The "pound-for-pound" program in college basketball | The Boneyard

The "pound-for-pound" program in college basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
in honor of Floyd Mayweather:

The sport of boxing (as well as MMA) speaks frequently of the concept of best "pound-for pound" fighter. "Pound-for-pound" ignores weight class and accounts for caliber of competition, proficiency, resiliency, power, etc. in other words, the fighter who's the most dominant within his own weight class than anyone else is in theirs, whose technical artistry is superior to that of any other, is the best pound-for-pound fighter.

When men's basketball-only fans are dismissive of the women's game, I like to raise the the "pound-for-pound argument" in defense of WCBB. Sure, women don't have the size and hops to contend with men. Meanwhile, the best middleweight fighter would get beaten decisively by even a mediocre heavyweight, and middleweights tend to own the current pound-pound title just the same. Similarly, I argue that I enjoy watching women compete in intra-gender fashion, and it may just be that Uconn's WCBB program is the best pound-for-pound college basketball program.

What I guess is up for discussion is whether everyone would agree. Do you think the boxing weight class analogy is apt when defending the women's game in basketball? Could a women's program be the pound-for-pound best at a point in time? What criteria do you think should be used to measure the top pound-for-pound program?

I'd be interested in reading others' thoughts on this.

Reaction Score
Sure. Rocky Marciano wins hands down. One of the lightest heavyweights ever, weighed 180 pounds for most of his fights. World champion retired 49 - 0. That will never be equaled.

Reaction Score
Too many logistic issues. First we can't even get a real height on most of these women, you think we will get an accurate weight? Then we have to figure if we will include all their braces, bandages, wraps and sweat bands when we set their weight. How often do they weigh in and what uniform must they wear when they weigh in. But it does sound like an interesting topic for conversation. And without knowing any of the criteria, my vote for best PPPP(Player pound per pound) is Moriah Jefferson.:D

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, I'm not talking literal weight here; it's a metaphor/analogy. In boxing, fighters don't compete across all weight classes because of inherent physical disadvantages, but respect is given to a fighter who takes on all comers, demonstrates significant technical proficiency and artistry in the ring, and is dominant within his own division of competition. If you love the way UConn women play basketball, appreciate the unparalleled and unprecedented success they've enjoyed, and respect Geno's willingness to pit his kids against any other women's program, you may say UConn WBB is the best program "pound-for-pound" (metaphorically) in college basketball...even if a men's team would have insurmountable and inherent physical advantages over the UConn women.

And yes, pound-for-pound (literally) and inch-for-inch (also literally), there's a lot to be said for Moriah. :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Sure. Rocky Marciano wins hands down. One of the lightest heavyweights ever, weighed 180 pounds for most of his fights. World champion retired 49 - 0. That will never be equaled.
I don't entirely disagree, but what was Rocky's shooting percentage?

Reaction Score
Yes, Reno Tony, I heartedly agree..... PFP, the absolute best, our Mighty Mite, the one who eats her spinach every day, hands in her homework on time, does everything right..... Mo Jeff, yes Moriah, you rock, my pound-4-pound hero!!!

Reaction Score
Well, I'm not talking literal weight here; it's a metaphor/analogy. In boxing, fighters don't compete across all weight classes because of inherent physical disadvantages, but respect is given to a fighter who takes on all comers, demonstrates significant technical proficiency and artistry in the ring, and is dominant within his own division of competition. If you love the way UConn women play basketball, appreciate the unparalleled and unprecedented success they've enjoyed, and respect Geno's willingness to pit his kids against any other women's program, you may say UConn WBB is the best program "pound-for-pound" (metaphorically) in college basketball...even if a men's team would have insurmountable and inherent physical advantages over the UConn women.

And yes, pound-for-pound (literally) and inch-for-inch (also literally), there's a lot to be said for Moriah. :)
I know.... I was just having a little fun. But I would go with great Connecticut fighter Willie Pep in pound for pound. He weighed 105 and had over 200 wins with 11 loses. And only about half the loses were thrown fights. He got banned by some boxing commission for life so the Governor of CT, whoever it was, made him the CT boxing commissioner. Gotta love boxing people. :)

Reaction Score
Fought a lot of senior citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99