The Official 2015 Red Sox Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Red Sox Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Here's another thread for Red Sox fans. In the early 80's the Red Sox had three left-handers in their starting rotation - Bruce Hurst, Bob Ojeda and John Tudor. It took time for each to develop but they all went on to have solid careers; unfortunately mostly with other teams. Is it possible that we are experiencing deja vu with Eduardo Rodriquez, Henry Owens and Brian Johnson?

I like what I've seen with Owens so far, but I'm very concerned with his control -- he had only a 1.85 K/BB ratio in AAA this year, and it's 1.4 so far in the majors. I'm very much a fan of his stuff, so if he can work on the accuracy I think he'd be a solid rotation piece. With Johnson, we shall see how the elbow is doing. As good as he's done in the minors, he seems to be a tad bit injury prone, which worries me as well. As far as E-Rod, I think that he has what it takes to be in a major league rotation long term. Yes he's had some very rough starts, but when he's at his best I think that it's up their with the best of anyone else on the staff.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Re. JBJ, there will teams out there who are desperate enough for outfield depth that a player like him would make sense. I could definitely see him as a defensive sub/pinch runner for an NL team. Hopefully Cherington's incoming replacement will be able to get some value for him.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Well damn...Farrell has cancer. Sending out some prayers for him and his family.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
These past two games have been bizarre to watch. Maybe they're putting in the extra mile for skipper, maybe it's just been clicking for guys like JBJ, Rusney, and Swihart. Most likely this will fade but it sure is fun to see them having some offensive success.

Reaction Score
These past two games have been bizarre to watch. Maybe they're putting in the extra mile for skipper, maybe it's just been clicking for guys like JBJ, Rusney, and Swihart. Most likely this will fade but it sure is fun to see them having some offensive success.

JBJ is on fire. Is he this good?

Reaction Score
Thank you Mau for inspiring JBJ

60s this is why you need to be patient.

FWIW the hitting coach said last week they convince him to give up a hitch in his swing.
No sure if the explanation is that simple but if so thank god.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Good riddance, Cherington. Let's see what Dombrowski can do to get us some pitching.

Reaction Score
Good riddance, Cherington. Let's see what Dombrowski can do to get us some pitching.
Dombrowski sells high on prospects, this move convinces me that Strasburg will be on his way to Boston this winter.

Reaction Score
Thank you Mau for inspiring JBJ

60s this is why you need to be patient.

FWIW the hitting coach said last week they convince him to give up a hitch in his swing.
No sure if the explanation is that simple but if so thank god.

He looked good for a week or so. Let's see some more before my inspiration means anything more than that huh?

Reaction Score
He looked good for a week or so. Let's see some more before my inspiration means anything more than that huh?
Don't sell yourself short. You inspire mere mortals like JBJ to do great things.

Hell, he just hit another HR tonight and made another top 10 catch on SC. Just another day in the life of JBJ and his best friend Mau

Reaction Score
yes they are and you're blind to that. 2 egomaniacs who at times think they are bigger than the game itself. You are not worth a conversation with until you see reality Stair - that's the plain truth.
To be fair, only one of them sued MLB, the players union, the Yankees team doctor and took part in leaking PED documents on teammates (Francisco Cervelli). I'll give you a hint, it's not Ortiz.
Regardless of what you think of Ortiz, A-Rod is regarded league wide as the biggest in MLB, if not sports. Fortunately for you the biggest is helping to carry your team.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what you think of Ortiz

Just wondering, why aren't you calling out Ortiz like you did ARod? Ortiz home-runs are traveling the farthest for him in 10 years and he has more HR and more RBI than Rodriguez. ARod is slowing down while Ortiz is getting better during the long season.

So is he using or is it just a magical season?

Reaction Score
Just wondering, why aren't you calling out Ortiz like you did ARod?

Because A-Rod is having his best OPS season in 7 years the year after he was just banned a season for being caught in the middle of the Biogenesis scandal.

If it makes you feel better, Ortiz's OPS has trended down the last 4 years.

Reaction Score
Don't sell yourself short. You inspire mere mortals like JBJ to do great things.

Hell, he just hit another HR tonight and made another top 10 catch on SC. Just another day in the life of JBJ and his best friend Mau

Top 10 catches all day, great outfielder. Let's talk when this continues into September and next year. Until then he has a lot to prove.

Reaction Score
To be fair, only one of them sued MLB, the players union, the Yankees team doctor and took part in leaking PED documents on teammates (Francisco Cervelli). I'll give you a hint, it's not Ortiz.
Regardless of what you think of Ortiz, A-Rod is regarded league wide as the biggest in MLB, if not sports. Fortunately for you the biggest is helping to carry your team.

He's regarded the biggest by you guys. And like it or not Ortiz is as large a and not half the baseball player. Again say what you want but asked to play 1st he doesn't want to, run out grounders he doesn't. ARod has never berated official scorers like fatty either so worried about his selfish sats.

Is he going to be mad they hired Dombrowski instead of him? I mean he thought he could do better than Cherington and ha the nerve to say so - he's a Viking and only an ignorant Sox fan would think otherwise.

Reaction Score
Just wondering, why aren't you calling out Ortiz like you did ARod? Ortiz home-runs are traveling the farthest for him in 10 years and he has more HR and more RBI than Rodriguez. ARod is slowing down while Ortiz is getting better during the long season.

So is he using or is it just a magical season?

Suddenly he's hotter than here piss huh? Clutch too.;)

Reaction Score
He's regarded the biggest by you guys. And like it or not Ortiz is as large a and not half the baseball player. Again say what you want but asked to play 1st he doesn't want to, run out grounders he doesn't. ARod has never berated official scorers like fatty either so worried about his selfish sats.

Is he going to be mad they hired Dombrowski instead of him? I mean he thought he could do better than Cherington and ha the nerve to say so - he's a Viking and only an ignorant Sox fan would think otherwise.
For Crissakes, YOU GUYS didn't even want anything to do with A-Rod before he started rippin bombs again this year. He wanted to meet with the Yankees before spring training AND THEY REFUSED.
Stop with the silly notion that Ortiz and A-Rod are on teh same level. He sued MLB and the players union and the NY doctor. He turned in a teammate for doing PED's. He's as big a piece of scum as the sport will ever see. The sport hates him....It's nice I guess that NY fans have done a completely 180 but whatever. Hell, there's even talk in one of the papers that the Yankees would consider retiring his number when he's done. Unbelievable. If I were a NY fan I'd be sickened by the fact that he'll likely pass Babe Ruth while wearing Ruth's pinstripes.
Pope Jeter is home dry-heaving every time he sees A-Rod hit another HR.

Reaction Score
For Crissakes, YOU GUYS didn't even want anything to do with A-Rod before he started rippin bombs again this year. He wanted to meet with the Yankees before spring training AND THEY REFUSED.
Stop with the silly notion that Ortiz and A-Rod are on teh same level. He sued MLB and the players union and the NY doctor. He turned in a teammate for doing PED's. He's as big a piece of scum as the sport will ever see. The sport hates him....It's nice I guess that NY fans have done a completely 180 but whatever. Hell, there's even talk in one of the papers that the Yankees would consider retiring his number when he's done. Unbelievable. If I were a NY fan I'd be sickened by the fact that he'll likely pass Babe Ruth while wearing Ruth's pinstripes.
Pope Jeter is home dry-heaving every time he sees A-Rod hit another HR.

I never liked ARod but he's wearing the stripes Vike c'mon and I admit he's not a great guy. Read it - my point is I admit it and most Yankee fans do but everyone roots for your uni, I have no issues with you rooting for Papi when he hits. My point is he's a HUGE and you guys are even blind to that. And yes, they ARE on the same level as people.

Reaction Score
Time for another direction. I am very happy that Ben is gone. He got lucky in 2013 but most of his decisions since then have turned out bad. When he took over, we were paying too much for certain players who were not earning their keep. (Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez). He didn't really change that, he just changed out the players (Hanley Ramirez, Pablo Sandoval, Rick Porcello) are just as bad. The one thing that I will give him credit for is that he did not let the prospects go. Mookie, Xander, Blake Swihart could be all-stars down the road. Looking good are Henry Owens, Eduardo Rodriquez, and maybe Brian Johnson. Jackie Bradley Jr. and Rusney are beginning to play well too. Based on Dombrowski's past record, he will trade one or more of the players mentioned above for some top of the line starter. We'll see.

Reaction Score
I never liked ARod but he's wearing the stripes Vike c'mon and I admit he's not a great guy. Read it - my point is I admit it and most Yankee fans do but everyone roots for your uni, I have no issues with you rooting for Papi when he hits. My point is he's a HUGE and you guys are even blind to that. And yes, they ARE on the same level as people.
Once or twice a year he will do something to make me shake my head, but I don't think he's come close to the things A-Rod has done. Obviously we aren't going to convince each other the other is right even though I'm right :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Time for another direction. I am very happy that Ben is gone. He got lucky in 2013 but most of his decisions since then have turned out bad. When he took over, we were paying too much for certain players who were not earning their keep. (Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez). He didn't really change that, he just changed out the players (Hanley Ramirez, Pablo Sandoval, Rick Porcello) are just as bad. The one thing that I will give him credit for is that he did not let the prospects go. Mookie, Xander, Blake Swihart could be all-stars down the road. Looking good are Henry Owens, Eduardo Rodriquez, and maybe Brian Johnson. Jackie Bradley Jr. and Rusney are beginning to play well too. Based on Dombrowski's past record, he will trade one or more of the players mentioned above for some top of the line starter. We'll see.
I agree although I don't think anyone in the world thought that those 3 would perform as poorly as they did this year.
Take away the salary of all three of those guys and it's really surprising that all 3 have dropped like they have. Porcello has lost command of his sinker and is giving up moon shots. He's only 26
Pablo has gone from gone from a solid offensive and defensive player to hideous at both this year. He's only 29.
Hanley's OBP has plummeted and his defense has been epically bad. You would assume that a SS - even a bad one - would be able to adjust to playing a short LF. He's only 31.

The only bright spot is these guys are only here for another 3-4 years after this year. Thank god he didn't give some comically stupid 6 or 7 year deal to any of these guys.

The minor league has a lot of bright spots, especially in the lower minors where they have an all-star infield worth of prospects and the OF they just drafted is lighting up the competition.

The thing DD has gotten credit for is he's done very well in trades. His FA record has been bad - although lets hope that's only because he had pressure to sign guys for old man Ilitch and he will change his ways here.
But I hope he doesn't start trading every young player. You see this past week where Owens, Rodriguez, Bradley, Shaw, Betts, Bogaerts, Swihart - they are all playing well and are all 25 and younger. I hope he shows discipline in keeping most of these guys here unless he can spin a couple for a really good young arm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul