THe Official Make a Spartan Start Shartin' Game Thread | Page 27 | The Boneyard

THe Official Make a Spartan Start Shartin' Game Thread

Reaction Score
Look, coach Calhoun's last season we weren't able to reel in much talent because of his health, KO first season he was giving a 6 months contract. No players will commit to that. We are still paying the price for that. We're heading in the right direction... be patient.
Warden should have commit to Ollie as coach in waiting and we wouldn't have this problem. He's loving life at Michigan with a nice fat contract.

Reaction Score
Ways to fix the offense...

1. Move Gil off ball, move Adams on ball. Adams needs to run the offense. Gil needs to just worry about scoring.

2. Adams needs to stop dribbling and shooting a jump shot past the free throw line. Either get the pass for the shot, or go for a floater/layup.

3. Larrier needs to learn to pass, and to stop slipping on screens. It’s selfish, and likely to cause a turnover. JA or Gil will absolutely get him the ball if it’s the right play. Set an actual screen.

4. Larrier plays either PF or Center.

5. Figure out who our best shooter is, have them be our third guard starter.

Add a few plays to go with the PnR.

Reaction Score
Why is he dribbling? Where is the pass back to the perimeter? Every pass to the post resulted in a turnover with no attempt to continue the possession for a better shot with ball movement. Absolute coaching failure. What are the other four players doing when he catches in the post? This needs to be taught. force them to play real offense. Enough of the one on one BS.
Yes Ollie needs to run sets against man more, I really think we’re better suited against the zone, I saw the one man beater but Andersen pass was a lil off for Jalen to catch n score .. hopefully we all get a chance to see great flow with our offensive sets come aac play n Cobb being another suitable big that can do it all in the fold, I’ll have high hopes for our future

Reaction Score
Enough excuses... it is NOT too much to ask Ollie to have the team running some semblance of offense at the end of November. I don’t care if the team is made up of 10 year olds who have never seen a basketball. You cannot skip over having a complete offensive game plan and just say “10 toes in”. He has the right blueprint to be a great coach, but he will fail if that doesn’t change.

P.S. still a lot to like about the team compared to last years dumpster fire :D

Reaction Score
Exactly this. MSU got open looks in the half court, we didn't. We need more dynamic, less predictable, less up-against-the-shot-clock offense.
The team is much better than last year, and the truth is we had our chances mid way through the second half down by 5 to bring it even, but blew 4 consecutive possessions. You just can't win if you don't convert free trips. The whole pychology of the game would have been different had we closed the gap then. Once the lead ballooned back up to 10, MSU felt the pressure dissipate, they lossened up and out guys lost a step. We got eaten alive the last 10 minutes

Reaction Score
The team is much better than last year, and the truth is we had our chances mid way through the second half down by 5 to bring it even, but blew 4 consecutive possessions. You just can't win if you don't convert free trips. The whole pychology of the game would have been different had we closed the gap then. Once the lead ballooned back up to 10, MSU felt the pressure dissipate, they lossened up and out guys lost a step. We got eaten alive the last 10 minutes
True. Buuut, not to beat a dead horse here, we were down 1 at the half and played amazing defense to hold them to... 29 points!!! But we were losing, and they played not amazing defense. Because you do not need to play amazing defense to keep our team from scoring, because it’s basically 1 on 5. If our offense wasn’t so insanely bad, we were up by ten at the half.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
That's a very wise analysis.

Reaction Score
I really want Ollie to set times for resting his stars so they can remain fresh over a long taxing season .. idc what anybody say Adams & Larrier needs there rest .. you have to find out what u have when both aren’t on the court , I would take Adams out around the 13 min mark of every half for a quick spell n Larrier around 11 min mark , bring them back after the media timeout, also need to see vital on the court for a long duration n not a min here or 4 mins there , let him play ball instead of having him thinking every decision he makes he could be back on the bench

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
"Players who were coached by Calhoun by the most part"

LMAO

I suppose Calhoun was running secret skill development sessions with Bazz and Daniels behind closed doors from 2012-2014.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Warden should have commit to Ollie as coach in waiting and we wouldn't have this problem. He's loving life at Michigan with a nice fat contract.

That wasn't Warde's doing. He was backed into a corner by somebody whose name rhymes with Shmim Shmalhoun.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I’m not typically an ollie doubter. But 2014 was Shabazz’s team, and they ran offense with players who were also coached by Calhoun for the most part.

Not one player on that team was coached by JC "for the most part". A few seniors were 2/2, some, like Boat, were coached for 1 year and others were never coached by Calhoun.
KO has things that need to improve but could we please stop dragging JC into the conversation? Ollie really did win a NC. Let go.

Reaction Score

The 2014 team was all KO and people still trying got convince themselves this wasn't "his" team and still JC's guys are clueless. Forgetting how good Bazz was a freshman compared to expectations, but only as Kemba's right hand man, then how his soph year under JC was dreadful in so many ways including leadership I mean he was lost after his 2nd year. KO brought him back and the better version arrived, the leader the great player who put people on his back. And let's not forget Niels or Deandre who were whipping boys for JC before KO took them under his wing. Listen I love JC he was my favorite he walks on damn water as far as I'm concerned but no one in their right mind can take away any credit for what KO did in his NC year nor the year before with those who stayed. They stayed because they believed in him and it worked out pretty well I'd say.

Reaction Score
That wasn't Warde's doing. He was backed into a corner by somebody whose name rhymes with Shmim Shmalhoun.
Recruiting in college basketball is cut throat. Coaches used Coach Calhoun health against him, Calhoun even said onne coach told a recruit he was dying. Kevin Ollie should have been named coach in waiting. This would have brought stability and clarity to recruits. We would have been in a much better position now. Ollie's enthusiasm and fire he had on the sidelines in 2013 and 2014 is back. Unfortunately he's had a rough patch divorce... and this didn't help. Although we don't have the quality talents we are use to he's got them playing hard. He's visibly out there in the recruiting world, he's hired assistants that fits his style and personality. Coach Larry Brown told me that Kevin Ollie was the most prepared player he's ever coached. He knew all the other teams plays, he was like having another coach on your team. Some of the best players in the world complimented Ollie. Some of us has nothing better to do than complain, like we can do better. I am happy with our progress and I know over time he will reel in better talents.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
50 of 57 points came from three players. 8 total assists in two games. Say all you want about MSU being great, but this program is failing to run offense, and that needs to change or Ollie will eventually be gone. You can’t coach at this level and not teach fundamentals.
And this warranted posting why?

Reaction Score
The 2014 team was all KO and people still trying got convince themselves this wasn't "his" team and still JC's guys are clueless. Forgetting how good Bazz was a freshman compared to expectations, but only as Kemba's right hand man, then how his soph year under JC was dreadful in so many ways including leadership I mean he was lost after his 2nd year. KO brought him back and the better version arrived, the leader the great player who put people on his back. And let's not forget Niels or Deandre who were whipping boys for JC before KO took them under his wing. Listen I love JC he was my favorite he walks on damn water as far as I'm concerned but no one in their right mind can take away any credit for what KO did in his NC year nor the year before with those who stayed. They stayed because they believed in him and it worked out pretty well I'd say.

JC's recruits, but KO's players. KO molded those guys and deserves credit for the maturity and growth of Bazz, Boat, Daniels, Giffey. But JC gave him the clay.

The question is whether KO can recruit AND develop his own players. The jury is still out on this, given a lot of questionable recruiting decisions and lack of development of several KO recruits.

Reaction Score
According to espn, Uconn was "stomped", despite getting within 5 about halfway through the second half...

Fans NEED to utilize social media more to fight these bogus misconceptions. Like it or not, if they don't see us out in full force, the disrespect will only continue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom