The View From Section 241 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Less than two months ago, I was willing to get in a car and drive five hours to see us play at Maryland. Saturday night, I told my wife it was o.k. to have people over for dinner. Now, granted, this couple was still without power, and we were doing something nice, but normally a Saturday night conference game mean we go out to dinner early and I watch the game live. But this season, I just didn't have the enthusiasm to say no. So I watched on DVR, fast forwarding between plays, from 10 to 11:30. Sign of the times.

But you say it isn't all about me? O.K., let's talk about the game. We played another team that doesn't appear horrific, but can't seem to beat anyone. We bounced back from Syracuse, and we played hard, and we had our chances, but once again we just didn't get it done. Someone needed to make one more play than they did. The easiest thing to point to was Byron Jones dropping an easy pick (I mean easy) at the USF 30 that would have set us up to give us the lead and probably win the game. And the ball was dropped. Now, that's not blaming Byron Jones for the loss -- he played an outstanding game overall -- but when you are struggling to score points and win, that is the difference between winning and losing. Two years ago, we make that play on our run to the Fiesta. Heck, last year Byron Jones makes that play (did make that play, although it was a fumble) on our way to a respectable 3-4 Big East season. This year, the ball is dropped. And we lose.

Not much to say about special teams. Chad Christen bounced back very nicely (unfortunately, from costing us a game that might have been the nail on this season's coffin). Solid game by Wagner. Kick coverages were fine. I don't know that I've ever seen a game where a team had not one punt or kickoff return combined, but we managed. Specials didn't play a role in last night's loss one way or the other.

The D was real, real solid. Gave up one long TD drive and then, after that, zilch. Two FGs following UConn turnovers, and only after giving our O plenty of chances to win the football game. Tim Willman got more run opposite Trevardo than he had been getting, and I thought he looked fine. Nice to see Trevardo get the sack record. This year has been disappointing, but with Jennings and Joseph out, he is double teamed constantly and just isn't getting a chance to show what he can do. Quick -- when is the last time you've seen a team throw to a WR that Blidi is covering man to man? The only negative, as said elsewhere, is that, despite the very good performance, only one turnover, in our defensive goal endzone, and not even a key three and out or two when they were backed up to give us field position. But for our last, quick possession of the 1st half which we turned into 3, our offense was backed up the entire game. Now, again, it's asking a lot for a D not just to stop the other team but to set our O up as well. But there have been years where we've needed the D to do that to win games, and it's happened. Apparently, it won't happen this year.

The offense is very strange. For the second straight week, we threw the ball extremely effectively, and for a lot of yardage. Over the last two games, we've thrown for a total of pushing 600 yards, and have a total of 16 points. How is that possible? Well, first, you have to never have field position, and second, you have to be able, consistently, to have 40 yard drives every time until going back and forth between 0 and 80 yard drives. Your WRs, while playing well, have to never have YAC. Which ours, despite having very good games (at least Smitty, Williams and especially Davis) don't have. And you have to be able to not run a lick. Which we've now mastered. Whitmer will be really good by the time he's done. Davis needs more YAC, but is becoming very good. For all the problems, we should be scoring more. And yet, while we looked better as the game went on, at 7-6 we turned the ball over on three straight drives. Three. And lost again. The only thing I'll say about the play calling -- when you throw it as effectively as we did, throw it. On first down. Consistently. If you keep throwing it on first down, successfully, maybe eventually teams will back off the line of scrimmage and running will be easier.

So we're 3-6 and riding a 3 game losing streak. We will not go bowling this year. But, with some breaks (which have been in incredibly short supply since the fumbe by Chandler at WMU), I still believe we can win Friday night. So I will be there, and we'll see what happens. As for the staff, the entire offensive philosophy, and the relationship between GDL and his players, will not change this year. So, hopefully the players will play through it and win again, and then we'll have to see what the off season brings.

Reaction Score
Biz, I think your opening sentences nailed it. This coaching debacle has sucked the enthusiasm from what was becoming a passionate fanbase. While I was always a fan, it was such a joy to watch my wife gradually become a Husky fanatic during these Big East years. She looked forward with relish going to our home games and enjoying the tailgating experience with great friends---as well as loving to attend several away games. We'd even bring some of our grandkids on those wonderful adventures that are road trips to watch the Huskies. Yet, this week, we did not go to Tampa. Like you, we stayed home, Tivo'd the game and watched it later. Granted, it was our anniversary, lol, but in the past that wouldn't have stopped her. She's simply worn out by the sad display of this coaching staff, and sick over what they've done to sap the confidence of these players, many of whom she considers family. Neither she nor I will ever give up on the players, and we'll certainly be there on Friday, enthusiastically cheering for our Huskies, but it's sad to see how her enthusiasm that was so evident, is slipping away with each pathetic loss. I only hope this insidious disease can be cured in time. I know Drs. Herbst and Manuel have the right medicine. Now they simply need the guts to administer it to stop those two festering viruses from destroying us all.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In summary, you'd lost excitement prior to the game, watched another game whose storyline played out all too predictably and, while being a good trooper and not quitting on the team, you're not excited going forward either?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I'll tell you how you average almost 300 yards over two games and score so little. Every time this offense gets to...let's say the other team's 40...by moving the ball almost exclusively through the air, the coaching staff decides to change up the play calling and call a couple runs up the gut. This is presumably done to keep the defense honest. All it really does is set up 3rd and 10. And we can't settle for less than 10 yards because the staff will not go for it on 4th even though pretty much all statistics dictate that they should. So you have defenses dropping back 7 or so guys to the first down marker or deeper and we can't complete a pass.

That is how you start at the 20, gain 40 yards predominantly through the air, and then stall at the 40 consistently.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
In summary, you'd lost excitement prior to the game, watched another game whose storyline played out all too predictably and, while being a good trooper and not quitting on the team, you're not excited going forward either?
Lol find me one UConn football fan that's excited going forward right now. Sad times in East Hartford. But alas we must stick with the program. Fortunately for me, outside of UConn basketball all of my sports teams have done nothing but disappoint me virtually my entire life so I've become accustomed to this feeling of hopelessness.

Reaction Score
Thanks Biz. Some rational analysis there, which I see less of than a run from scrimmage gaining 4 yards.

These guys have asolutely screwed the pooch. We have zero running game - ZERO. Our OL, positions of relative stregnth in this program, is in shambles. Were it not for the terrific and gutsy play of CW at QB we would be UMASS bad on offense. I have not a clue as to what GDL is trying to accomplish with the O and I really don't care anymore. Because when you can't run the ball a lick you do not have play action and defenses know to tee off. USF is a poor defense. Pitt, Louisville and Cincy have respectable defenses. It will be lucky and I am simply hoping for CW to end the season in one piece. McCoombs won't gain 50 yards on the ground in any of those games.

We had some pieces in place this season to have a nice run (defense, QB, receivers) and now we have nothing to show but further regression. P needs to make some bold moves or Warde will need to right after the season.

btw, congratulations to the defense which bounced back marvously.

Reaction Score
Someone needed to make one more play than they did. The easiest thing to point to was Byron Jones dropping an easy pick (I mean easy) at the USF 30 that would have set us up to give us the lead and probably win the game. And the ball was dropped. Now, that's not blaming Byron Jones for the loss -- he played an outstanding game overall -- but when you are struggling to score points and win, that is the difference between winning and losing. Two years ago, we make that play on our run to the Fiesta. Heck, last year Byron Jones makes that play (did make that play, although it was a fumble) on our way to a respectable 3-4 Big East season. This year, the ball is dropped. And we lose.

Correct. The defense played a solid game. Just not spectacular. There was also a ball on the carpet after McDaniel came out that the defense was slow to react on. Could have made a difference.

The offense is very strange. For the second straight week, we threw the ball extremely effectively, and for a lot of yardage. Over the last two games, we've thrown for a total of pushing 600 yards, and have a total of 16 points. How is that possible? Well, first, you have to never have field position, and second, you have to be able, consistently, to have 40 yard drives every time until going back and forth between 0 and 80 yard drives. Your WRs, while playing well, have to never have YAC. Which ours, despite having very good games (at least Smitty, Williams and especially Davis) don't have. And you have to be able to not run a lick. Which we've now mastered. Whitmer will be really good by the time he's done. Davis needs more YAC, but is becoming very good. For all the problems, we should be scoring more. And yet, while we looked better as the game went on, at 7-6 we turned the ball over on three straight drives. Three. And lost again. The only thing I'll say about the play calling -- when you throw it as effectively as we did, throw it. On first down. Consistently. If you keep throwing it on first down, successfully, maybe eventually teams will back off the line of scrimmage and running will be easier.

This may be your finest hour, Biz. The runs into the line on first down, only create second and longs.

So we're 3-6 and riding a 3 game losing streak. We will not go bowling this year. But, with some breaks (which have been in incredibly short supply since the fumbe by Chandler at WMU), I still believe we can win Friday night.

Good post. Hope the company appreciated your hospitality more than the offensive, offense appreciates your loyalty to the program.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Spot on with your post, BL. I'll be at the game Friday night but I'm not as optimistic as you that we can win. Nonetheless, I'll be there to support the kids who I know are working hard (Syracuse game aside). The "life" as been sucked out of me as well. I didn't even commit to our game full-time until after the ND/Pitt OT game was over...and I hate both of those teams! I just wanted to watch an exciting game with potential NC implications play out. I have absolutely zero faith that this team will win another game this season. I think our kids will give a good effort against Pitt but will lose because our coaching staff. Louisville on the road is a disaster waiting to happen. And Cincinnati on Senior Day should be emotional but by then, everybody will just want to end the game as quickly as possible.

You're spot on with your assessments of the offense and defense. Defense did bounce back and play hard and gave the team an opportunity to win the game (again). But we don't have that playmaker that can force a critical turnover and, possibly, take it to the house. We have a solid defense, perhaps the best unit that UConn has ever had, but we don't have that guy capable of turning a game around with a turnover/big play. Our offense moved the ball consistently but, once again, our coaching staff (read: DeLeone) continually puts his unit in positions to fail time after time after time. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why we continue to crush offensive momentum and flow that we have to bring in our wildcat package. 95% of the time, the wildcat package plays result in a loss of yardage and absolutely kills drives. I agree that we need to throw more on 1st and 2nd downs since that's really the only way we've been moving the ball this season. But I do cringe with our swiss cheese OL out there that more passing plays will result in more turnovers (panic throw INTs, strip sacks, or CW getting crushed and the ball comes loose). Screens and quick slants could help slow pass rushes but even then, our OL doesn't seem capable of slowing a determined pass rusher for even a second. Still, we have had ZERO running game this year so it's time to play to the team's strengths, even if it results in turnovers (at this point, we're not going bowling so let's develop the pass game for 2013).

One thing I'd like to see for the rest of the season is more of our second and third team guys (who aren't being redshirted), especially on defense where we're going to lose alot of starters. Let's see what these kids can do, give them a chance to get their feet wet for 2013, and fully assess our team depth charts in live game action against 3 talented teams.

Reaction Score
The only positive that I really took away from the game was the fact that the defense did not quit. After the Cuse game, in which I thought they did in fact quit, I was looking for this more than anything else. So that was good to see.

On the offensive side of the ball, I'm still seeing way too many plays where an OLinemen or the FB do not block or even lay on hand on a defender. I don't know how that happens, but it happens way too much. Is it coaching? Is it the player's fault? Probably a little bit of both. I just cannot wait to flush this toilet and get some new blood running this program next year. At this point, maybe it's time to just make a clean break with everyone. I'd hate to see some guys go (Foley, Day, Hughes) but maybe we just need a new start here.

I'll be there Friday night because we only get 6 or 7 days out the entire year to see home games, and I really like to see live football and tailgate at my alma mater. But I'd be lying if I said I had anywhere near the enthusiasm that I've had in the past. Even last year.

Reaction Score
Why do drives stall out? We have success passing so what do we do? Run a couple of plays up the gut, or go with the Wildcat. Thus, 3rd and longs. If you DVR'd the game, watch USF's defense anytime we brought in the Wildcat. They were lined up FOR the Wildcat! If you want to run the Wildcat, maybe McCummings should be already on the field as a WR/Slot/RB so that you catch the other team off guard. And, at least throw it from the Wildcat to keep the defense off balance.

I recognized that the team that PP inherited lacked a Div 1 QB, RBs, and OL depth, but Whitmer is serviceable and we should have recruited another RB (JUCO?) before this season. The OL problems seem to be at least partially due to change in schemes/coaching.

Think about this. We are worse this year than last year even though we have a better QB, better WRs, more involved TEs. Starting RB is the same. Defense lost talent from last year, and has had devastating DE injuries, yet it has played well and doesn't seem to be a real problem. What does that tell you? OL, coaching and gameplan are the potential problems. All signs point to GDL.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
9 responses to the "The View From Section 241" two days after the game. 9.

If that doesn't tell you apathy has set in the fanbase I don't know what else will. (Well, this and maybe 25,000 in attendance for Pitt and Cincy).

Susan and Warde please take notice - Pasqualoni is killing this program.

Reaction Score
The YAC thing is interesting since we all think the passing game is better this year. Nick Williams made a helluva effort play on the final drive to get a first down, he could have been stopped twice on that play but wouldn't go down. I thought at that point we were going to get it done and then came the d-line tip and pick. Quite often our receivers are falling when they make the catch or are hammered right afterwards. These throws usually are from the hashmarks in. Griffen has had the chance to gain yards after the catch running the seam routes. The wideouts never seem to be behind the defender so that they can take it to the house. This part of the passing game just has not come together. I think JMac threw a better deep ball than Whitmer. Last year Kash had a long TD against Iowa St. I think we had a couple against Cinci (Williams had one). There may have been more. When we were on the 25yd line (at the end of S Florida game) we should have been able to protect enough to run 3 guys into the endzone. On the pick Whitmer was throwing to Davis on a crossing route who would have gotten creamed. It's not like he was running a crossing route had cleared the tackle box and was in the flat, he was in the middle of the field. The sideline throws you usually get shoved out of bounds. I'd like to see what Joe Williams could do with a screen pass or a few running plays even. Put Whitmer in shotgun with Williams, run some read option with Williams carrying 3 to 1 for Whitmer to keep them honest. No need to change things up now according to PP. Not at this point you might confuse the coaches.

Reaction Score
That's a good post. Again, I go to the running game. Safeties can comfortably get into coverage as they need show little respect for our running game. DE's can tee off on their pass rush not needing to hold their edge. I think what CW and the receivers have done given the limitations of the running game and poor pass coverage in general is very good. These guys revamped this offense in such a way that the probability of success was very low given our personnel. imho this is a lot, maybe 80%, to do with coaching. These guys left games on the field last season (see Vandy, WMU) and this season as well. As a result we will not see a bowl for the second consecutive season.

Want a sobering excercise? Count the number of defensive starters that will either be in an NFL draft or a camp. And there are some on offense too (Griffin, Delehunt, Friend, Masters - and don't be surprised if Whitmer turns out to be that good by the time he is done). There was plenty of talent in this program to win 6-8 games each of the last two seasons. Unless you completely ducked up an offense and OL....which is exactly what these clowns did.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Why do drives stall out? We have success passing so what do we do? Run a couple of plays up the gut, or go with the Wildcat. Thus, 3rd and longs. If you DVR'd the game, watch USF's defense anytime we brought in the Wildcat. They were lined up FOR the Wildcat! If you want to run the Wildcat, maybe McCummings should be already on the field as a WR/Slot/RB so that you catch the other team off guard. And, at least throw it from the Wildcat to keep the defense off balance.

I recognized that the team that PP inherited lacked a Div 1 QB, RBs, and OL depth, but Whitmer is serviceable and we should have recruited another RB (JUCO?) before this season. The OL problems seem to be at least partially due to change in schemes/coaching.

Think about this. We are worse this year than last year even though we have a better QB, better WRs, more involved TEs. Starting RB is the same. Defense lost talent from last year, and has had devastating DE injuries, yet it has played well and doesn't seem to be a real problem. What does that tell you? OL, coaching and gameplan are the potential problems. All signs point to GDL.

Ding!

I couldn't bring myself to read the "must find the running game" article in the courant. Ten games in is not the time to start searching for it. We can throw, so let's throw and see what happens assuming CW can survive it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
McCummings hit McCombs in stride behind the DB. Of course, he dropped it. And the OL was flagged again on the play. But nice pass . . . gee maybe he can do it another time. And maybe, on his first snap of the game, not waiting until he has run four or five times to cleaverly set up the surprise pass. GDL has not one clue as to how to utilize the Wildcat.

Reaction Score
9 responses to the "The View From Section 241" two days after the game. 9.

If that doesn't tell you apathy has set in the fanbase I don't know what else will. (Well, this and maybe 25,000 in attendance for Pitt and Cincy).

Susan and Warde please take notice - Pasqualoni is killing this program.

Don't forget the 5 that responded to my spoof view post, so that makes it 14.

Reaction Score
Ding!

I couldn't bring myself to read the "must find the running game" article in the courant. Ten games in is not the time to start searching for it. We can throw, so let's throw and see what happens assuming CW can survive it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

What Pitt., Louisville and Cincy are about to bring in the way of pressure will make USF look like a flag football game. I am seriously concerned for CW. Unless we all of a sudden learn how to throw a screen it could get get Syracuse bad or worse.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine lives in Tampa so I go down a couple of times each Fall to see a BE game. Was at this game and can't disagree with those who find this loss hard to explain. From what I saw UConn was not seriously outplayed in any aspect of the game. Coaching, well that is another thing. From where I sat the UConn sidelines looked like a disorganized mob scene. Granted I am comparing it to the Bama sideline. I go to Tuscaloosa 3-4 times a Fall and under Saban when the O or D come off the field they immediately break up into position groups. Each position coach then gives feedback to not only the players who came off the field but the position reserves as well. From what I saw, UConn did not seem to do this consistently. Reminded me of Bama when Mike Shula was coach. Sometimes it happened and sometimes not. Not to make to much of this but in my mind it indicates a lack of focus during the game on the part of the staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom