The Official 2016 Mets Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Official 2016 Mets Thread

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Matz, Thor, and Big Sexy. pitching well.
deGrom needs to turn it around a bit. Velocity down. Montero pitching well of late for Vegas. Logan a decent spot starter. Agree Silent Knight needs to step it up, and Boras peeing his britches.

can we agree to dump Campbell before some of you trash me?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
can we agree to dump Campbell before some of you trash me?

As much as we get on you for your negativity, I agree 100% that Campbell needs to go. I hope they activate Wilmer today and move on from Campbell.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As much as we get on you for your negativity, I agree 100% that Campbell needs to go. I hope they activate Wilmer today and move on from Campbell.

Doubt that's going to make him happy:

also, what does Campbell have on Sandy that he continues to take up roster space? Wilmer too, for that matter.

Reaction Score
I have to repeat that job number one has got to be getting a MLB catcher on our roster. How is it possible that the guys we have are automatic outs at the plate, and automatic steals for the other team? D'Arnoud and Plawecki are not major league players.

I agree that we need a catcher who can throw runners out but d'Arnaud not a ML player? What are you smoking?

His stat line extrapolated over a full year last year (600 AB's) would have been 30+ HR, 100+ RBI. That's MVP territory offensively as a catcher and good catchers aren't easy to come by let alone ones who put up those kind of numbers.

Also it's too soon to make a determination on Plawecki. He has little over 300 AB's, that's it.

Reaction Score
Deal Harvey at next year's trade deadline assuming he turns it around. We're not going to get the haul we want if we trade him as a rental in 2018 so next year would make most sense.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I agree that we need a catcher who can throw runners out but d'Arnaud not a ML player? What are you smoking?

His stat line extrapolated over a full year last year (600 AB's) would have been 30+ HR, 100+ RBI. That's MVP territory offensively as a catcher and good catchers aren't easy to come by let alone ones who put up those kind of numbers.

Who? Oh yeah, he's on our roster and payroll. And not for extrapolated stats. The guy is an above-average offensive catcher when healthy, but he's a china doll who has already spent too much time injured. And he has a rag arm so every walk and single is an instant double, meaning a man in scoring position. That, to me, is not what I envision for a MLB catcher.

Also it's too soon to make a determination on Plawecki. He has little over 300 AB's, that's it.

I don't disagree about Plawecki and I was high on him last year when he first came up but he dropped off offensively pretty quickly and doesn't seem to have much confidence at the plate. But he had a nice put out of Utley last night, so that's a positive sign. I would give him more time, but he's still a backup.

Reaction Score
Who? Oh yeah, he's on our roster and payroll. And not for extrapolated stats. The guy is an above-average offensive catcher when healthy, but he's a china doll who has already spent too much time injured. And he has a rag arm so every walk and single is an instant double, meaning a man in scoring position. That, to me, is not what I envision for a MLB catcher.

If you're problem with him is that he's rarely healthy than say that not that he can't hit. The guy clearly can hit when he's healthy and he's still our best option at this point. Perhaps when the playoffs roll around (barring he's healthy) we can carry him and Rivera for defensive purposes and leave Plawecki off.

I don't disagree about Plawecki and I was high on him last year when he first came up but he dropped off offensively pretty quickly and doesn't seem to have much confidence at the plate. But he had a nice put out of Utley last night, so that's a positive sign. I would give him more time, but he's still a backup.

Yea that's his ceiling and I get the sense he's starting to come around a little bit offensively at least enough so that he's not a drag but he's a #8 hitter for life.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you're problem with him is that he's rarely healthy than say that not that he can't hit.
That's fair. Didn't mean to suggest that he can't hit; just that he's often hurt and even when healthy the clear trade-off for his bat is that his inability to throw guys out directly causes more runners in scoring position for the other team.

Suffice to say that I'm happy we got Thor along with him in the Dickey trade.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We just got James Loney for cash. Hit .290 with a .340 OBP against righties last year, so not a bad fill-in.

Reaction Score
We just got James Loney for cash. Hit .290 with a .340 OBP against righties last year, so not a bad fill-in.

Career .303 hitter with RISP. Mets are batting .217 this season with RISP.

Reaction Score
That's fair. Didn't mean to suggest that he can't hit; just that he's often hurt and even when healthy the clear trade-off for his bat is that his inability to throw guys out directly causes more runners in scoring position for the other team.

Suffice to say that I'm happy we got Thor along with him in the Dickey trade.

I was just happy that we somehow managed to get rid of both Thole and Nickeas in 1 deal. I honestly believe they were the worst catching tandem in MLB history.

Reaction Score
Cardinals just cut old friend Ruby Tejada, and before anyone goes off on me it wouldn't be a crazy idea to bring him back (and I'm not a huge fan of his). If Cabrera ever got hurt we'd be pretty screwed. Wilmer is not a SS and neither Kelly or Reynolds have shown much of anything plus I don't think Kelly's natural position is SS.

Reaction Score
Wright scratched until at least Tuesday with a neck injury. Sandy says it's a "concern"

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I want to drive to NYC and drive a stake through Utley's heart, and then get a gimp to go medieval on the ump who made the most ridiculous ejection in MLB history and delivered this game to LA on a platter.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Of course it turns out that the ump is a minor league ump who was filling in and looking to make a name for himself. Totally clueless.

I know it will never happen, but to indulge my fantasy, can anyone with legitimate baseball experience tell me if it is possible (in terms of physical preparations needed between starts, etc.) to bring Noah back in to pitch today, given how little he pitched yesterday? If the game is close, I'd love to see that happen in the middle or late innings.

Reaction Score
Of course it turns out that the ump is a minor league ump who was filling in and looking to make a name for himself. Totally clueless.

I know it will never happen, but to indulge my fantasy, can anyone with legitimate baseball experience tell me if it is possible (in terms of physical preparations needed between starts, etc.) to bring Noah back in to pitch today, given how little he pitched yesterday? If the game is close, I'd love to see that happen in the middle or late innings.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

If he wasn't already, he just became my favorite player.

I hope the game is close enough where this is a real chance. Kind of doubt it with Kershaw vs. Big Sexy though. That's why last night hurts. I had written off tonight in my mind heading into the series.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Doubt that's going to make him happy:
.159 NFA Campbell.
Wilmer: .179
Wilmer ain't right. He looks like his core is all messed up.
Campbell is just an auto out. Like having 2 pitchers in your batting lineup.

Reaction Score
I'm glad we got Loney. He's a good contact hitter. Good glove. With Wricghts neck and Dudas back, who knows what to expect from the corner production. I think he'll end up being a solid add for nothing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Loney was a great get for us. I don't see Campbell or Wilmer as anything other than backups.

Reaction Score
Wright out for an "extended period of time". I have never been a blind Wright supporter but.....if he can't play and Murph is gone. Who's the leader on this team? New guy Walker? Cespedes? D'Arnaud who can't stay healthy? Young Conforto?

Think about when Wright commented about Harvey not sticking around to talk to to press. That buried the issue. Who'd do that if he's gone?

Reaction Score
Wright out 6-8 weeks for rest and therapy. No surgery (yet). The corner positions are now out for a month and a half. D'Arnaud is rehabbing and Plawecki can't hit a lick. And here comes a week long road trip! Buckle up!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think we'll be fine with Loney at first for the time being, assuming he lives up to his history as a dependable contact hitter. We have enough power elsewhere so he should prove to be a decent complementary player for us.

D'Arnaud is close enough to returning that I don't expect us to be contemplating any catcher moves soon, other than sending Plawecki down when he returns, as Rivera is the better defensive catcher. If D'Arnaud is not back to full form by July that's something to watch by the trade deadline.

Third base is a problem. We need a better option there no matter what, as Wright's condition is chronic and will need to be managed for as long as he continues to play. Reynolds, Campbell and Flores are not the answers; and I don't like this thought of bringing Herrera up and moving Carpenter to third either.

Wheeler is due back by mid-July. If Harvey has truly righted himself by then, I think we have to consider whether there are any marquee third basemen and/or catchers who warrant consideration for trading him.

Of course, all of this assumes that we remain in contention until then, which I guess is your point, Deep.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom