"The officials will check the monitor" | The Boneyard

"The officials will check the monitor"

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed an alarming amount of official reviews this tournament? I feel like this season I noticed it a bit more than in years past, but it seems like there are 2-3 every half in the NCAA Tournament games. They just absolutely kill the flow/momentum of the game and half the time they still end up making the wrong call!

The Seton Hall Flagrant 1 was unacceptable to call there and then even last night in the Arkansas game, the UNC player clearly tipped the 3 point attempt and the ball should have been rewarded back to Arkansas (with 2 on the shot clock) the refs spend 5 minutes looking at the thing and still make the wrong call.

I feel like the officials are so scared to make the wrong call, that they end up pausing the game/stopping momentum and altering the outcome worse than 1 call would do.

Under 2 minutes in the 2nd half - sure check for possession - but it feels like you can't go a TV timeout without a conference.

Absolutely my least favorite thing in professional and college sports. Have a centralized review booth manned by referees overseeing all games, radio in the play in question and if it can't be determined in 30 seconds, it clearly isn't over turnable.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
And the blown calls or non-calls, especially late in games, seem to generally favor the higher seeded team. It almost looks like their NCAA marching orders are when in doubt, always make the call in favor of the higher seed, I guess to validate that the committee seeded everything correctly.

The refs who called the Gonzaga - NW game should never be allowed on a college BB court again. How do three guys not see a player stick his hand through the hoop to block a shot?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The no call in the Carolina game was as bad as it gets

Gonzaga hand through the hoop vs Northwestern in crunch time was the worst missed call in the tournament imo. Everyone in the arena saw it but 3 refs...and the broadcasters. Insane. And after the tech, that effectively ended the game.

Reaction Score
Unless there have been a ton of malfunctions, I feel like the clock operators have been awful too.. there have been a number of instances where the clock just stopped, or they forgot to reset the shot clock, etc.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Are you talking about the drive to the hoop and he levels the defender? Hopefully you are taking about the same play, but I thought it was a charge. Shoulder down into defender and continued to plow through. Walking as well. Terrible. Most non call I ever saw. That was with 2 minutes or under?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom