The Real narrative: we are the matchup problem | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Real narrative: we are the matchup problem

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Right. Purdue's guards are good, but small. UConn is the first team they'll have played that truly matches them up size-wise to give them problems on both sides of the ball.
I sometimes think commentators just need a new angle, because this relative size thing can go either way. We heard so much about the size of our guards all through the 2014 tournament, as though it was going to kill us. Our guards dominated that tournament. An exception, maybe, but when you're good enough I'm not sure relative height matters as much as we think.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I found the idea a bit humorous that because they have a three man backcourt that can match the size of our three man backcourt, it could be a problem for us. Wouldn't it also be the case that because our three man backcourt can match the size of their three man backcourt, it could be a problem for them?

View attachment 98439
It could well be that they match the size of our backcourt but our backcourt has an All American stat sheet stuffer and MVP of last years NC title game, the number one offensive player in college ball this year and a lottery pick tough as nails lockdown defender who was Big East rookie of the year. Looking forward to just how well they "match" our backcourt tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
We're blowing teams out and aren't playing well. If we have a B/B- game and a good opponent is on fire Creighton style, we can lose.
Right. I never said we couldn't lose. It seems that sometimes the narrative is that we have an unfavorable matchup. I agree with @Inyatkin that commentators need an angle, but I believe that the fanbase looks at the negative to soften the blow if a loss comes, but we pass the hedging off as "mojo". My friend, for instance, comically never says anything good about his teams because he fears that he will be trashed if they lose. Instead, if they lose, he can at least say he called it, so that will be 'one little victory'

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Their game last night reminded me of a upper middle BE game, a battle of attrition won by the team that sucked less. Unless my eyes are too starry, about 18 hours ago SDSU was a matchup problem for us too. We still haven't played our best game, not by a long shot. If you had access to both locker rooms for tomorrow's tip, who do you think would be more worried about who?
It's do or die for them, for us it's just the next step.

Reaction Score
Commentators have to make it a game in buildup, but I expect a battle with them, especially if they’re making 3s and we are not. I want to keep at 37% or better.

Reaction Score
Illinois is 2-3 against the top 25. As usual, as long as Clingan stays out of foul trouble all will go well.

Reaction Score
I get nervous before every game no matter who we are playing. At this stage of the season, everyone is good. Everyone is a tough out. If you don't approach it that way you'll be toast.
Who has been a tough out for UConn in the Tourney these past 2 years?

Nobody.

This is the point.

Not that we can't lose. Of course we can. But we as a fanbase are so emotionally scared of the pain of losing, especially when you expect to win, that we find it easier to ignore facts and brace for the worst.

It's even more interesting that the staff and players take a way more confident approach than us couch potatoes do. No right or wrong here, I have felt the same as you for my whole life, but I'm gonna try going into this next one feeling like we are the "tougher out"

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Before every tourney game there are a bunch of us who like to say why the future opponent is gonna pose a problem for UConn. However, a team hasn't posed a problem for UConn yet. DH is overly confident. Jay Wright, Seth Greenberg, Jay bilas, Kenny Smith, Barkley, SVG, Mick Cronin, Mark Few etc. etc. are all in awe of this team. The narrative is "how do you beat this UConn team?"

Why do we have to hedge our feelings by imagining ways we can lose to the next team? When do we get to enjoy being the best team in ncaa bball? After the tourney? Illinois is a really good team, but they're not entering the game as a favorite.

Let's be respectful, good sportsmen, but let's show some guts: WE are the matchup problem for THEM.

Um because we CAN lose the next game, no matter who it is?

Of course we are the matchup problem. Empirically we are the biggest matchup problem in all of college basketball this year and that is in a sport that has a 7 foot 4 inch 2 time national player of the year to try and matchup up with. We are an even tougher matchup than that.

So what? Why is this mutually exclusive? Just because we are a nightmare matchup problem for the rest of the NCAA doesn't mean that each team we face doesn't or will not pose their own unique set of issues we need to address.

Im sure glad the coaching staff "emotionally hedges" our matchups and doesn't just roll the ball out there and say "deal with it"

August_West

Reaction Score
Who has been a tough out for UConn in the Tourney these past 2 years?

Nobody.

This is the point.

Not that we can't lose. Of course we can. But we as a fanbase are so emotionally scared of the pain of losing, especially when you expect to win, that we find it easier to ignore facts and brace for the worst.

It's even more interesting that the staff and players take a way more confident approach than us couch potatoes do. No right or wrong here, I have felt the same as you for my whole life, but I'm gonna try going into this next one feeling like we are the "tougher out"

Wait, you don't think that Coaches discuss ways to mimimize the impact of LeDee, and aren't doing the same now with Shannon?

Reaction Score
Um because we CAN lose the next game, no matter who it is?

Of course we are the matchup problem. Empirically we are the biggest matchup problem in all of college basketball this year and that is in a sport that has a 7 foot 4 inch 2 time national player of the year to try and matchup up with. We are an even tougher matchup than that.

So what? Why is this mutually exclusive? Just because we are a nightmare matchup problem for the rest of the NCAA doesn't mean that each team we face doesn't or will not pose their own unique set of issues we need to address.

Im sure glad the coaching staff "emotionally hedges" our matchups and doesn't just roll the ball out there and say "deal with it"
Of course we can lose these games. That's never been debated. But let's compare the staff's words to the fans words (this is my point, not that the team should physically mail it in):

• If a BYer ever called us "bulletproof" they'd be doomed and hanged by the entire board.
  • the staff will be prepared for everybody. That's not the question. But they need to have the mentality that they won't lose. And that's the mentality they play by. Yeah, we have our Bai water and Hurley's underwear, but that's all superstition.
  • fan bases fear losing worse than the players sometimes, it seems.
We feel this fear because we can do nothing about it as fans. We don't play. It's the nature of fear itself. We fear what we can't control so we brace for the worst. We shouldn't.
I know that you're a musician, so am I. When we hit the stage we have to think we are gonna crush it: not, "I hope I don't screw up". Of course we prepare, but we expect greatness, if we're great. Fans who watch us think "how can they get up there and do that in front of all those people?", well, that's why we're up here and they're out there.

Truth is: if we as fans spoke like the staff and the players do, we'd really earn that arrogant and spoiled tag. And I think we should. Because this team is historically nasty!!

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Everybody here already thinks that.

Everyone here is very confident. Also everyone here has repeatedly seen the presumptive favorite lose. If you want to think we're a 100% lock, go ahead. I have more optimism than I've ever had in a tournament but I'm still trying to be realistic that we've got to beat 3 good teams.
I'm actually more nervous than I've been in a while. This coronation thing is killing me.

Season 8 Episode 22 GIF by THE NEXT STEP

Reaction Score
Before every tourney game there are a bunch of us who like to say why the future opponent is gonna pose a problem for UConn. However, a team hasn't posed a problem for UConn yet. DH is overly confident. Jay Wright, Seth Greenberg, Jay bilas, Kenny Smith, Barkley, SVG, Mick Cronin, Mark Few etc. etc. are all in awe of this team. The narrative is "how do you beat this UConn team?"

Why do we have to hedge our feelings by imagining ways we can lose to the next team? When do we get to enjoy being the best team in ncaa bball? After the tourney? Illinois is a really good team, but they're not entering the game as a favorite.

Let's be respectful, good sportsmen, but let's show some guts: WE are the matchup problem for THEM.
You and Matt Foley agree........

Reaction Score
I found the idea a bit humorous that because they have a three man backcourt that can match the size of our three man backcourt, it could be a problem for us. Wouldn't it also be the case that because our three man backcourt can match the size of their three man backcourt, it could be a problem for them?

View attachment 98439
logic has no place here...........

Reaction Score
Agreed, I've been saying all year if we're healthy and Clingan stays on the court we aren't losing on a neutral court. Not exactly going out on a limb considering this team hasn't lost on a neutral court in two seasons and we've wrecked the field by an average of 23 points in the tournament over two NCAA tournaments.

It will take injury or Clingan being plagued by foul trouble early on for anyone to have a chance of beating us. With this team they'll most likely find a way to even overcome that

I'm enjoying the hell out of it, this is an all-time great college team and we're probably witnessing the best two year run in the modern era.
For some of us who remember UConn's pre-Big East days, it's hard to accept what may be the reality of today.............

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I posted a few times during the first couple rounds that I had to be viewing false Intel. I watched a lot of the games and I feared what I was seeing, which was that none of the schools were going to be what I had anticipated.

Anyway, doomed. Always doomed, but that seems to work out for us.

Reaction Score
Wait, you don't think that Coaches discuss ways to mimimize the impact of LeDee, and aren't doing the same now with Shannon?
Yes they do. This doesn't have anything to do with the coaching staff preparation. We all know what that is like.
It's about the fan hesitancy to have a "bring all comers" mentality. Not all of us, but I've seen more worry than confidence. I believe you yourself wrote "Mr Buie meet Mr Castle" before the NWestern game. we should all have the luxury to talk like that right now instead of ""they beat purdue and illinois" or "we don't really play well against 5 out" . It's just a nervous attitude that is not in line with how things have gone so far.
I sometimes rewatch the David Tyree catch thinking that maybe this time he'll drop it. He never does.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yes they do. This doesn't have anything to do with the coaching staff preparation. We all know what that is like.
It's about the fan hesitancy to have a "bring all comers" mentality. Not all of us, but I've seen more worry than confidence. I believe you yourself wrote "Mr Buie meet Mr Castle" before the NWestern game. we should all have the luxury to talk like that right now instead of ""they beat purdue and illinois" or "we don't really play well against 5 out" . It's just a nervous attitude that is not in line with how things have gone so far.
I sometimes rewatch the David Tyree catch thinking that maybe this time he'll drop it. He never does.
I guess I’m failing to understand why discussing matchups means that “ bring all comers isn’t embraced”. I don’t see it, but even if it is there in a small way it’s born of the fact that our final goal is to win titles, not entertain. You sound like someone who wants ( hypothetical) Purdue in the title game for some crazy reason . I do not. And it’s not because I’m scared of Purdue. I’m not. My goal is to win titles , whatever aids me to achieve that end I root like hell for, including other contenders getting knocked out. Again, not scared. Just focused on the goal.

I’ll close with the fact that in trying to understand this thread ( because I like swinging my schlong as much as anyone, and I guess that is the point of this thread?) That this being the boneyard, it is ( whether one subscribes to mojo or not) pretty much ground zero for UConn fans to aggregate and live by the credo “ if you think your actions reflect the results, it probably does” . For the students and younger fans on the site now? I love it! You guys are awesome ! But keep in mind we’ve come up with a formula for the last 25 years that works on this beautiful disaster of a site! You can’t argue with results.

So if a post can be construed as “ screwing with the mojo “ it’s at best going to be indifferent and at worst a scalitoshow. ( see what I did there?)

I’d recommend that like me (and others) you have a twitter burner, unzip, and let your junk fly all over ncaa college basketball fanbases. And on the boneyard talk hoops , share the love, and refrain from spitting in the face of the mojo gods. :)

After all, we are only halfway to finishing the job. Hop on board!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well written. We have a literate fan base, that's for sure. Btw, unzipping is what gave me that damn 'twitter burner' in the first place. Cancun

Reaction Score
I posted a few times during the first couple rounds that I had to be viewing false Intel. I watched a lot of the games and I feared what I was seeing, which was that none of the schools were going to be what I had anticipated.

No longer doomed. We’re the best team in the country and that seems to work out for us.

Fixed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom