The Princess Bride | The Boneyard

The Princess Bride

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm listening to Cary Elwes' book "As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride" on Audible during my commute this week - I recommend it if you're a fan of the movie.

It's a fast listen at just under eight hours and it's entertaining with Elwes' narration with cut-aways to the various other players - Reiner, his producer, Wright, Sarandon, Patinkin, Guest, Crystal, Kane and even Bill Goldman.

I'm not all the way through, but I'm past the part of how they cast the movie and how specific they were in targeting some of the actors such as Elwes who was hardly well known at the time. (And, oddly, Andre the Giant who Goldman desperately wanted even though he barely read English and wasn't an actor.)

But it got me to thinking....how many movies are made where the casting is that flawless?

The casting in the movie was just perfect and I think that's one of the reasons why it's held up so well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But it got me to thinking....how many movies are made where the casting is that flawless?
Breakfast Club. Not sure who else could have played those parts. Maybe you could have replaced Estevez, but not anyone else.

Reaction Score
I thought the movie Misery was cast perfectly. Having read the book, Cathy Bates was exactly how I pictured the lead character looking and acting. I can't imagine anyone else playing that part. And of course it's hard to go wrong with James Caan.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Vizzini is the only character that doesn't quite fit the book's description. Wallace Shawn is funny in the role, however, and imagining anyone else playing it now is "inconceivable."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CL82 said:
Vizzini is the only character that doesn't quite fit the book's description. Wallace Shawn is funny in the role, however, and imagining anyone else playing it now is "inconceivable."

I think Wallace is perfect. The voice and the idea that this guy thinks so much of himself. Imagine it with a John Cleese or Michael Palin, for example, and it would still work but not quite as good.

The only real duds are Robin Wright and the guy who played the prince.

Reaction Score
The Usual Suspects is perfectly cast.

I also thought that Pleasantville was cast very well although it is a diverse group from all over the map.

The best single piece of casting in recent years was Robert Downey Junior as Tony Stark. I knew that was perfect before I ever saw the movie.

Reaction Score
I'd argue that Andre the Giant's regular job involved a fair amount of acting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Not quite responsive to this, but I saw Chef last weekend and wouldn't call the casting flawless, but I gotta give Favreau props for casting Sophia Vergara as his ex and Scarlett Johansson as his somewhat romantic interest. Granted, it made the movie entirely unrealistic for that very reason, but hey, if you can cast those women in your movie and make them your love interests, you do it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fishy said:
I'm listening to Cary Elwes' book "As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride" on Audible during my commute this week - I recommend it if you're a fan of the movie. It's a fast listen at just under eight hours and it's entertaining with Elwes' narration with cut-aways to the various other players - Reiner, his producer, Wright, Sarandon, Patinkin, Guest, Crystal, Kane and even Bill Goldman. I'm not all the way through, but I'm past the part of how they cast the movie and how specific they were in targeting some of the actors such as Elwes who was hardly well known at the time. (And, oddly, Andre the Giant who Goldman desperately wanted even though he barely read English and wasn't an actor.) But it got me to thinking....how many movies are made where the casting is that flawless? The casting in the movie was just perfect and I think that's one of the reasons why it's held up so well.

It's true. Patinkin was a Broadway guy from Evita. Not sure he made any other movies. Peter Falk was great too.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I thought the first "Godfather" movie was perfectly cast...Brando, Pacino, Duvall, & Caan; a wealth of talent & an excellent script that allowed them to showcase their talents. PERFECT!

Reaction Score
I'd add Young Frankenstein.
Keeping with Mel Brooks you certainly could add Blazing Saddles.

The Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore and The Darjeeling Limited by Wes Anderson.

Broken Flowers, Ghost Dog and Dead Man by Jim Jarmusch.

And what the hell...Animal House.

Reaction Score
Rocky, Caddyshack, Stripes, Goodfellas, Shawshank, Silver Linings Playbook - pretty much most really good movies need treat casting, writing and directing.

14/15 spot on casting make it a GREAT film, but I thought Tom Hulce in Animal House was wrong, it was obvious he was not heterosexual but more importantly he wasn't funny.

Reaction Score
Rocky, Caddyshack, Stripes, Goodfellas, Shawshank, Silver Linings Playbook - pretty much most really good movies need treat casting, writing and directing.

14/15 spot on casting make it a GREAT film, but I thought Tom Hulce in Animal House was wrong, it was obvious he was not heteros e xual but more importantly he wasn't funny.
Thought Hulce was good in Animal House. Now Hulce in Amadeus...totally wrong.

Reaction Score
Heat is perfect casting and pretty much a perfect movie. De Niro made Neil McCauley one of the biggest bad_sses ever portrayed on the big screen, Pacino is great as the worn down investigator he overplays it a tiny bit in typical post 80's Pacino fashion. Val Kilmer and Tom Sizemore are excellent as the other bank robbers, Jon Voight as the money man and Danny Trejo as the getaway driver and Dennis Haysbert as his fill-in. Even the peripheral characters of Hank Azaria, Ted Levine, Wes Studi, William Fichtner and Henry Rollins are spot on. Also, Ashley Judd has never looked better.

Reaction Score
The Usual Suspects is perfectly cast.

I also thought that Pleasantville was cast very well although it is a diverse group from all over the map.

The best single piece of casting in recent years was Robert Downey Junior as Tony Stark. I knew that was perfect before I ever saw the movie.
Agree completely...The Usual Suspects was outstanding...one of my all-time favorites.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
A movie that probably won't have a big following on here that was insanely well cast was Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

Every character is well cast and portrayed. There are some slight deviations from the graphic novels but even those were well done. This movie is brilliantly made in every way.

If you aren't turned off by the style, there's almost no way you won't enjoy it.

Reaction Score
A movie that probably won't have a big following on here that was insanely well cast was Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

Every character is well cast and portrayed. There are some slight deviations from the graphic novels but even those were well done. This movie is brilliantly made in every way.

If you aren't turned off by the style, there's almost no way you won't enjoy it.
Graphic novel...that reminds me: Add Watchmen and Sin City to the list.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The key to a good dramatic actor is that the viewer forgets they are acting. They convince the audience that they resemble the characters they play in real life (Part of the reason why actors are so insufferable when an interview turns to politics or current events. Many are just not that intelligent if they are not fed their lines.).

I never forget that Stephen is the least talented of the Baldwin boys (and it's not close). I think any number of people could have played McManus. Spacey and Palminteri, on the other hand, are fantastic.

Reaction Score
Band of Brothers. I read the book, and to a person, the actor that played them in the series was absolutely believable and authentic, IMO. Even David Schwimmer. My wife thought he was awful for the role, until I read how he was described in the book and it made perfect sense to her.

Reaction Score
Graphic novel...that reminds me: Add Watchmen and Sin City to the list.

Big fan of Watchmen the book. But I don't think the casting was that great. Principally, Malin Akerman who looked too young to be Silk Spectre. Those characters were supposed to be at various points past their primes. And that actress was very much in her prime.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Band of Brothers. I read the book, and to a person, the actor that played them in the series was absolutely believable and authentic, IMO. Even David Schwimmer. My wife thought he was awful for the role, until I read how he was described in the book and it made perfect sense to her.
There is a photo of Capt. Sobel in the middle of Ambrose's book. Schwimmer is a dead-on match for him. Same for Ron Livingston (Capt. Nixon).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is a photo of Capt. Sobel in the middle of Ambrose's book. Schwimmer is a dead-on match for him. Same for Ron Livingston (Capt. Nixon).
Facially David Caruso would have been a good match for Winters but he isn't physically imposing enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom