The Leftovers | The Boneyard

The Leftovers

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not feeling it with this series. Kind of like Luck in that it is trying too hard to be deep and serious. Will give it a couple of more episodes before bailing.

Reaction Score
Yeah feels the same way. first episode wasn't great. I will give it some time however because i didn't like the first episode of True Detective and ended up loving the series

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I like it.

I thought it moved well despite being a first episode - there's a lot of exposition to get out of the way in a pilot and I thought it was well-done.

Compare it to Penny Dreadful which basically took eight episodes to do, well, nothing.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
From all the reviews I've read it seems that you need to get to ep 4 and then people will be hooked. Im giving it a shot. First episode was ok. Has potential.

. I liked luck, would've been interesting to see where that went if tgey didn't kill off 1/2 the horse population making the show.

Reaction Score
I've been watching, and slowly becoming more and more disinterested. I'm going to stay with the season only because I want to know what happened, but I'd never suggest it to a friend. It's all over the place.

Halt and Catch Fire is much better.

Reaction Score
I've been watching, and slowly becoming more and more disinterested. I'm going to stay with the season only because I want to know what happened, but I'd never suggest it to a friend. It's all over the place..
I feel exactly the same way. Like you, I'm going to stick with it thru the 1st season before deciding if i stick with it or not. Jury is still out for me.

Reaction Score
This show has a bunch going for it. For one, Justin Theroux is hardly ever involved in anything that is truly bad and this is kind of a different role for him. The rest of the cast is really strong as well. But I have a feeling that this is one where people have to stick with it for a while before the hook is really set and sometimes those shows have a short lifespan.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was higher on the show than most people, but I have to admit that last night's episode was pretty bad.

You would have to try really hard to come up with a more pointless character than the police chief's daughter or a more pointless device than having the all in white people chain-smoking.

Reaction Score
I was higher on the show than most people, but I have to admit that last night's episode was pretty bad.

You would have to try really hard to come up with a more pointless character than the police chief's daughter or a more pointless device than having the all in white people chain-smoking.

You and I were probably the only two people who like John from Cincy. I am just going to hope this is some kind of a slow boil.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You and I were probably the only two people who like John from Cincy. I am just going to hope this is some kind of a slow boil.

It's tracking eerily like JfC....quirky, a little slow and with a vague, hard to pin down spiritual aspect.

If there's one thing about HBO, it's that this is the kind of show that doesn't appeal to whoever makes the decision whether to cancel or renew. Deadwood, John from Cincinnati...you don't get a lot of leeway unless your show fits HBO's worldview. (No other way to explain "Treme".)

Reaction Score
It's tracking eerily like JfC....quirky, a little slow and with a vague, hard to pin down spiritual aspect.

If there's one thing about HBO, it's that this is the kind of show that doesn't appeal to whoever makes the decision whether to cancel or renew. Deadwood, John from Cincinnati...you don't get a lot of leeway unless your show fits HBO's worldview. (No other way to explain "Treme".)

Never watched Treme, and I never will.

Reaction Score
I read the book awhile ago. No spoilers here. I've been a reader of Perrotta forever starting with the very funny Bad Haircut (stories of growing up in burbs in 70's), Wishbones is great, Election ok, Little Children good (movie mostly missed mark), Abstinence Teacher ok. The Leftovers was good, but its largely metaphorical and the book at least isn't interested in the how or why of the disappearance. I bet Lindelof picked the series for that reason. Perrotta writes about his life experiences which are currently being a Dad in nice suburbs (Belmont, MA). So like the book, the series is likely to be an exploration of why we are here and how we do things through this clarity window of an extreme event. The Abstinence Teacher that came right before this was a lot about a born-again Christian juxtaposed with someone just living their life. So he's interested in the theme of religion and exploring is there a God and what is faith for.

Coincidentally, I've just seen episode #3 so far about the priest. Didn't give me much of an idea about the show since it was just the one character, but matched book tone with bleakness interspersed with some muted hopefulness when humans make things simple & take into their own hands.
In the book I found the white cigarette smoking cult unrealistic and really frustrating. Perhaps it was a necessary extreme to present the wife's grief reaction but I just never bought that anyone would do that. They are intended to be frustrating and annoying so I guess it works - get used to it.

Reaction Score
I was as high on the show as Fishy initially, it's been mostly downhill since the first episode. I watched the first 2 episodes of the Tyrant last night and I may not finish the season for the Leftovers. Tyrant, so far, is more interesting.

Reaction Score
I was as high on the show as Fishy initially, it's been mostly downhill since the first episode. I watched the first 2 episodes of the Tyrant last night and I may not finish the season for the Leftovers. Tyrant, so far, is more interesting.

I was just going to make a seperate thread on Tyrant. Tyrant is an example of a great idea executed poorly. I have given up after three episodes. It's just ...... awful. The only good actor on the show is the guy who plays Jamal. The Barry/Bassam character is just completely boring.

Reaction Score

What is HBO's worldview? I like Treme and John from Cincinnati, Im giving The Leftovers a chance but it doesn't really seem to be going anywhere and I don't have much faith in Peter Berg.

Reaction Score
I was just going to make a seperate thread on Tyrant. Tyrant is an example of a great idea executed poorly. I have given up after three episodes. It's just . awful. The only good actor on the show is the guy who plays Jamal. The Barry/Bassam character is just completely boring.

That sucks, but I'm gonna give it a chance. I'm ok with moderately bad acting if the story/show is captivating/interesting enough.

Reaction Score
Ok caught up on The Leftovers and still not sure……something is keeping me somewhat interested but I can't even figure out what it is……..loved Justin T needing to know about the bagels vanishing but if that's what's going to keep me entertained I'm not sure how long I will last?

Reaction Score
I thought last nights episode was better - a little more entertaining, but the show still feels very disjointed - to me at least.

Reaction Score
I thought last nights episode was better - a little more entertaining, but the show still feels very disjointed - to me at least.

I thought that was the best one yet. Definitely with the most interesting character in focus.

Reaction Score
This show is like a girl that's a 7 and would be a 9 if she dropped 20 pounds and gained a personality.

Reaction Score
I like last night's episode, it was interesting and I partly liked it because the whole episode revolved around Nora Durst, I find her very attractive.

Reaction Score
Just finished last night's ep. Best one yet. Hang in there.

Ray Donovan was great last night also. Look forward to my train rides on Monday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom