The Refs Stole The Game | The Boneyard

The Refs Stole The Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
And, in the last game, near the end of the game, the refs failed to call an 8 second backcourt violation against Minnesota. Fun game to watch. Some great shots were made by both teams.

It's one thing to just plain miss a call, but to see it needed to be reviewed "signal for it" and not get it done is unbelieveable. How do they not stop the game there to get it called correctly?

Reaction Score
the refs missed a much easier call in game 4. all they had to do was count to 8 for a back court violation. that allowed 2 points and greatly impacted the end of that game. the shot clock violation tonight was a much harder call. both teams had chances to win with bad calls going on. the sparks ended up prevailing. i have to say i am very very happy for parker. she has had a ROUGH year with losing Pat, which was much harder on her than the olympic snub. glad to see her really smile and mean it. it's been awhile.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow, what an entertaining game! Obviously the shot clock violation that wasn't called was awful and definitely could have had an impact on the outcome of the game. Controversial ending, similar to game 4 but opposite team this time.

Candace was outstanding, I was really happy to see her win one playing at her best. If she plays that hard every night, they could have swept. She was so aggressive and was dominant tonight. When she turns on the jets like that, I don't think there's a better player in the world. Defensively she did a great job tonight and really put everything out there.

Moore was exceptional for Minnesota and nearly won it for them. Tough pill to swallow finishing like that, but she was outstanding tonight. She has that killer instinct of being able to take over down the stretch. Nneka just beat them to a board.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
the refs missed a much easier call in game 4. all they had to do was count to 8 for a back court violation. that allowed 2 points and greatly impacted the end of that game. the shot clock violation tonight was a much harder call. both teams had chances to win with bad calls going on. the sparks ended up prevailing. i have to say i am very very happy for parker. she has had a ROUGH year with losing Pat, which was much harder on her than the olympic snub. glad to see her really smile and mean it. it's been awhile.

Calls are missed all the time. We all know that but to call for a review and not get it done takes it to a different level. That's outrageous.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I was rooting for the Lynx (shocker) and was not surprised to see that most of the focus has so far been on the non-reviewed shot by Nneka -

However

My first response is that this was a titanic battle that saw both teams leave it all out there , with incredible shots down the stretch, a huge comeback, and the kind of real excitement that "regular" sports fans expect at the pro level. Things were sloppy at times but I was proud of both squads for what they showed tonight. Gut-checks were everywhere, and everybody was responding.

There were any number of tty calls tonight, but like the missed 8-second violation the other night, it's the last big (blown) call that gets the attention. This game and this series still could have gone either way, bottom line. Happy for Nneka and Beard, especially, and --- putting on the flame suit -- I'm happy for Candace Parker, too. All of what happened tonight, ref's mistakes included, are part of the game. On balance, it was a game and a series that will be remembered--or at least should be remembered--for a long time, for good reasons.

YMMV

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
I think during the last 2 minutes of a game you can't review to see if a shot was after the time expired unless you check it right away. It impacts the way the game is played too much and late game strategy. There should have been a stoppage in play right after the basket so they could review. I'm not sure if it was up to the refs to stop play or if MN should have taken a timeout but either way the time for review was right after the basket.

Also the missed backcourt violation on MN during game 4 was just as bad. It took away any chance LA had to win and the refs should have been able to count to 8.

Reaction Score
As a huge WNBA fan, I am always advocating and hoping the WNBA can tap into mass media markets. The product on the floor seems to be improving, evidenced by the performance these two teams displayed in the finals. I think and hope that this competitive finals series, big crowds, and exciting finishes will bring attention to the league. However in order to be considered legitimate, the WNBA needs to be putting a similar product on the floor comparable to the nba. Beyond continuing to develop talented players, the league neeeds to develop refs who can adequately officiate the games. You would never see a call like that be missed in the NBA, especially in a decisive game 5 (or 7 for the NBA). Two huge missed calls in both games really downgrades the legitimacy of the WNBA. The league will never gain substantial growth in popularity until its product is competitive. That goes beyond just the players that step on the hardwood.

For arguments sake, just imagine the difference in the game when you take two points off the board in the final 90 seconds. That's a much more tangible missed call compared to a what if possession gain by the 8 second call. Regardless, there is no excuse for missing calls like these.

Reaction Score
refs blow the games all the time in the mens' game and we know they are awful in the NCAA. sad fact of life as a fan.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I think during the last 2 minutes of a game you can't review to see if a shot was after the time expired unless you check it right away. It impacts the way the game is played too much and late game strategy. There should have been a stoppage in play right after the basket so they could review. I'm not sure if it was up to the refs to stop play or if MN should have taken a timeout but either way the time for review was right after the basket.

Also the missed backcourt violation on MN during game 4 was just as bad. It took away any chance LA had to win and the refs should have been able to count to 8.

It wasn't just as bad. That was posession this was POINTS. Plus this was a known and noticed possible clock shot violation signalled for review that should have brought an immediate whistle for stoppage and review.

Reaction Score

This from a vol? Not suprise. It was under a minute left. Again. Let us say it again.

You do not signal for a review and don't review!

So all that babbling about this and that and the last game to justify your point is for notthing.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
It wasn't just as bad. That was posession this was POINTS. Plus this was a known and noticed possible clock shot violation signalled for review that should have brought an immediate whistle for stoppage and review.
MN scored 2 points on a Parker foul right after that backcourt violation that wasn't called. All the LA players, bench, and fans new it was a backcourt violation but it couldn't be reviewed. Those 2 free throws shouldn't have counted and they put the game out of reach.

Reaction Score
Refs miss calls...unfortunately it happens. One play does not cost a team a game. Those 14 plays where Minny gave up offensive rebounds probably had a bigger impact.

The problem is....the refs are totally inept in all stages of calling the games. The women's game has evolved so much, but the officials have not shown the same progress. Thus, it makes true fans bitter and new fans think the league is a joke.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The problem is....the refs are totally inept in all stages of calling the games. The women's game has evolved so much, but the officials have not shown the same progress. Thus, it makes true fans bitter and new fans think the league is a joke.

This is a problem in women's basketball across the board. The players have gotten bigger and faster and the refs simply have not made the same advances that the players have. I don't want to watch a game and have players get called for such little contact, especially the post players. Let the women play the game. This is not the days of half-court, six-on-six, basketball.

Reaction Score
Refs miss calls...unfortunately it happens. One play does not cost a team a game. Those 14 plays where Minny gave up offensive rebounds probably had a bigger impact.

Sorry. But that one play cost that team the game. Don't know which game you were watching. But that one play happen under a minute left.

That would have put the lynx up 2 points with under 50 seconds.

So tell me again. What game was you watching?

"One play don't cost you the game?" like hell it don't.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute guys! This has to be resolved! If MN has any brains at all they file a protest with the League! Whether it was reviewed immediately or 12 hours later it makes a difference in who is WNBA Champions!
The Linx were ahead Nneka makes a basket that looked after the shotclock hit :00 as they turned to go downcourt the ref near the scorers table signals for a review, why WASN"T it reviewed? And whether it was not reviewed before the next play was run THE REVIEW was called for, so it HAD TO BE REVIEWED SOMETIME!
Even after the game the refs had to go to the table and resolve whether the shot was before or after the:00!
The WNBA CANNOT have a rule that says if it's not reviewed immediately it's unreviewable!
Maybe the shot WAS in time and that makes the Sparks the Champions or it was after the :00 and MN wins the Championship!
I cannot believe the League will let this stay and just say they didn't review it, game over, LA wins!
How does the Linx lose on a ref mistake!
I am so pi--ed! I was rooting for the Linx but if the review showed the shot was good then congrats to LA, great game, but to me right now MN is the WNBA Champions!

Reaction Score
If the ref DIDN'T signal for the review and play continued I can understand no review! But clearly he signaled for the play to be reviewed so it HAD TO BE REVIEWED AT SOMETIME!

Reaction Score
There is a simple explanation to why they didn't review the play. It was even pointed out by Lobo. The shot clock didn't reset after Beards rebound. That made it obvious that the Spars were working with a short time clock on that play/. It was therfore easy for them to surmise that since the shot was taken at the end of a short clock it was taken within the alloted time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom