The Matrix | The Boneyard

The Matrix

Reaction Score
Watched The Matrix last night again (it was on TV) – I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve seen it. I’ve heard people say it’s long in the tooth, but I am still blown away by the film’s visuals. I especially love the entire segment when Neo and Trinity go into the office building and right through to the ending. Wow, what a great film. Not any huge Keanu Reeves fan, but he’s really perfectly cast – the entire cast is great. It’s definitely turned into one of those films that, similar to The Godfather, I *must* stop on if I see it while channel surfing. Just wish the sequels were worth watching – I’ve never even been able to sit all the way through them they are so bad.

Reaction Score
There's a decent theory out there that Smith is the One

a little confusing to me since I barely got through the two sequels (I honestly cannot recall if I ever sat through the entire length of Revolutions), but I see where they're going with it.

Reaction Score
a little confusing to me since I barely got through the two sequels (I honestly cannot recall if I ever sat through the entire length of Revolutions), but I see where they're going with it.
It mostly works off Morpheus's story of who he believed the One was, and who Neo was a reincarnation of; and how Smith much more accurately fits the description

Reaction Score
Big fan of the Matrix Trilogy. I thought Revolutions was the worst of a good storyline.

Will Smith turned down the role of Neo. Sean Connary turned dpwn the role of Morpheus. The first is just funny movie trivia, the second did touch the plot a little. I can't imagine anyone other than Fishburne in the role, but i remember watching the first movie the second time and thinking Morpheus should be older. Still it worked.

Reaction Score
Big fan of the Matrix Trilogy. I thought Revolutions was the worst of a good storyline.

Will Smith turned down the role of Neo. Sean Connary turned dpwn the role of Morpheus. The first is just funny movie trivia, the second did touch the plot a little. I can't imagine anyone other than Fishburne in the role, but i remember watching the first movie the second time and thinking Morpheus should be older. Still it worked.
LMAO imagine 70 year old Connery in the dojo scene

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
LMAO imagine 70 year old Connery in the dojo scene
It would be different but it still could work. Picture Neo doing all kinds of moves and Morpheus defecting them effortlessly.

Conceptually Will Smith and Connery would work, and work well IMO, but the movie would have an entirely different feel.

My problem with the Matrix Trilogy is that Neo's gift is his ability to manipulate the Matrix without being limited by rules. After the first movie, Neo should be omnipotent within the Matrix but in the sequels he is powerful but still limited. It kind of takes the shine off the last two for me.

Reaction Score
It would be different but it still could work. Picture Neo doing all kinds of moves and Morpheus defecting them effortlessly.

Conceptually Will Smith and Connery would work, and work well IMO, but the movie would have an entirely different feel.

My problem with the Matrix Trilogy is that Neo's gift is his ability to manipulate the Matrix without being limited by rules. After the first movie, Neo should be omnipotent within the Matrix but in the sequels he is powerful but still limited. It kind of takes the shine off the last two for me.
And Smith takes over the whole Matrix, controls it, bends it to his will, changes it as he saw fit. And he is ultimately the one who is responsible for its destruction.

When Neo made it to the Source, he got plugged in to it, as was prophesied the One was meant to do. Well, while Neo was jacked in to the Source, Smith linked himself in to Neo and, through him, got plugged in to the Source, setting off the final chain reaction. There was no beating Smith, as Neo slowly realized, so he let himself lose. Smith's victory is what destroyed the Matrix.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
It mostly works off Morpheus's story of who he believed the One was, and who Neo was a reincarnation of; and how Smith much more accurately fits the description
Neo is +1 and Smith is -1 is the general summary I've seen. To have balance you need to have equal opposites, etc.

Anyway, I've seen The Matrix dozens of times. There's so much awesome cinematography in it that every scene for me is just awesome. Most of it is known trivia but there are some things that are less trivia and more technique-ish. Like when Neo says "There is no spoon" and shoots the elevator cable, the camera is fixed on them while they rocket through the elevator shaft, making it look like the elevator shaft is actually moving around them (which it is, since none of it is real). Stuff like that is why I love the movie so much.

My favorite bit of trivia about the cast is that the "There is no spoon" kid made the final round of auditions for the titular Harry Potter. Instead he ended up not doing much.

Another fun fact is that Connery turned the role down of Morpheus because he basically didn't understand the movie and why anyone would like it. After seeing the success it had, he decided he was going to take the next script he was offered where he had a similar reaction. That ended up being The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen which had horrible reviews. He hasn't appeared in a new movie since.

He fends off literally hundreds of Smiths which would be the equivalent of Superman fending off hundreds of super villains. I guess he's limited in the sense that he can't explode people with his mind, but part of that has to be attributed to the machines/programs also being virtually omnipotent themselves. If Neo was able to do that, the agents would have to be as well, and then we're right back to square one.

Having said that, the second and third movies weren't very good. I mean I guess they were alright but there's no way they stand up to how good the original was. I have a hard time rewatching them while I'll basically watch the original any time it's on TV.

Reaction Score
Neo is +1 and Smith is -1 is the general summary I've seen. To have balance you need to have equal opposites, etc.

Anyway, I've seen The Matrix dozens of times. There's so much awesome cinematography in it that every scene for me is just awesome. Most of it is known trivia but there are some things that are less trivia and more technique-ish. Like when Neo says "There is no spoon" and shoots the elevator cable, the camera is fixed on them while they rocket through the elevator shaft, making it look like the elevator shaft is actually moving around them (which it is, since none of it is real). Stuff like that is why I love the movie so much.

My favorite bit of trivia about the cast is that the "There is no spoon" kid made the final round of auditions for the titular Harry Potter. Instead he ended up not doing much.

Another fun fact is that Connery turned the role down of Morpheus because he basically didn't understand the movie and why anyone would like it. After seeing the success it had, he decided he was going to take the next script he was offered where he had a similar reaction. That ended up being The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen which had horrible reviews. He hasn't appeared in a new movie since.

He fends off literally hundreds of Smiths which would be the equivalent of Superman fending off hundreds of super villains. I guess he's limited in the sense that he can't explode people with his mind, but part of that has to be attributed to the machines/programs also being virtually omnipotent themselves. If Neo was able to do that, the agents would have to be as well, and then we're right back to square one.

Having said that, the second and third movies weren't very good. I mean I guess they were alright but there's no way they stand up to how good the original was. I have a hard time rewatching them while I'll basically watch the original any time it's on TV.

it's been a few years, but I remember struggling through the second one, and never making it through the third in a "I can't do this anymore" sort of turning off of the TV.

CL82

Reaction Score
@mets1090 In a world "without rules, without limitations" he wouldn't need to fight 100 Smiths just like he wouldn't need to dodge bullets.

I'm pretty good about suspending disbelief for a movie, so long as they are internally consistent, but I lose interest when they aren't. It's a frequent problem with sequels, where they try to "improve" or ignore the original mythology. The first Matrix is a really good movie.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
@mets1090 In a world "without rules, without limitations" he wouldn't need to fight 100 Smiths just like he wouldn't need to dodge bullets.

I'm pretty good about suspending disbelief for a movie, so long as they are internally consistent, but I lose interest when they aren't. It's a frequent problem with sequels, where they try to "improve" or ignore the original mythology. The first Matrix is a really good movie.
I would lean more towards the "some can be bent, others can be broken" quote with regards to the rules/limitations within the matrix. On the other hand, if there truly were no limitations, the sequels would be even more lame because it would be as simple as Neo going in and just insta-killing everyone in their path. I mean...what's the point. I just think we shouldn't get too hung up on that kind of stuff.

Edit: I do see your point though. Where do the upper limits come from in a computer world? Just think it would make for a worse movie so we have no choice to accept it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Will Smith as Neo would have sucked. Keanu's lack of acting ability actually made him a better Neo, imo. He's good in this because he doesn't have to say much.

Reaction Score
Will Smith as Neo would have sucked. Keanu's lack of acting ability actually made him a better Neo, imo. He's good in this because he doesn't have to say much.

Funny, Will Smith agrees with you. He is quoted as saying " i would have ruined the Matrix."

I think he would have been great, but can argue with the actor himself.

CL82

Reaction Score
I would lean more towards the "some can be bent, others can be broken" quote with regards to the rules/limitations within the matrix.
Yep those are the limitations of the Matrix for everyone but 'the one', who has no limitations.

It would have been a different movie, funnier, more wry. Give and take between Smith and Connery would have been entertaining. I agree though the 'waking dream' aspect of the movie created by Reeves and Fishburne would have been lost. Definitely a better movie with the existing casting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom