The Refs Stole The Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Refs Stole The Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Yeah the problem was the review, if you watch the mens games, there have been many reviews on whether it's a 3 or 2, or after the shot clock. This was a huge mistake as you are playing the game thinking there will be a review and the 2 will be removed and then that doesn't happen. It has nothing to do with any other calls. It is a really sad situation and these finals will be forever questioned.

Reaction Score
One of the saddest episode i witness last night during the game is when the refs gave LA another point. A point by virtue of a technical foul on the Minnesota coach.

The Minnesota coach attempted to call timeout to get her injured player off the court.

SMH - Say it ain't so. That was pathetic!!!

Reaction Score
Yeah the problem was the review, if you watch the mens games, there have been many reviews on whether it's a 3 or 2, or after the shot clock. This was a huge mistake as you are playing the game thinking there will be a review and the 2 will be removed and then that doesn't happen. It has nothing to do with any other calls. It is a really sad situation and these finals will be forever questioned.

My point excatly. Thank you!

People tend to look at the fail 8 seconds call as if the failure to review was needed to make up for the 8 seconds.

So they point to the game in LA looking to JUSTIFY the dung in Minnesota.

All in all the women's game needs better refs period.

But don't you dare give me excuses for last night by pointing to other factors that has nothing to do with damage of the failed review, after acknowledging in advance it needed to be reviewed.

But yet you don't stop the game to do so.

I hit your car from behind because I was driving to close. But had you been going faster and not doing the speed limit it could of been avoided. You deserved it because it happened to me a few days ago.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I complain about WBB both college and WNBA have the worst officiating of any sport! Incompetence is not even strong enough to describe what happens in every game!
One of the main problems are the supervisors evaluating the refs, both in college and the pros are retired refs, that have been working with their "Friends" for over 20 years or so and retire to be the supervisor of a Conference or a league! How do you tell your best friends that they stunk up the court and embarrassed themselves in that game by making horrible calls?
Another problem especially in college is the refs work 5 to 6 games a week all over 1/2 the country, with air travel, hotels, meals, plus the games themselves! It has to take a lot out of 30 to 50 year old refs both mentally and physically!
Although I'm not sure it is quite as bad as you say (it isn't good, I agree), and I don't really have an issue with who reviews them (it isn't always "retired" refs and it isn't always ex "refs", although it can be). But your last point is extremely well taken. And 50 is being charitable at the top end. Some are pushing 60, for sure.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
217734.jpg
217734.jpg

Reaction Score
From the WNBA site:

October 21, 2016

NEW YORK, Oct. 21, 2016 – Renee Brown, WNBA Chief of Basketball Operations and Player Relations, issued the following statement today regarding a play late in the fourth quarter of the Los Angeles Sparks’ 77-76 win over the Minnesota Lynx on Thursday at Target Center:

“After reviewing postgame video, we have determined that Nneka Ogwumike’s shot with 1:14 remaining in regulation time should not have counted due to a shot-clock violation, and that the referees improperly failed to review the play under the instant replay rules.”

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
From the WNBA site:

October 21, 2016

NEW YORK, Oct. 21, 2016 – Renee Brown, WNBA Chief of Basketball Operations and Player Relations, issued the following statement today regarding a play late in the fourth quarter of the Los Angeles Sparks’ 77-76 win over the Minnesota Lynx on Thursday at Target Center:

“After reviewing postgame video, we have determined that Nneka Ogwumike’s shot with 1:14 remaining in regulation time should not have counted due to a shot-clock violation, and that the referees improperly failed to review the play under the instant replay rules.”

So they admit the refs stole the game. That's nice - "Our Bad, oh well" - Idiots.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's over and done with. At some point you have to accept that things won't change and you just have to accept that poor officiating is still part of the game.

After the Louisville game Baylor fans were told to suck it up, that bad officiating is part of the game and that you have to know how to win despite poor officiating. Kim Mulkey and Brittney Griner were deemed as failures for not winning that game. It doesn't seem that the same rule applies to Reeve and the Minnesota players.

Reaction Score
After the Louisville game Baylor fans were told to suck it up, that bad officiating is part of the game and that you have to know how to win despite poor officiating. Kim Mulkey and Brittney Griner were deemed as failures for not winning that game. It doesn't seem that the same rule applies to Reeve and the Minnesota players.
No that was the NCAA rule, this is the WNBA rule. :p

Plus the dislike for Candace here is order-of-magnitude greater than it ever was for Brittney.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
did we want Maya to win another title it that bad or just didn't want CP3 to win one.

the Lynx screwed up when they lost game one, bottom line!

They had their opportunities in this game 5 also, but couldn't seal the deal. Rebound and game over. Make both free throws (Brunson) and game is tied. Brian Agler said it best after LA lost in game 4. He said, "champions don't make excuses." Reeves could learn from this and not taint the WNBA with her comments during that moment. Address it post season, but don't make it the story of the WNBA Game 5. It was a self serving moment for her, but I'm not surprised. Lisa Leslie said it comes off as being a sore loser and yes, it does.

She didn't throw a fit last season when they won against Phoenix on a horrible call. She didn't throw a fit when the 8 second call was missed and they won. She didn't throw a fit when the Sparks had 16 fouls to only 9 for the Lynx. She didn't have a problem with LA having 2 of their best offensive weapons in Nneka and Toliver riding the bench.

Reaction Score
They had their opportunities in this game 5 also, but couldn't seal the deal. Rebound and game over. Make both free throws (Brunson) and game is tied. Brian Agler said it best after LA lost in game 4. He said, "champions don't make excuses." Reeves could learn from this and not taint the WNBA with her comments during that moment. Address it post season, but don't make it the story of the WNBA Game 5. It was a self serving moment for her, but I'm not surprised. Lisa Leslie said it comes off as being a sore loser and yes, it does.

She didn't throw a fit last season when they won against Phoenix on a horrible call. She didn't throw a fit when the 8 second call was missed and they won. She didn't throw a fit when the Sparks had 16 fouls to only 9 for the Lynx. She didn't have a problem with LA having 2 of their best offensive weapons in Nneka and Toliver riding the bench.

They had a greater opportunity before the game was stolen. The other opportunities is mute.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
They had a greater opportunity before the game was stolen. The other opportunities is mute.

Did I miss it when they gave back game 4 or perhaps I missed it last year when they gave back the deciding game against Phoenix. They already had plenty of gifts. The league MVP couldn't stay on the court with all those fouls the refs gave her. Heck, they tried to wrap that game up in a bow and give it to Minny, but they just refused to take it.

Reaction Score

those things didnt cost her a championship, coach Agler would be singing a different tune if something similar cost him game five. I think anyone would, rightfully so. The sparks are the champs! but there should be some kind of punishment for the refs. Apologies just arent enough in this case. I think then people will feel a little better that they are held accountable.

Reaction Score
Did I miss it when they gave back game 4 or perhaps I missed it last year when they gave back the deciding game against Phoenix. They already had plenty of gifts. The league MVP couldn't stay on the court with all those fouls the refs gave her. Heck, they tried to wrap that game up in a bow and give it to Minny, but they just refused to take it.

The back court violation didn't make or break the game. The Lynx still would've won by 3. This game was different because it was a tied game until they counted that shot that shouldn't of counted..

Reaction Score
Whenever folks use language along the lines of, "the refs stole the game," I am reminded of Notre Dame fans. 'Tis the classic losers' lament. Sure, the refs can play a part, as do turnovers, missed shots, etc. The Lynx don't have any excuses. Congrats to L.A. on a gritty performance!

It isn't just ND WBB/MBB fans that use that comment--In the past I used that liberally when referring to the REF at ND--- It was so bad and so often my wife wrote to the pope to protest--higher intervention..

Reaction Score
From the WNBA site:

October 21, 2016

Status Quo prevails.

Reaction Score
I cannot comprehend after reading Renee Brown, Chief of Basketball Operations of the WNBA post-game statement, "after viewing the tape of Nneka Oguwmike's shot at 1:14 remaining in regulation time should not have counted due to a shot-clock violation, and that the refereess improperly failed to review the play under the instant replay rules!"
She should have added, "making the final score: Linx 76 and Sparks 75, so the League has no other choice but to vacate the Sparks victory and award the Title to the MN Linx!" " This is not a shining moment for the WNBA but it is the right thing to do!"
Instead the League embarrassed itself and let a monumental error stand!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Renee Brown, Chief of Basketball Operations of the WNBA post-game statement, "after viewing the tape of Nneka Oguwmike's shot at 1:14 remaining in regulation time should not have counted due to a shot-clock violation, and that the refereess improperly failed to review the play under the instant replay rules!"
She should have added: The final score stands because the Lynx had ample opportunity to secure a victory by simply securing a defensive rebound.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Minnesota coach Cheryl Reeve was livid in her postgame news conference following her team's loss to Los Angeles in the decisive Game 5 of the WNBA Finals on Thursday night.

After congratulating the Sparks for winning the WNBA championship with a 77-76 victory over the Lynx, Reeve lit into the officiating.

"It's really unfortunate that players continually put themselves out there, playing and competing at a really high level," Reeve said. "Whether it was the 8-second call in L.A. or the game today, doesn't matter, OK? The game today, it's not fair to the players. It's not enough just to apologize or send out a memo that they got something wrong, OK? These players are so invested, and something must be done about the officiating in this league because it's not fair to these great players we have

What Reeve should be doing is some self examination to figure out how she and her staff can have arguably the most talented team in WNBA history with the greatest player in the world and not blow LA's doors off. You have four players who were part of the USA Olympic team and you can't bring home a title? The call was missed but this was not the only play in the game and EVERY play had an impact of the eventual outcome. The BIGGEST play of the game was when Nneka ran in unfettered, grabbed a rebound and put up the winning shot. THAT, my friends, was the biggest play of the game but it will get overshadowed, to some, by the one second on that one possession, which, by the way, also involved Nneka making a play.

Reaction Score
And if you want to look at it this other way.........
The refs at 1:14 DID REVIEW Nneka's shot and deemed it a shot-clock violation and taken the 2 points off the scoreboard and everything played out as it did, the game would have ended Linx 76 and Sparks 75! And everyone would have accepted the outcome, LA would have been crushed and disappointed and MN would have been thrilled AND NOBODY WOULD HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING BECAUSE IT FOLLOWED LEAGUE RULES!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I cannot comprehend after reading Renee Brown, Chief of Basketball Operations of the WNBA post-game statement, "after viewing the tape of Nneka Oguwmike's shot at 1:14 remaining in regulation time should not have counted due to a shot-clock violation, and that the refereess improperly failed to review the play under the instant replay rules!"
She should have added, "making the final score: Linx 76 and Sparks 75, so the League has no other choice but to vacate the Sparks victory and award the Title to the MN Linx!" " This is not a shining moment for the WNBA but it is the right thing to do!"
Instead the League embarrassed itself and let a monumental error stand!

No, they should put the players back on the court and let them play from the 1:14 mark, thus deciding the outcome based on the score and time from that point forward. Had the shot been correctly called as after the shot clock, LA's game plan would have been different and the entire rest of the game would have looked completely different.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And if you want to look at it this other way....
The refs at 1:14 DID REVIEW Nneka's shot and deemed it a shot-clock violation and taken the 2 points off the scoreboard and everything played out as it did, the game would have ended Linx 76 and Sparks 75! And everyone would have accepted the outcome, LA would have been crushed and disappointed and MN would have been thrilled AND NOBODY WOULD HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING BECAUSE IT FOLLOWED LEAGUE RULES!

Therein lies the flaw in this argument. The game would not have played out as it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom