The next round of conference expansion has begun | The Boneyard

The next round of conference expansion has begun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The next few weeks will be interesting. Missouri wants out of the Big 12, prefers the Big 10, but would "settle" for the SEC. The way I see it, if you believe 16 is the magic number for conferences, there are currently 3 spots in the SEC and 4 spots in the Big 10.

Here are the questions:

1) Will any ACC teams approach the SEC for membership before there are no more spots?
2) Will the Big 10 make an offer to Missouri for membership? Who would be 14?
3) will Oklahoma and Oklahoma St approach the SEC?
4) Will the Big 12 and BE merge?
5) Will ND finally join a conference?
6) Will some schools leave the BE to go to the Big 12?
7) Will the SEC accept Missouri or will they be denied like the PAC 12 denied Oklahoma and Oklahoma St as they have more attractive targets?
8) Does the PAC 12 respond and decide to expand? There are at least 2 Big 12 teams wanting to go.

The questions are endless, but we are going to start to get answers. I'm nervous for UConn, but I remain optimistic. Increased movement, I believe is positive for UConn.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Nelson Muntz, paging Nelson Muntz. Please pick up the white courtesy phone in the lobby.

Reaction Score
Spot on. Movement is good. Does Texas go with Tech to the pac10? Oklahoma to the SEC?

Does the Big 12 go big, some combo east and west, BYU, , Louisville, WVU, Cincy?

What's Fla State's realignment committee been up to? If mizzou #14, only two slots left in the SEC. Clemson, Fl State, OU, NC State, Va Tech...early bird gets the worm.

Reaction Score
Rumrunner - the early bird gets the worm analogy applies to Syracuse and Pitt as they jumped before someone else did. BCS could go to 3 bids max per conference vs 2 today which means no reason for conferences to not go to 16.

Reaction Score
If Mizzu goes SEC then the Big12 can grab BYU and its choice of BE teams to get to where it wants. (BE teams see: Lville, Cinnci WVU in that order)

If Mizzu gets the B1G to bite and goes there then all hell breaks loose as the SEC and B1G are at 13 and the Big12is in trouble.

Either way the BE is done as a fball conference but this has been a for gone conclusion since . . . . well . . . . it started off as a bball only conference and then turned down Penn St.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nelson Muntz, paging Nelson Muntz. Please pick up the white courtesy phone in the lobby.

Looking forward to renewing our rivalries with New Hampshire and UMass.

Reaction Score
Do we have to beg New Hampshire to play us?

Syracuse and Pitt are playing in the Big East for two seasons after this one unless there isn't a conference to play in. There is time for this to be resolved. It will be. (How, I have no idea, but it will be.)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do we have to beg New Hampshire to play us?

Syracuse and Pitt are playing in the Big East for two seasons after this one unless there isn't a conference to play in. There is time for this to be resolved. It will be. (How, I have no idea, but it will be.)

What will be resolved? If the Big East had held tight, it would be in a position to negotiate a merger of equals with the Big 12 right now. That's not gonna happen because the Big East is not a conference but rather 7 free agents.

I am just hoping for expansion chaos. Hope for Oklahoma to publicly flirt with the SEC or Pac 12 or wherever, or maybe Texahoma gives up their silly demands around the LHN and the Pac 12 becomes the first super-conference. Anything but the logical next step in this, which is Louisville, Cincinnati, TCU and WVU to join the Big 12, and everyone stops there.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
So New Hampshire will move their program to 1-A only if Oklahoma decides to stay in the flaming trainwreck that is the Big 12. Oklahoma WILL NOT move until UNH is added to the Big East.

Either that, or outside events are not as interconnected as people think. UConn is a valuable commodity; what Missouri, etc al decides to do will not change that. We will be fine.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-tigers-curators-vote-consider-leaving-big-12

It looks like BE is finished if Missouri leaves the B12 for the SEC and B12 starts to pick off BE schools. If Missouri does leave and B12 expands with BYU, UL, WVU and Cincy, BE is done.

UCONN's best hope right now is to have a merger between the B12 and the BE. Otherwise, we are done and will most likely look at independence as the only option if ACC does not come calling. BE could be left with just UCONN, RU, USF and TCU.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Mizzou to SEC. Then the B1G makes it's master stroke. ND joins and then UConn, RU and BC make the jump to the B1G, too. RU and UConn help tie up the NYC market. BC joins as a rival for ND and NE market. In addition, BC gets out of it unenviable position in the ACC. Cuse and Pitt are left dangling as the odd stepchildren in the ACC and twist in the wind for a couple of years.

Hey, I can dream...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Missouri is gone.

B12 adds: WVU, Louisville, USF and UCF. Florida is worth developing says the B12. BYU says no.

New BE

East
UConn
Rutgers
Cincy
Navy
Nova
ECU

West
TCU
Boise
SMU
Houston
Air Force
Troy

Reaction Score
I still can't figure out why the Northeast football schools don't form the all new:
Big North Conference:

West Div- Notre Dame, Pitt, Penn St, Syracuse, Cincy, Louisville, W. Virginia

East Div- BC, Temple, Rutgers, UConn, Maryland, Army, Navy

Talk about TV appeal. What network wouldn't jump on something like that? The BCS bid is secured. Penn St & Notre Dame have a better chance at a BCS Bowl game than they would in the Big10. Tell me that conference wouldn't be one of the top four super conferences. Travel wise for fans and student athletes it makes more sense than a Big 12/Big East merger and even more sense than the existing Big East. You have your conference tourney game. In basketball they could make a case for MSG as the remaining BBall only schools in the Big East couldn't hold a candle to this conference as far as fan appeal. You have nine or ten conference games and still room for a couple out of conference games to knock off the big boys in other conferences. To me forming a new conference makes the most sense financially for all the schools involved.

Somebody please wake up and form the Big North Conference.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
I still can't figure out why the Northeast football schools don't form the all new:
Big North Conference:

Talk about TV appeal. What network wouldn't jump on something like that? The BCS bid is secured. Penn St & Notre Dame have a better chance at a BCS Bowl game than they would in the Big10. quote]

Can you guarantee a school like Penn State 25MM in annual TV revenue it gets from the B1G network?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Big North Conference:

Talk about TV appeal. What network wouldn't jump on something like that? The BCS bid is secured. Penn St & Notre Dame have a better chance at a BCS Bowl game than they would in the Big10. Tell me that conference wouldn't be one of the top four super conferences. Travel wise for fans and student athletes it makes more sense than a Big 12/Big East merger and even more sense than the existing Big East. You have your conference tourney game. In basketball they could make a case for MSG as the remaining BBall only schools in the Big East couldn't hold a candle to this conference as far as fan appeal. You have nine or ten conference games and still room for a couple out of conference games to knock off the big boys in other conferences. To me forming a new conference makes the most sense financially for all the schools involved.

Somebody please wake up and form the Big North Conference.

Risk vs. Reward.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
You can't have the service academies for basketball. They have height restrictions and would get slaughtered in hoops.

Reaction Score
You can't have the service academies for basketball. They have height restrictions and would get slaughtered in hoops.

That's a load of crap! Not everyone in the Navy serves on a submarine or flies a jet. When I was in the Army there was no height restrictions and I doubt there is any now. Maybe their basketball teams might struggle at first but so did UConn till the right people were put in place (Calhoun, Aureimma). besides, as everyone likes to say here, football drives the bus and I don't think there is a height restriction on their football teams. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd need to see proof first. Still.... a northern conference makes more sense than a scattered Big East(TCU, USF) or a Big12/Big East merger. Besides basketball and football a league like that would be excellent in both men's and women's soccer and the Olympic sports(UConn has been coming along nicely as of late even though they get little notice).

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
David Robinson says you are full of it. :p

Reaction Score
David Robinson says you are full of it. :p

I'm not sure if the height restrictions are still in place, but they were when Robinson played at Navy. You couldn't be over 6'7" and get into the service academies. However, he was 6'7" when he enrolled, and then grew another 4 inches.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if the height restrictions are still in place, but they were when Robinson played at Navy. You couldn't be over 6'7" and get into the service academies. However, he was 6'7" when he enrolled, and then grew another 4 inches.

Cool didn't know that. That's actually pretty hilarious. That being said... you can survive in college basketball with a 6'7" center. The bigger issue is that they play in the Patriot league... and outside of an occasional Bucknell team that's pretty good.. they don't have much competition and still rarely win the thing. I think they're pretty happy with their Olympic sports in the Patriot League... I've never really got what the upside was for Navy or Army to join the Big East.. I understand why the Big East as a hybrid would love to have them.

Reaction Score
Cool didn't know that. That's actually pretty hilarious. That being said... you can survive in college basketball with a 6'7" center. The bigger issue is that they play in the Patriot league... and outside of an occasional Bucknell team that's pretty good.. they don't have much competition and still rarely win the thing. I think they're pretty happy with their Olympic sports in the Patriot League... I've never really got what the upside was for Navy or Army to join the Big East.. I understand why the Big East as a hybrid would love to have them.

You are correct. Which is why they have no interest in joining the Big East in anything other than football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom