The Newsroom... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Newsroom...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought it was a solid season. Not as good as the first, but still good.

I liked it a lot better than the first until the last 15 minutes of the last episode. I will wait a few days in case anyone is going to watch a rerun or on-demand, but Newsroom violated a cardinal rule of plot pacing for a series.

I liked the presentation of the season as a major screw up through the eyes of the lawyer. Pretty original way to narrate a season.

The episode where everyone realizes that Dantana had screwed up with major consequences to all of them was perfectly done. I have been around professional situations where a member of a team screws up massively. It is very hard to explain that feeling of fear and rage and helplessness that everyone on the team feels. The show nailed it.

Reaction Score
I liked it a lot better than the first until the last 15 minutes of the last episode. I will wait a few days in case anyone is going to watch a rerun or on-demand, but Newsroom violated a cardinal rule of plot pacing for a series.

I liked the presentation of the season as a major screw up through the eyes of the lawyer. Pretty original way to narrate a season.

The episode where everyone realizes that Dantana had screwed up with major consequences to all of them was perfectly done. I have been around professional situations where a member of a team screws up massively. It is very hard to explain that feeling of fear and rage and helplessness that everyone on the team feels. The show nailed it.

I agree. I also liked the fact I was able to look at Marcia Gay Harden for several weeks :)

They went a little too flimsy on the ending, but I can overlook that in the big picture. Imagine a major news organization admitting they were wrong.....

Reaction Score
ending, what ever, but over all the season was better than the first.

the show is still a hot mess though, unfulfilled potential

Reaction Score
I watched the last episode. Every character is just so self absorbed. None of them are even remotely likeable. Pass.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

The problem I had with the end of the season is that putting Will and Mack together destroys the show. You can't continue sexual tension if they are a happy, or unhappy, couple. Putting the two leads together is something you do in the final episode of the series, not the final one of the second season. I have seen reviews in the last day that acknowledged the same issue, and are questioning whether the show will be back. I suspect that a 12 month return is off the table, but maybe by year end next year. Sorkin has multiple projects, and may be tired of TV.

I think the show has about an 80% chance of returning, but I would also not be surprised if it gets delayed until the actors wander off.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I imagine that HBO will be pretty angry with Sorkin if he is hanging it up on Newsroom. Newroom is one of those rare syndicatable shows on HBO. There is no nudity, and the bad language is few and far between. On broadcast television, many shows are more profitable for the network and the producers in syndication than they were in their original run. A show like Friends was probably not that profitable during its original run because of the high salaries of the cast, but has made a fortune in syndication. Most HBO shows do not translate well to syndication because of the violence, sex and bad language. It was strange watching the Sopranos when it was on A&E on Sunday mornings. Entourage had a short run on Spike, and I think it is off the air now. I don't see how Game of Thrones will translate into syndication either.

Newsroom could do it, and I suspect it is a pretty expensive show to produce with Daniels, Waterston, Fonda and Emily Mortimer. So HBO will be pretty PO'd if Sorkin quits now.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Newsroom is what it is: Entertainment. If you don't like it, don't watch it. If you think it is a disdainful series, don't follow dedicated threads. If you hate it with every fiber of your being, don't post on it. It's like a person saying that shimp or lobsters are disgusting and they can't fathom how anyone can like them when that person has an allergy. There are well over 100 HD channels on cable that are "free," let alone premium, and quite a few channels that are still in standard def with no HD counterpart, plus On Demand.

...Strike that. You can do whatever you want, but I personally try to avoid things that make me nauseous or put me in a bad mood, especially on a Sunday Night (though truth be told, I I rarely watch it live)...To each their own...

I agree with Nelson in that the last part of the the Season 2 finale - though I would limit it to the last 5 minutes - was terrible. Overall I like the show. McKenzie can get on my nerves, but (for example) I liked the back and forth between the Taylor Warren and Will about what it means to be a modern day Republican and I found the resignation scene between Charlie and Reece to be humorous. I don't know how long the relationship between them will last, or if it will even make it to the third season. It probably will because I think Season two picked up where 1 left off. I also think that Season 3 will happen, but it may not be until 2015. I also feel that Maggie (Alison Pill) will be a prominent character in Season 3. She has her personal issues (cut off and died her own hair). and she was the one that clicked on the news alert. There are two things I feel are preventing HBO from announcing the 3rd season: 1) The obvious one is Aaron Sorkin's schedule. On the other hand Sorkin could ease up on his writing duties for The Newsroom and just serve as executive producer. Another thing to consider is what has really happened in since November 2012 around which to warrant creating a full season?

I don't see the actors wandering off. Both John Hamm and January Jones have been prominently featured in many a separate project during Mad Men's hiatuses. We shall see.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Reece vs. Skinner is one of the most interesting conflicts. The struggle between Profit vs. Quality is a core theme of the show.

Season 1 Mackenzie was a bimbo that was not credible as an EP. Season 2 MacKenzie was completely credible as EP.

I like the witchy Washington anchor. I hope she has a bigger role next season.

Reaction Score
Now that Sloan has figured out who bought her book at auction, look for the sparks to really fly. That repressed relationship needs to take on a life of its own.

Reaction Score
Every female character on the show ranks among the worst female characters created for a cable drama. They all suck

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Every female character on the show ranks among the worst female characters created for a cable drama. They all suck
see above.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom