The Real Measure of Purvis's Character | The Boneyard

The Real Measure of Purvis's Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

How lucky are we to have a young man like this representing our university? I know that Purvis has gotten a few threads like this before, but I felt that this story deserved to be passed on. Such an outstanding person. This is what being a Husky is all about.

Reaction Score
The real measure of your mastery of English grammar is your correct use of "Purvis's"

But seriously, that is some beautiful stuff.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Never met Rodney but he has been a great teammate and a great team first player.

He drives some of us crazy with some on court choices but I don't doubt his heart being in the right place.

He has taken a positive attitude towards coming off the bench.

The above story fits right in line with his life choices.

Well done Mr. Purvis. The character development that led you to helping the young kid will serve you well throughout life.

Reaction Score
The real measure of your mastery of English grammar is your correct use of "Purvis's"

But seriously, that is some beautiful stuff.

Sorry. Hate to be the grammar police. But no. That's not correct. The possessive form of a proper pronoun is Purvis'.

And without question, Rodney seems to truly be a great kid. One of my all time favorites.

Reaction Score
Sorry. Hate to be the grammar police. But no. That's not correct. The possessive form of a proper pronoun is Purvis'.

And without question, Rodney seems to truly be a great kid. One of my all time favorites.
http://www.proofreadnow.com/blog/bid/84201/Possessives-Proper-Nouns

"General Rule: The possessive of singular nouns is formed by the addition of an apostrophe and an s, and the possessive of plural nouns (except for a few irregular plurals) by the addition of an apostrophe only. The general rule for the possessive of nouns covers most proper nouns, including most names ending in sibilants (a definite "es" or "ez" sound):
  • Kansas's
  • Texas's
  • Dickens's novels
  • Ross's land
For names ending in silent s, z, or x the possessive, unlike the plural, can generally be formed in the usual way without suggesting an incorrect pronunciation:
  • Descartes's works
  • Vaucouleurs's theorems
"

*pats on head* run along now

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

"General Rule: The possessive of singular nouns is formed by the addition of an apostrophe and an s, and the possessive of plural nouns (except for a few irregular plurals) by the addition of an apostrophe only. The general rule for the possessive of nouns covers most proper nouns, including most names ending in sibilants (a definite "es" or "ez" sound):
  • Kansas's
  • Texas's
  • Dickens's novels
  • Ross's land
For names ending in silent s, z, or x the possessive, unlike the plural, can generally be formed in the usual way without suggesting an incorrect pronunciation:
  • Descartes's works
  • Vaucouleurs's theorems
"

really had to hijack the thread to make it all about you?

Reaction Score
I think, since he's inventing a new category of words, maybe he can make the rules too.
Yeah, right? Like we were even talking about pronouns LMAOOOO

Oh excuse me *pronoun's*

Reaction Score

• Kansas's
  • Texas's
  • Dickens's novels
  • Ross's land
  • Descartes's works
  • Vaucouleurs's theorems
"

Haha. You went to Google grammar school. I've been a professional journalists for 25 years. We use AP style. Here's the rule:
AP Style Guidelines: SINGULAR PROPER NAMES ENDING IN S: Use only an apostrophe: Achilles’ heel, Agnes’ book, Ceres’ rites, Descartes’ theories, Dickens’ novels, Euripides’ dramas, Hercules’ labors, Jesus’ life, Jules’ seat, Kansas’ schools, Moses’ law, Socrates’ life, Tennessee Williams’ plays, Xerxes’ armies

And ok. I have no idea how I came up with the "proper pronoun" bit. I meant proper names. I think it was the beyonce effect. Anyway, I'm sorry this is about grammar. I really do like Rodney.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a style guide thing, and last time I checked the Boneyard doesn't have a style guide we are beholden to. So... either is acceptable depending on who wants to tell you how to present stuff, which makes your correction a silly one.

And before you come back and say Rock started it, he already said (and it seemed pretty clear) that he was being tongue-in-cheek anyway.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
All I know is that I've been using s' for the possessive of nouns ending in s since fourth grade (about 45 years ago).

PS- Great job by Rodney!

Reaction Score
Haha. You went to Google grammar school. I've been a professional journalists for 25 years. We use AP style. Here's the rule:
AP Style Guidelines: SINGULAR PROPER NAMES ENDING IN S: Use only an apostrophe: Achilles’ heel, Agnes’ book, Ceres’ rites, Descartes’ theories, Dickens’ novels, Euripides’ dramas, Hercules’ labors, Jesus’ life, Jules’ seat, Kansas’ schools, Moses’ law, Socrates’ life, Tennessee Williams’ plays, Xerxes’ armies

And ok. I have no idea how I came up with the "proper pronoun" bit. I meant proper names. I think it was the beyonce effect. Anyway, I'm sorry this is about grammar. I really do like Rodney.
Ah, gotcha. I have definitely not been educated in AP. I'm more used to APA in medical journals that I'm used to, in which "Dickens'" is noted as "acceptable" but "Dickens's" is the more traditional

Reaction Score
A true feel good story.

Rodney accepting his new role is why I'm excited for what this team can do in the tournament. There is no question were a better team with the 2 points on the floor. It's only possible cause this kid has been a good teammate about it. I feel like he could spell the 1, 2, and 3, spots for 5 minutes each half and help keep everyone fresh while contributing big time.

Reaction Score
English is a fine major, you learn some good stuff, but if you want to make a living and not go to school forever get an Electrical Engineering degree. We could give too ** about grammar and speling

Reaction Score
English is a fine major, you learn some good stuff, but if you want to make a living and not go to school forever get an Electrical Engineering degree. We could give too ** about grammar and speling
Please tell me (or imply through a like) that was intentional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger