The On-Campus Stadium Debate | The Boneyard

The On-Campus Stadium Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
First off, I'm new to the board, so I'll give you a little background on me. I'm currently a rising Junior at UConn majoring in Resource Economics. I've lived in Charlotte, NC since 2000 so I've become very accustomed to SEC/ACC football and the beautiful small college towns that make the gameday experience so special. I love UConn and I'm very happy with my school choice, however I can't help but notice how much Storrs not having the football stadium on campus hurts the University atmosphere.

With that being said can someone explain to me the background story as to why the stadium was put in East Hartford instead of Storrs? And is there any hope in the future for a new stadium to be built in Storrs? I appreciate any information y'all may have.

Reaction Score
or sharks with laser beams.

The debate was lost in 1997/1998. All the papers covered it.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The people of Mansfield are the only ones who post here it seems also

The state just dropped billions on academics. Yet we can't take 200mil and build everything we ever wanted sports wise on campus. We're just going to chase the AAU dream and let sports rot because our athletic director likes to drink with wake Forrest. Good plan.

Reaction Score
First off, I'm new to the board, so I'll give you a little background on me. I'm currently a rising Junior at UConn majoring in Resource Economics. I've lived in Charlotte, NC since 2000 so I've become very accustomed to SEC/ACC football and the beautiful small college towns that make the gameday experience so special. I love UConn and I'm very happy with my school choice, however I can't help but notice how much Storrs not having the football stadium on campus hurts the University atmosphere.

With that being said can someone explain to me the background story as to why the stadium was put in East Hartford instead of Storrs? And is there any hope in the future for a new stadium to be built in Storrs? I appreciate any information y'all may have.

We need to see a copy of your student picture ID first...

In the meantime,use the search function in the upper right hand corner to find a multitude of threads where it has already been beat to shat. I'll start you off... Beginning @ post #25 in this thread. http://the-boneyard.com/threads/left-behind-in-realignment.38967/page-4#post-596715 - have fun!

Reaction Score
UCONN will shortly have fulfilled its obligation to the state of Connecticut and the Rent. Shortly means within the next decade.

Now is the time that UCONN should start a preliminary analysis of constructing an on campus stadium. The folks at Colorado State and UNLV are well along to doing what UConn should be doing.

In light of the plans to grow enrollment to 25k undergrads, at Storrs, from the current 17k enrollment, there exists a solid, energized basis to support such a study.

UCONN has the land that it needs. What is lacking is the $150 million to $250 million in private funds necessary.

Given that UCONN will need to have the hockey arena issue settled in three years, a campaign should be started now. It will be incredibly difficult, but not impossible. Such things as a study of the monetization of naming rights and a TCU-like donor suite pre-sale would provide a relatively quick way to have the fundraisers get out of the block running, to prove economic feasibility, and provide the inherent excitement and community that such an undertaking would foster.

You will find naysayers here that contend that the drive from different parts of the state make getting to Storrs an emotional and physical impossibility. This in one of the smallest states in the union.

Others will claim that there exist no way to build roads, interchanges and crossings. While road-building has existed for thousands of years in the rest of the society, the Connecticut border apparently is an impenetrable barrier to such notions.

Still others will cite riparian rights, apathy, and various other excuses as to why what countless others have done (and are doing) UCONN can not do.

Make no mistake, it is doable. It will require something that UCONN has been lacking for quite some time now, and that's leadership from stakeholders, be it the students, alums, donors,, and most important of all, the athletic department and UCONN administration.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
UCONN will shortly have fulfilled its obligation to the state of Connecticut and the Rent. Shortly means within the next decade.

Now is the time that UCONN should start a preliminary analysis of constructing an on campus stadium. The folks at Colorado State and UNLV are well along to doing what UConn should be doing.

In light of the plans to grow enrollment to 25k undergrads, at Storrs, from the current 17k enrollment, there exists a solid, energized basis to support such a study.

UCONN has the land that it needs. What is lacking is the $150 million to $250 million in private funds necessary.

Given that UCONN will need to have the hockey arena issue settled in three years, a campaign should be started now. It will be incredibly difficult, but not impossible. Such things as a study of the monetization of naming rights and a TCU-like donor suite pre-sale would provide a relatively quick way to have the fundraisers get out of the block running, to prove economic feasibility, and provide the inherent excitement and community that such an undertaking would foster.

You will find naysayers here that contend that the drive from different parts of the state make getting to Storrs an emotional and physical impossibility. This in one of the smallest states in the union.

Others will claim that there exist no way to build roads, interchanges and crossings. While road-building has existed for thousands of years in the rest of the country, the Connecticut border apparently is an impenetrable barrier to such notions.

Still others will cite riparian rights, apathy, and various other excuses as to why what countless others have done (and are doing) UCONN can not do.

Make no mistake, it is doable. It will require something that UCONN has been lacking for quite some time now, and that's leadership from stakeholders, be it the students, alums, donors,, and most important of all, the athletic department and UCONN leadership.

I have been begging here for a 2018 and 2025 strategic plan. Bravo for putting it in nice words which I won't be use I'm mad and drunk and have the education of a 2 year old in Iran.

The rent in 2018 needs to be sponsored by a red bull type where MLB soccer comes into town. Mel's soccer plays a mostly summer schedule into the fall so it would not hurt uconn winter sports and it won't hurt football much as they do not cross fanbas Weiss much. Figure in we have them play away when uconn is home logistics wise ......

Make them the only pro sports team in ct so uconn still is the focus of the state. No more bluefish or wildcat minor league teams or anything like that either. Uconn sports 365.

60k stadium. 15k arena. 5k barn. 3k base stadium. Get it done. Or have no balls and continue status quo as we sit in the AAC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Others will claim that there exist no way to build roads, interchanges and crossings. While road-building has existed for thousands of years in the rest of the country, the Connecticut border apparently is an impenetrable barrier to such notions.

Make no mistake, it is doable. It will require something that UCONN has been lacking for quite some time now, and that's leadership from stakeholders, be it the students, alums, donors,, and most important of all, the athletic department and UCONN administration.
Very nicely done.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
horsebarn.png

Horsebarn Hill future home of Husky Stadium.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
There is no debate. There was never and will never be a stadium in Storrs. More than half the state would have no chance of getting in and out of there. UConn doesn't have 100+ years of big time football fans willing to make a day or two for the game as they do in the SEC (setting up Fridays and whatnot). Rentschler Field is in a PERFECT location.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
There is no debate. We have a stadium.

LOL, thank you. The idea that UConn would EVER not play at the Rent is just ludicrous.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The New England Revolution are owned by Bob Kraft.
The New England Revolution have the territorial rights to an MLS team in the state of Connecticut.
The New England Revolution were approached by Larry Gottarsdiner to move to the Rent.
The New England Revolution said no.
The New England Revolution are not for sale. They will not be for sale. And Bob Kraft will not relent on CT territorial rights.

Summary: an MLS team is not coming to Connecticut. Period.

Reaction Score
Have you ever been stuck in Gampel traffic from 84 to campus?? ...thats 10K people. Route 195 would be a parking lot for about 18 hours every Saturday if the stadium was on campus.

With that said if we get a highway by 2050, by all means lets go for it but I think we have B1Gger athletic issues to deal with than replacing a 10 year old stadium that never sells out...

Reaction Score
Have you ever been stuck in Gampel traffic from 84 to campus?? ...thats 10K people. Route 195 would be a parking lot for about 18 hours every Saturday if the stadium was on campus.

With that said if we get a highway by 2050, by all means lets go for it but I think we have B1Gger athletic issues to deal with than replacing a 10 year old stadium that never sells out...

110,000 used to go to PSU on a one lane road. Now THAT impressed the B1G!

Reaction Score
The only good place on campus for a stadium is by the red barn on top of the hill behind the old campus police dept on 195..the northern edge of campus.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When you can't get people to go to East Hartford how do you get them to go to Storrs? Obviously you can't. This simple fact is lost on many here.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Never mind the on-campus stadium, Drew. I hope to see you and your student friends at the Rent this season! Kickoff to final whistle!

Reaction Score
Whatever the cost of the stadium might supposedly be, double it. Then add hundreds of millions for access road improvements from I84 and Willy. Great to think about. Ain't gonna happen.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are there not already 25,000 people in Storrs?

One way say, PSU, gets 100k to the stadium is by having 35k of the 50k students show up, and another 20k townies.

This isn't Penn State.

Oh 25k live in Storrs yet they paper Gampel with free tickets.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Man, I'm glad it's not MY tax money you guys are spending so freely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom