The onside kick was just stupid | The Boneyard

The onside kick was just stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That was a terrible call by Diaco, and he owes the team an apology for making it. UConn rallies to pull within 7 after a terrible sequence where BYU got 10 points in about a minute, and then Diaco decides to give the game away. NO ONE WAS FOOLED by that call. The announcers saw it coming, and I am sure Mendenhall saw it coming. The fact that the BYU player didn't field the ball cleanly doesn't justify a terrible call that effectively ended the game for the Huskies.

It wasn't daring, and it wasn't a gamble. It is not a gamble when everyone knows you are going to do it. It was just throwing the game away.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That was a terrible call by Diaco, and he owes the team an apology for making it. UConn rallies to pull within 7 after a terrible sequence where BYU got 10 points in about a minute, and then Diaco decides to give the game away. NO ONE WAS FOOLED by that call. The announcers saw it coming, and I am sure Mendenhall saw it coming. The fact that the BYU player didn't field the ball cleanly doesn't justify a terrible call that effectively ended the game for the Huskies.

It wasn't daring, and it wasn't a gamble. It is not a gamble when everyone knows you are going to do it. It was just throwing the game away.

So much dumb sh.it goes down and you choose to harp on this? I will never understand you.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Most onside kick calls are not a surprise, which negates your whole theory. Intending to fool folks on an onside kick is quite rare.

I don't hate the call but would have preferred a normal kick off.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
That was a terrible call by Diaco, and he owes the team an apology for making it. UConn rallies to pull within 7 after a terrible sequence where BYU got 10 points in about a minute, and then Diaco decides to give the game away. NO ONE WAS FOOLED by that call. The announcers saw it coming, and I am sure Mendenhall saw it coming. The fact that the BYU player didn't field the ball cleanly doesn't justify a terrible call that effectively ended the game for the Huskies. It wasn't daring, and it wasn't a gamble. It is not a gamble when everyone knows you are going to do it. It was just throwing the game away.
I only don't like it because it didn't succeed. I can get behind it a little but you have to admit it would have had to include a wholesale change in defensive tactics. Playing a prevent defense all mother flocking night?!?!? What the in the literal flock?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The announcers were openly speculating about it which means it was talked about in the meeting between coaches and announcers as a talking point.

It worked twofold. First, ball was live and UConn had a chance to recover. Secondly, defense held and forced the 3 and out.

That call had zero impact on the game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought the defense was ok tonight, only allowing 10 points through 3 quarters. UConn had regained momentum, and I don't think byu would be able to hold the ball for long. I liked the odds of stopping byu's dodgy offense a lot better than the odds of recovering a telegraphed onside kick.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When that kick didn't work, you could see the air go out of the uconn sideline.

Reaction Score
The announcers were openly speculating about it which means it was talked about in the meeting between coaches and announcers as a talking point.

It worked twofold. First, ball was live and UConn had a chance to recover. Secondly, defense held and forced the 3 and out.

Absolutely the wrong call. The correct call to to kick deep and show confidence in your defense which played well up to that point. Maybe you get a quick three and out. Maybe decent field position. Maybe a turnover. But not another of Bobby Boy D's trick plays which are hurting the team.

Reaction Score
I thought the defense was ok tonight, only allowing 10 points through 3 quarters. UConn had regained momentum, and I don't think byu would be able to hold the ball for long. I liked the odds of stopping byu's dodgy offense a lot better than the odds of recovering a telegraphed onside kick.

We gave up 500+ yards, 31 first downs, and forced one punt all night. At that point the odds of a quick stop aren't great.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Absolutely the wrong call. The correct call to to kick deep and show confidence in your defense which played well up to that point. Maybe you get a quick three and out. Maybe decent field position. Maybe a turnover. But not another of Bobby Boy D's trick plays which are hurting the team.

You realize they did force a 3 and out (except for a dead ball personal foul). The defense absolutely did their part on that series.

Reaction Score
I don't mind the call. BYU was aware but not expecting it with Tarbutt kicking. Every other time we had used Puyol for the onside kickoff. We should have recovered it. And we got the three and out---- before the Adams brain cramp.°

Reaction Score
It was so telegraphed that BYU had hardly anyone up at the line, almost their entire return team was back. But yep, BYU sure knew it was coming.
My buddy and I were talking about how on either side of the kick there was maybe one or two returners tops for BYU and that if they kicked it 10 they may have had a chance...
Sure enough they try it, they have 4 or 5 guys there for the loose ball and they all run by it like it's some fred flinstone cartoon.

Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said:
You realize they did force a 3 and out (except for a dead ball personal foul). The defense absolutely did their part on that series.
Wasn't a 3 and out really. Would have been field goal attempt.

Reaction Score

Nevertheless, not the prudent call. When Bobby Boy D starts having a higher percentage of success on all these trick plays then maybe just maybe. You want to have confidence in your team, then you keep hammering away at that juncture in the contest.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

Other than creating the short field that adams penalty allowed them to close out.

I agree with Nelson here, you kick that ball deep and show some confidence in your defense to get it back for you. Week in week out we see calls that are justified as 'cultural engineering' but really communicate that we believe we suck and only a miraculous gimmick will get us through. Now I'm vey much a believer that these sophomores currently playing are going to be ranked before they graduate and this team is still good for 5/6 wins this year which is what most of us were hoping for. At some point however, the transition to a culture of winning has to include calling the game like you expect to execute and win -- maybe we still don't have enough on the o-line for that but it's where we need to go.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
the broadcast teams discussion of whether or not diaco makes that call in year four was pretty interesting and, I think, on point. if hbcd's decision making calculus is to override sound football judgement because the team needs a little extra, then we're going to see head scratchers. crazy though, that you stay in the game for three qtr.'s by making them go the length of the field and then voluntarily give up a short field at crunch time. there were 9 minutes left at that point, didn't even need a three and out, just a stop.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
'except for'? that means it wasn't a three and out, it was a "three and hey, take three more"... may have been a cheap and silly call but I'm not going to pat him on the back for it....

Reaction Score
I liked the call, the kick was effective and was available for the taking. The BYU kid who recovered should have been taken out of the play by our player on the outside and it should have been a recovery. Would have been huge in that game. Did not hurt them either as they were about to get the ball back. Down 7 on the road and trying to make something happen. Was fine with the call.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I would have trusted the defense but it didn't really hurt us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom