big and good so it's tough to be critical. It was really up to our LBs to filter and chase Hill and he was able to operate in too much space for most of the game. Plus, it's very difficult to defend a read-option/run option-pass option offense with against a QB like that. I'm not sure there is anything the front 7 could have done differently other than get faster overnight. Too much speed for their offense.

Secondary - their 2nd TD (immediately following Max's fumble) was a blown assignment. There were a handful of others throughout the game but, like the LBs, it's tough to defend a run/pass option QB when he gets into space.

Special teams - kicking the ball out of bounds on a kickoff is my biggest stupid penalty pet peeve. No excuse or reason for that, even though it wound up not costing us thanks to their chop block penalty on the ensuing kickoff. Agree with your assessment on Wain. He has hang-time but didn't really drive the ball on all punts to change the field. I was happy to see Puyol drill his kick especially since his last attempt last year was shanked. The fake FG is on the coaches, not the execution. Feagles gained some 10 yards on the run but the distance was too great to ask a punter to rush for it.

Coaching - 100% agree with giving Diaco and staff a few games to evaluate and trim the depth chart. The fake FG and swapping Cochran for Whitmer mid-drive were the two biggest decisions that jumped off the page for me. I didn't even mind the FG late in the game. I thought the team battled and continued fighting to the bitter end and that was great to see.

Crowd - I was hoping for a sell-out but I guess 35K wasn't too bad considering there were 31K sold as of 24 hours before kickoff. I was REALLY excited to see so many fans buying tickets and giving them away as well as spreading the word on the FILLTHERENT promo on social media. Tough for the crowd to stay energized when we got down 14-0 right out of the gates. We still have a long way to go as a football fanbase in terms of filling the building, getting to our seats before kickoff, knowing when to get loud and staying until the very end of games.

Season outlook - I'm a glass half full kind of guy and still think we are going to reach a bowl game. I still think 6-7 wins are possible this season. Confidence is a wonderful thing in college athletics. Beat Stony Brook and this team will begin to feel good about themselves in time for Boise. Play well in that game, then watch-out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I understand that, and I have no problem with any fan demanding that a coach be focused on winning a particular game when he is coaching it. We shelled out our money to attend and pay him. But given the disaster he took over, I'm not going to be upset if he's coaching with a longer time horizon. Just my personal position.

So unless I missed it you stayed silent on the decision to take three down 21.

Is getting the kicker a shot from right hash worth throwing in the towel on a game?

Also I haven't seen anyone be critical over playing 50 from scrimmage - only the comments about it post game.

Reaction Score
Diaco said in the postgame interview that Davis had a hand injury that kept him out of the game at the end of the 3rd/early 4th quarter. FWIW.

Nice write up. I'm in the camp that wasn't impressed with Diaco's first game, but I'm gonna be patient with him. He flat out said in the AAC conf call that we are not a good team yet.

Last thing: you Hathaway, Pasqualoni, and DeLeone.

Reaction Score
So unless I missed it you stayed silent on the decision to take three down 21.

Is getting the kicker a shot from right hash worth throwing in the towel on a game?

Also I haven't seen anyone be critical over playing 50 from scrimmage - only the comments about it post game.

Doing it for practice, if he was serious, was dumb. But I didn't think it was batsh** stupid when he did it. Who knows if the 3 points wouldn't have helped down the road.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If the athletic department wants the Rent filled, they need to start doing $20 games a lot more. People won't come unless that's the case. The casual fan won't pay $40 or $50 to see a "less-than stellar" team.

But the only thing I want to see go away is the dual-QB nonsense. Once we get some consistency at QB, then we'll start to improve drastically on the offensive side of the ball.

Reaction Score
I love college football and Friday night was beautiful. Tailgated with my brothers and nephew. Watched my favorite team give a good effort.

I honestly don't understand how folks can get to a point and post the drivel they post after some of these games. Whaler, I honestly feel sorry for you, because I don't know how you can enjoy much of anything with what I assume is an absolute all or nothing approach to something that should be a pastime for us. I'm passionate, but jee wiz man!

Anyway, biz, thank you. Pretty much what I saw as well. My only point would be that I'm not sure our problems on D don't extend mainly to the LBs. I would assume with the 3-4 that you would want contain and penetration up front with the LBs providing pressure on various blitz packages. I didn't see anyone who could make runs at the QB.

I think the offense will actually be pretty good and I expect we will run very well against a lot of our competition. The OL is light years ahead of where I thought it could reasonably be.

As for Diaco, he has mastered coach speak early in his head coaching career. Frankly, if I had his job, I would do exactly the same thing. I deal with the press very infrequently and when I do I am extraordinarily cautious. That said, the guy is not a dope. Brian Kelly brought him to Cincinnati and then to ND. Brian Kelly suffers no fools and is a ruthless bastard. Diaco knows football and given some time will probably be a good HC. Given some time.....

C

Chief00

You coach regular season games to win them. While true we were overmatched but the approach should not change; it is not a scrimmage.

Reaction Score
It was a nice night.

But I disagree on the talent statement. They had one incredible skill player. Past that, the squads were not that far apart talent wise. Put Hill on the Huskies and we win.

I see people make this mistake over ad over. What the Huskies lack is one or two special talents on the squad. The rest is pretty close. Give BYU Whitmer and the Huskies Hill and everyone will say BYU didn't have the horses to keep up with us. It's the special player, that one guy, or two, that we lack.

And it looked worse than it was because we played guys who didn't know what to do. On the first TD, we get good pressure up the middle but Stapeton completely loses contain and Hill trots in holding the ball over his head. Maybe in three games Stapleton learns to hold the edge. Again, not a talent issue, a redshirt freshman issue. In a couple of years we could be raving about Stapleton.

Didn't we learn anything from the P era? We put plenty of talent on the field. We need it to play to its potential and it would be nice, just once, to be the team with Dennard Robinson or Pat White.

Reaction Score
It was a nice night.

But I disagree on the talent statement. They had one incredible skill player. Past that, the squads were not that far apart talent wise. Put Hill on the Huskies and we win.

I see people make this mistake over ad over. What the Huskies lack is one or two special talents on the squad. The rest is pretty close. Give BYU Whitmer and the Huskies Hill and everyone will say BYU didn't have the horses to keep up with us. It's the special player, that one guy, or two, that we lack.

And it looked worse than it was because we played guys who didn't know what to do. On the first TD, we get good pressure up the middle but Stapeton completely loses contain and Hill trots in holding the ball over his head. Maybe in three games Stapleton learns to hold the edge. Again, not a talent issue, a redshirt freshman issue. In a couple of years we could be raving about Stapleton.

Didn't we learn anything from the P era? We put plenty of talent on the field. We need it to play to its potential and it would be nice, just once, to be the team with Dennard Robinson or Pat White.

I tend to agree with you on the QB. Only problem is if Hill Played for us, he's only see 51% of the snaps. ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love college football and Friday night was beautiful. Tailgated with my brothers and nephew. Watched my favorite team give a good effort.

I honestly don't understand how folks can get to a point and post the drivel they post after some of these games. Whaler, I honestly feel sorry for you, because I don't know how you can enjoy much of anything with what I assume is an absolute all or nothing approach to something that should be a pastime for us. I'm passionate, but jee wiz man!

Anyway, biz, thank you. Pretty much what I saw as well. My only point would be that I'm not sure our problems on D don't extend mainly to the LBs. I would assume with the 3-4 that you would want contain and penetration up front with the LBs providing pressure on various blitz packages. I didn't see anyone who could make runs at the QB.

I think the offense will actually be pretty good and I expect we will run very well against a lot of our competition. The OL is light years ahead of where I thought it could reasonably be.

As for Diaco, he has mastered coach speak early in his head coaching career. Frankly, if I had his job, I would do exactly the same thing. I deal with the press very infrequently and when I do I am extraordinarily cautious. That said, the guy is not a dope. Brian Kelly brought him to Cincinnati and then to ND. Brian Kelly suffers no fools and is a ruthless bastard. Diaco knows football and given some time will probably be a good HC. Given some time.....

Since you named me I'll respond:

You can save the sympathy, I am perfectly fine having higher standards than what I witnessed on Friday from a number of different entities.

If you are ok turning out for a game to sit in birdsh!t to watch the coach quit with 13:00 left, I can accept your opinion.

You'll quickly see that there is a silent majority who agrees with me.

Reaction Score
I generally agree with Whaler. But I'm just not that mad about it. Talk to me after Boise.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the write up. Always appreciate it.

Diaco will have every opportunity to try and turn this program as he sees fit.

I can buy into a lot of things about playing the long game and realizing this isn't a win now situation.

Some things I can't reconcile but that's been discussed as nauseum.

On to Stony Brook.

Reaction Score
Since you named me I'll respond:

You can save the sympathy, I am perfectly fine having higher standards than what I witnessed on Friday from a number of different entities.

If you are ok turning out for a game to sit in birdsh!t to watch the coach quit with 13:00 left, I can accept your opinion.

You'll quickly see that there is a silent majority who agrees with me.

Whaler, the point I was trying to make is that I can only conclude from your posts that you had a miserable time on a beautiful night for opening a season. It's none of my business so I will leave it alone.

Btw, I have very high standards...

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Thanks Biz, great to see the return of the original 'View'.

You coach regular season games to win them. While true we were overmatched but the approach should not change; it is not a scrimmage.

Chief - HBCD is saying 'exhibition' and the evidence is that he's believing it. I understand the frustration of paying regular season prices but we shouldn't be surprised when he does what he says he will.

Palatine said:
What the Huskies lack is one or two special talents on the squad. The rest is pretty close. Give BYU Whitmer and the Huskies Hill and everyone will say BYU didn't have the horses to keep up with us. It's the special player, that one guy, or two, that we lack.

And it's a handful of plays, if that. Make the 4th down stop on the first drive. Don't throw the red zone pick. It's a one TD game either way at the half....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, the point I was trying to make is that I can only conclude from your posts that you had a miserable time on a beautiful night for opening a season. It's none of my business so I will leave it alone.

Btw, I have very high standards...

You didn't need to conclude too hard - I flat out said that in a post.

I'm tired of the small time nonsense that we are being fed after 12 years in the stadium. The parking, the condition of the seating, the minor league feel of third downs, microphones not working on the field, the public address playing Subway games during plays....

It's painful to me how small time they act. I'll get over it but it seemed we were ready to turn the corner and now it feels like we are behind 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom