The new Vandy coach will be...[merged thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The new Vandy coach will be...[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hopefully this removes Peck from her announcing career.

Some have speculated about White moving to the college game, I was surprised like many as it seemed like she was going the wnba route.
As for the question of "Why Vanderbilt?"
Well the story goes that before White committed to Purdue, the weekend before, she took a secret trip to Vanderbilt. Wanted to make sure about the choice I guess. (this appeared in the local paper)

Now the rumor after that was that her parents wanted her to go to Purdue, but she was leaning towards going to Vandy. True or not, I don't know, but it seems she has always had some interest at Vandy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So much for the 1-2-3-4-5 categorization of bb positions that many "experts" cling to. I have long thought it (to be polite) excessively rigid while observing Geno ignore it for years. Time to let it go - unless you are Chris Russo.:rolleyes:
Yeah - no more centers until you get a player like Butler or Paris or Griner or Dolson or Bone or Fowles or ... and suddenly having a back to the basket unstoppable force in the paint seems like a brilliant idea. Especially in the college game which I doubt will ever outlaw zone defense. You go with what you have - if you have a Niya Johnson who isn't a great shooting threat but can pass up a storm, you suddenly really like PGs. You have an Eliott on your roster and power forward becomes a really useful position. KML - sound like a three to me.
The more versatile the players on your roster the less meaningful the designations are and the more creative your offense can become - but if you want to play Kiah Stokes (and that's a lot of talent to leave sitting on the bench) you better know how to use a 4/5 type player effectively.
If you are Muffet or Dawn and want to go with the HS thinking on Turner and Wilson that they can be really effective playing out on the arc, great! As your opposing coach I say I am all for it, as I move into the winners circle!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

The other side of this is that it removes Ms. White from being an analyst on college games. I think she was excellent--I don't know of anyone better.

What basketball gives, basketball takes away . . .

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Permit a minority opinion, I have always thought that much of the criticism of Peck was either very nit-picky or over the top. Yes, she was flawed and not as astute as Doris or, yes, Stephanie White. But tolerable, if quirky. Given her combination of name recognition, personal charm, and background in coaching, she will be a lights out recruiter.

Just my minority view.;)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The more versatile the players on your roster the less meaningful the designations are and the more creative your offense can become

Ding, ding, ding--there's the salient point.

Further argument that next year's team will be fun. And I bet Geno and CD will have fun, too. (they'll probably not admit it . . . )

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This changes some recruiting conversations drastically. Vandy now can boast of a coaching staff that includes a coach who has won a National championship, A Player who won NC as a player (same at ND) + NPOY (unmatched) + WNBA experience (also unmatched). I would not be the least surprised to see recruits that had only had Duke and Stanford as choices consider Vandy now.

Reaction Score
I'm speculating it won't be a long-term deal - can't imagine Peck wants to be an assistant coach on an ongoing basis. Suspect she's just doing a solid for 1) her alma mater, and 2) the Wade Trophy star on her NC team at Purdue, by bridging the gap til the WNBA season is over. Great plan by all!

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
I'm so glad Vandy hired Peck. Now, at least, I no longer have to listen to her as an analyst. Now, if only some men's team would hire Dick Vitale as a coach.
with you 100%

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Now, if only some men's team would hire Dick Vitale as a coach.

The Detroit Pistons did it. On Dickie V's watch Red Auerbach pullled one of the all-time great heists. He basically dumped Joe Barry Carroll on Vitale and stole Robert Parrish and Kevin McHale in return. Vitale left the bench for a seat by a mic soon thereafter.;)

Reaction Score
I'm so glad Vandy hired Peck. Now, at least, I no longer have to listen to her as an analyst. Now, if only some men's team would hire Dick Vitale as a coach.

Be careful what you wish for. The departure of white and peck could free up Nell fortner. She makes Peck sound like the greatest orator ever.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This changes some recruiting conversations drastically. Vandy now can boast of a coaching staff that includes a coach who has won a National championship, A Player who won NC as a player (same at ND) + NPOY (unmatched) + WNBA experience (also unmatched). I would not be the least surprised to see recruits that had only had Duke and Stanford as choices consider Vandy now.

And, as discussed at some point, White & Peck are not exactly walking into a empty cupboard -- Melanie Balcomb's last recruiting class is currently 18th in the HoopGurlz Top 20 recruiting classes, and the six-person class includes two five-star wings/small forwards. It was the highest-rated SEC class this year and, apparently, most of them are still intending to attend. So, White/Peck could be attacking on a few fronts there (SEC, private school, etc.)

Women's Basketball

Reaction Score
Great Hire for Vandy. With Carolyn Peck as the Associate Head Coach, she'll be out recruiting this summer while Stephanie White is fulfilling her Fever HC Responsibilities.
I didn't follow her recruiting or career much at Florida, but she definitely wasn't a great recruiter at Purdue. If I recall correctly, she recruited 1 player the year of the championship team, who transferred out after about a handful of games. Also a JC guard may have been her other recruit, but in 2 years as a head coach, that's not a lot of players.
I think she was more right person, right time than anything at Purdue. Fortner basically walked away from a potential NCAA championship, and I was very impressed with how she managed to get the most out of a team in her 1 year there with all the drama and defections around the Lin Dunn situation.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Peck didn't impress me much as a coach, based on one game that yes, she won (the year of the NC). Beat RU in the Elite 8? in Normal, IL IIRC. In any case, she seemed to "rah rah" them to success while RU collapsed. I only remember one other such epic collapse, against UConn in Greesboro, but that was due to UConn's head coach, and not in spite of the HC as seemed the case with Purdue.

Reaction Score
Peck didn't impress me much as a coach, based on one game that yes, she won (the year of the NC). Beat RU in the Elite 8? in Normal, IL IIRC. In any case, she seemed to "rah rah" them to success while RU collapsed. I only remember one other such epic collapse, against UConn in Greesboro, but that was due to UConn's head coach, and not in spite of the HC as seemed the case with Purdue.
Yes beat Rutgers in Elite 8. Peck said a couple of times that basically her job was to put 5 players on the floor and not screw it up, or something to that effect.
I think her time in the WNBA, and her stint at Florida are better indicators of her coaching abilities than her 2 years at Purdue with a roster of players of Lin Dunn and Nell Fortner recruits.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm actually a huge fan of White/Peck coming to the SEC.. High quality coaches going after higher quality players will hopefully lead to better games.

The SEC got better with White joining the league and a competitive Vandy will push the schools like SC, Tennessee, Kentucky, Miss State, LSU, UGA etc.. leading to a better overall league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom