The Official 2016 NY Yankees Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The Official 2016 NY Yankees Thread

Reaction Score
Yup. Nats traded Rivero and Tyler Hearn for Melancon. Probably a better deal for the Nats. Although trading Rivero takes a LHP out of their pen so maybe they will still be in play for Miller.

Lots of talk about McCann now. Might not be outrageous, if they weren't cross town rivals, to deal the Mets McCann and Miller for someone like Steven Matz. I have no idea if the Mets would do that (probably not) but a vet C like McCann might unlock some more potential in that young staff.

I was really hoping the Yanks would make the Giolito deal, if it was indeed on the table.

Too many questions on Matz now to make that deal? Need to get more

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Today @yankees acquire OF Clint Frazier, LHP Justus Sheffield and RHPs Ben Heller and J.P. Feyereisen from Cleveland for LHP Andrew Miller.

Another terrific haul for the Yankees. By trading 2 guys from their bullpen, the Yankees have improved their farm system into definite top 10 ranking.

Reaction Score
Today @yankees acquire OF Clint Frazier, LHP Justus Sheffield and RHPs Ben Heller and J.P. Feyereisen from Cleveland for LHP Andrew Miller.

Another terrific haul for the Yankees. By trading 2 guys from their bullpen, the Yankees have improved their farm system into definite top 10 ranking.

Great, it sucks that Miller had to be traded but its definitely a move that needed to be made, I guess Beltran is next and maybe even Mccann, if only the Yankees could get rid of Arod, Ellsbury, Tex and Headley as well I would be totally fine with a total rebuild next year.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Great, it sucks that Miller had to be traded but its definitely a move that needed to be made, I guess Beltran is next and maybe even Mccann, if only the Yankees could get rid of Arod, Ellsbury, Tex and Headley as well I would be totally fine with a total rebuild next year.

I think Tex is done after this year. So scratch him and his $20+M off the books. Agree on the rest. It might even be in the best interest to just buy out ARod this offseason and play someone like Refsynder at 3B all season to see if he sticks. Frazier and Judge will challenge for two OF spots next year and I hope that bumps either Ellsbury or Gardner out. McKinney is close too with a similar skill set as the two speedy OFs in NY. Goodbye Hicks. Bird takes over at 1B - instant upgrade there.

A key is to keep Severino healthy next year and hopefully develop him back into a potential top of the rotation arm. Heck, they could potentially sign Chapman as a free agent this offseason, not lose a good draft pick in the process, and build the back end of the pen up again.

Exciting time to be a Yankee fan for sure.

Reaction Score
I think Tex is done after this year. So scratch him and his $20+M off the books. Agree on the rest. It might even be in the best interest to just buy out ARod this offseason and play someone like Refsynder at 3B all season to see if he sticks. Frazier and Judge will challenge for two OF spots next year and I hope that bumps either Ellsbury or Gardner out. McKinney is close too with a similar skill set as the two speedy OFs in NY. Goodbye Hicks. Bird takes over at 1B - instant upgrade there.

A key is to keep Severino healthy next year and hopefully develop him back into a potential top of the rotation arm. Heck, they could potentially sign Chapman as a free agent this offseason, not lose a good draft pick in the process, and build the back end of the pen up again.

You seem to know the minor league systems real well so I do appreciate your posts they educate me. I will also trust you on this trade being a win. It just amazes me this kid Frazier is a top kid and yet I see his stats and they are far from impressive. I mean does anyone hit .300 even in the minors anymore? Hope the prognosticators are correct.

Am I wrong thinking the Yanks may have waited a day to see if they could win and because of that lost the Nats top pick because they got too impatient and took Melancon?

Reaction Score
Yes, for a change the Yankees are making moves t0 develop their future. I loved Miller as a Yankee, but what's the point of an elite closer if you don't have a real chance of winning it all this year or next? With moving Chapman and Miller, they now added two elite prospects, another top prospect and a couple other lottery picks. Like this change of approach.

In other news, I just bought my first AAA SWB Railriders tickets for August. Front row seats for $11. Hope to see Clint Fraizer at the game!

Dooley

Reaction Score
You seem to know the minor league systems real well so I do appreciate your posts they educate me. I will also trust you on this trade being a win. It just amazes me this kid Frazier is a top kid and yet I see his stats and they are far from impressive. I mean does anyone hit .300 even in the minors anymore? Hope the prognosticators are correct.

Am I wrong thinking the Yanks may have waited a day to see if they could win and because of that lost the Nats top pick because they got too impatient and took Melancon?

Frazier was the 5th pick in the MLB Amateur Draft a few years ago and the Indians have definitely fast tracked him. I think he spends the rest of this season in Scranton and then probably starts next year there too but could be a mid-season call up. Would want him to get more ABs in a 3 or 4 hole and play multiple OF positions before starting his arbitration clock.

Sheffield is a sneaky good get. His stock has exploded this year. He's still a ways away but he's a good mid-rotation guy because of his mechanics and control. Can bring some mid 90s velocity on occasion too.

I think in making a deal, the Yankees wanted quality quantity. Personally, I would have traded Miller for Giolito straight up. But that gives the Yanks no room for error too. If Giolito busts out, they made a bad trade. The haul from the Tribe gives the Yanks 2 top 100 prospects and 2 more guys with good upside. If one busts out, they still have a guy who can translate to the bigs.

I think this trade and the Giolito one are equal on projection, but obviously in favor of the CLE trade just to add more quality prospects to the system.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yes, for a change the Yankees are making moves t0 develop their future. I loved Miller as a Yankee, but what's the point of an elite closer if you don't have a real chance of winning it all this year or next? With moving Chapman and Miller, they now added two elite prospects, another top prospect and a couple other lottery picks. Like this change of approach.

In other news, I just bought my first AAA SWB Railriders tickets for August. Front row seats for $11. Hope to see Clint Fraizer at the game!

You'll have to give us a scouting report! I love going to MiLB games. You can see the players who have potential and how much they separate themselves from the career minor leaguers or roster fillers.

Miller is a class act. Always was a team first guy and didn't let the acquisition of Chapman derail him like Storen/Papelbon/Melancon. I hope he closes out a World Series for the Tribe this year.

LOVE the change in approach. Baseball economics has changed. You win with players who are in their controllable arb seasons. Free agency should only be used to fill in gaps to make playoff runs. The days of handing a 30+ year old an 8 year $200M contract are long gone...at least for the smarter clubs. I can't wait for the Yankees bad contracts to expire - ARod, Tex, CC, Ellsbury, McCann, Headley...those 6 players will free up just about $110M in salary and in perfect time for that highly anticipated are agency class of 2018-19 to hit (Harper, Machado, Fernandez, etc). Even if the Yankees can hit on 3 or 4 of their top 100 prospects, they can then use that money to bring in a HUGE name or two to fill in holes and contend for a World Series again.

C Frazier, G Torres, J Mateo, A Judge, G Sanchez, J Sheffield, J Kaprielan all top 100. Luis Severino was a top 100 guy. Blake Rutherford will absolutely be a top 100 guy soon as soon as the Yanks promote him into A+ ball (he is tearing up Rookie ball pitching right now).

Would like to see Beltran and McCann traded for more prospect depth. Even if it means starting Sanchez's clock or playing Hicks more (gulp). Those two are probably the next most valuable, even if the Yanks have to eat some of the cash.

Reaction Score
Would like to see Beltran and McCann traded for more prospect depth.
IMO, Beltran is a must-trade. He's their best hitter this year, but the Yankees aren't making the playoffs and he's a UFA. McCann should be moved, but I understand why the Yankees don't want to eat tons of money on that contract in a trade.

Reaction Score
Good for Beltran. Goes to a contender during a solid year offensively and why stay with the Yanks anyway while rebuilding? Nova, hope they get something but again, not too much for either of them. The Rangers guy is a 1st rounder but he's stinking it up in A right now.

Reaction Score
Good for Beltran. Goes to a contender during a solid year offensively and why stay with the Yanks anyway while rebuilding? Nova, hope they get something but again, not too much for either of them. The Rangers guy is a 1st rounder but he's stinking it up in A right now.

I heard the Yankees are getting 2 more players in that deal (to be named later) as for Nova he wasn't in the Yankees plans anyways so you might as well trade him and get something if not no big deal (with the Nova trade that is). Who knows maybe Nova does better in the NL, and as I'm typing way to go Didi.

Reaction Score
Caught this on ESPN earlier today basically saying that the Yankees are gearing-up for 2019 with this week's trades and with CC's, Tiex's and A-Roid (who may not make it to the end of this season) expiring in 2018. Just need to figure out who to pawn McCann, who also maybe gone (Atlanta) before 2016 ends.

'Uber' Yankees? Brian Cashman hatches LeBron James-like master plan

ESPN's proposed Yankees batting order for opening 2019

1) Clint Frazer CF (farm)
2) Bryce Harper RF (from Washington)
3) Manny Machado, 3B (from Baltimore)
4) Aaron Judge, DH (farm)
5) Greg Bird, 1B (farm/IR)
5) Gary Sanchez, C (farm)
6) Didi Gregorius, SS (Yankees)
7) Gleyber Torres, 2B (farm)
8) Jacoby Ellsbury, CF (Yankees)

Rotation: 1) Jose Fernandez (from Miami), 2) TBD, 3) Masahiro Tanaka (Yankees), 4) [URL='http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/33263/luis-severino']Luis Severino (Yankees), 5) James Kaprielian (farm)[/URL]
[URL='http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/33263/luis-severino'][/URL]
Only whole would be a closer.

That's a loaded team.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Yankees #3 hitter is batting .195

Reaction Score
Caught this on ESPN earlier today basically saying that the Yankees are gearing-up for 2019 with this week's trades and with CC's, Tiex's and A-Roid (who may not make it to the end of this season) expiring in 2018. Just need to figure out who to pawn McCann, who also maybe gone (Atlanta) before 2016 ends.

Rotation: 1) Jose Fernandez (from Miami), 2) TBD, 3) Masahiro Tanaka (Yankees), 4) Luis Severino (Yankees), 5) James Kaprielian (farm)

That's a loaded team.

So loaded they're going with an 8 man lineup!

Dooley

Reaction Score

Rotation: 1) Jose Fernandez (from Miami), 2) TBD, 3) Masahiro Tanaka (Yankees), 4) Luis Severino (Yankees), 5) James Kaprielian (farm)

That's a loaded team.

This is exactly the idea I've been preaching all season. The Yankees were going to be mediocre as-is for the next few years. Why accept mediocrity when you can use the time until the 2018-19 free agency class to build up some quality youth? Frazier, Torres, Mateo, Judge, Sanchez, Bird...all can contribute. See which one sticks and fill in the gaps with over $100M of spending money on the likes of Harper, Machado, Fernandez, etc.

I wouldn't worry about CP either. Betances can be re-signed. If Dillon Tate doesn't make it as a SP, his live arm plays as a backend bullpen arm.

And let's not forget about Blake Rutherford, who can very easily push Ellsbury out by 2019. He'll likely finish the year in A ball and get fast tracked. He could possess all of the tools Ellsbury has for a fraction of the cost. Moving Ellsbury's money will be difficult - might result in a straight salary dump. That's why I wouldn't mind them dealing him this offseason while he still has some minuscule value left. Still would have to eat tons of money to move him but with Judge and Frazier already knocking at the door, we can shift Gardner back to CF and role with the youth.

Also not to be forgotten, these trades will likely result in more losses which could result in a top 10 draft selection. *If* that happens, the Yankees could fill in holes via free agency without losing their pick if a player is tendered. So, in a bit of irony, I am rooting for more Yankee losses this year! Ha!

Reaction Score
So loaded they're going with an 8 man lineup!

Didn't you see, Bird and Sanchez are both batting fifth. It's a good thing Bird bats left and Sanchez right. Just try to throw the ball past both of them.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yankee trading might not be done either. You can still trade players if they pass through waivers. If a player is claimed, they could let the player walk (and the claiming team assumes 100% of the remaining money left on any contract), or the Yankees can work out a trade with the claiming team. If not, they can pull the player back.

Players who should be able to pass through waivers without any problem because of the money owed:
Ellsbury
ARod
Tex
CC
Headley

Players who *might* be claimed on waivers but are still owed a lot of money:
McCann
Gardner
Castro

Every team puts just about their entire 40 man on trade waivers - doesn't mean they will trade them. Just gives every club options. And in the Yankees case, if any team claims any of the first 5 guys on the top list, it might be in the best interest to let the claiming team assume the money and move on. Highly unlikely, but certainly a move towards the future.

Reaction Score

That's a loaded team.

That all sounds too good to be true, I dont get the go all in approach for Harper of course I would want him to be a Yankee, getting the best player in MLB is not the same as the NBA. Harper still has 2 years under contract and he plays in a big market the Nationals are closer to a world series then the Yankees are for the time being. I like the position the Yankees are in right now develop the young guys, keep on collecting as much young talent as possible since not all of their prospects will pan out, collect as many assets as possible.

Reaction Score
It was just one game and in relief, but it was great to see Severino pitch 4+ very good innings last night.

Yeah it was, he's a big key to the future. He has it just needs to put it together at this level.

Man the Mets suck huh?:eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom