The "Jalen Deserves his Own Thread" Thread . . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The "Jalen Deserves his Own Thread" Thread . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw Jalen play last year and was immediately sold on him. There is an adjustment period for any player. But he is that caliber of player to learn and improve with each game. Was just watching the UNC Louisville game and was very impressed with his ex teammate Donovan Mitchell. I saw him play but Adams was definitely the man on Brewster. Knowing they duked it out in practice every day definitely helped him get ready for this year and the huge games to come. Expect some big games from him coming soon. Next year he will be scary, he can shoot the 3 but lost his confidence this year. I expect next year that will not be the case.

Reaction Score
I love what JA brings to the game. I also hear Mambo Number 5 in my head everytime I see him play. This season plus all the basketball, S+C better cardio and a nice dose of AG and I think his game will take off next year

Reaction Score
I love what JA brings to the game. I also hear Mambo Number 5 in my head everytime I see him play. This season plus all the basketball, S+C better cardio and a nice dose of AG and I think his game will take off next year
He just needs a jump shot.

Reaction Score
Yes, yes. He should be running the team. He eliminates some of the stagnation that exists when Gibbs and Purvis pass the ball back and forth on the perimeter for 15 seconds of the shot clock. Let him bring it up and let Gibbs and Purvis get open on screens for jump shots. He's going to make mistakes, but he's still the best option.

Right on the mark. The balance here is getting him enough minutes where he is ready for March, while not letting his down games contribute to L's and keep us out of the tourney. He is going to have great games and freshman games, but we need to win in both scenarios until he can get more consistent. He will open up space on the floor for DHam, give us a true blow-by guard and change the entire approach on offense.

Reaction Score
Bump.....

He played great today. He looked to be in complete control and I honestly don't think I felt comfortable with anyone handling the ball other than him! Really making strides and becoming the point guard we expected. He's growing up before our eyes fellas!

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
goshdarn Elmore jinxed him by saying he only had 1 turnover.... cuz then he immediately turned the ball over and missed a dunk (he should have layed in) within 3 possessions.

But yes, Adams and Hamilton controlling the ball with Gibbs playing off the ball has made us a better offensive team. If we hit just our 3-pt shots at an average clip tonight, we beat Memphis by 30.

Reaction Score
He seemed to be in most of the game today and we appear to play better with him on the floor. I noticed he was directing traffic with a lot of the other players on offense and defense. A few freshman mistakes as can be expected but a nice game.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Bump.....

He played great today. He looked to be in complete control and I honestly don't think I felt comfortable with anyone handling the ball other than him! Really making strides and becoming the point guard we expected. He's growing up before our eyes fellas!

If anything, I would have liked the ball in his hands more. He started to play looser and went a little too far with the bad pass where he tried to whip it through about 4 defenders. Nice to see this as he has been deferring too much and needs to play a more confident, relaxed game. Oh do I wish that dunk had gone down...would have been great for his confidence. Fun to see too!

Reaction Score
If anything, I would have liked the ball in his hands more. He started to play looser and went a little too far with the bad pass where he tried to whip it through about 4 defenders. Nice to see this as he has been deferring too much and needs to play a more confident, relaxed game. Oh do I wish that dunk had gone down...would have been great for his confidence. Fun to see too!
That was a pretty awful decision on that pass but that goes along with giving a freshman this much playing time. To me, this was the game it truly clicked. By the end he was getting to the basket almost at will and setting guys up well. It's significantly increased my confidence that he could be a key cog of a run this year and that with a full offseason of busting his ass this year, he could be a force for this team next year.

Reaction Score
What we saw against Memphis is the player I thought we would see right out of the box. Good important play with a pass here or there that was too clever or to receivers that weren't expecting it. Posters that had seen little of him, expected the typical freshman growth cycle, and I opined he would hit the ground running with maybe some freshman games or mistakes, but it turns out I have been wrong and he has played like a freshman. BUT, yesterday he controlled the game and Ollie kept him in, maybe the whole second half, winning time. Drives to score, drives to make the defense react... In the future the 3 pt shot will start falling as well. He and Hamilton are the only players that make offense for others. When they are both sitting, the offense passes around the perimeter, with an occasional driving probe for a players own shot. Jalen and Enoch both seemed more committed to make an impact last night.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That was a pretty awful decision on that pass r.

Only awful because he didnt recognize that the recipient was "hands of stone Ronnie Garvin". For example, Lawson on Memphis easily catches both of those.

Ive been on the Jalen has to run the team bandwagon since November.Im glad KO has finally come around to see things August's way.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Only awful because he didnt recognize that the recipient was "hands of stone Ronnie Garvin". For example, Lawson on Memphis easily catches both of those.

Ive been on the Jalen has to run the team bandwagon since November.Im glad KO has finally come around to see things August's way.

Damn right. About time he wised-up and listened.

Reaction Score
Kid is going to be a star. I hope someone teaches him to use his left hand on layups on the left side of the rim.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Most people were. Although, I preferred to wait til later in the season (like now) as it's usually better to bring a non-lottery freshman along slowly. Especially a PG.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Kid is going to be a star. I hope someone teaches him to use his left hand on layups on the left side of the rim.

One thing at a time. Just hoping he can run the point as a freshman deep into March.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
Want the ball in his hands as much as possible on offense going forward. Him and DHam should dominate the on ball activity while Gibbs and Purvis stick to off the ball

Jalen will need to significantly improve his shooting for next year but for now his slashing and ball handling is exactly what our team needs for a more balanced offensive approach

Reaction Score
Once he has a reliable jumper from 12 feet, he will be an offense force.

August_West

Reaction Score
Once he has a reliable jumper from 12 feet, he will be an offense force.
no, he will be a superstar when he adds that. Its actually enough right now on this particular team that he is able to probe the paint and either:
a)kick to 3 point shooter
b)dish to big underneath (we'd probably see more of this if we had bigs who could catch)
c) get all the way to the rim and finish (hes actually very decent at this already)

If he was a knock down shooter already I think it would actually hurt the chemistry balance that we are FINALLY starting to find. Adams is a real good fit exactly how he is playing right now.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
no, he will be a superstar when he adds that. Its actually enough right now on this particular team that he is able to probe the paint and either:
a)kick to 3 point shooter
b)dish to big underneath (we'd probably see more of this if we had bigs who could catch)
c) get all the way to the rim and finish (hes actually very decent at this already)

If he was a knock down shooter already I think it would actually hurt the chemistry balance that we are FINALLY starting to find. Adams is a real good fit exactly how he is playing right now.

I disagree. If he starts pulling up reliably, that opens up the lob for Brimah and Miller that DHam is already so good at.

Reaction Score
I am, and have been, so impressed by him. Obviously talented..but I instantly recognized him as a clear PG and perhaps the first real court general since AJ. Despite the mistakes, he clearly such a smart basketball player.

August_West

Reaction Score
I disagree. If he starts pulling up reliably, that opens up the lob for Brimah and Miller that DHam is already so good at.
Yeah it does that. But point being, with the make up of this team we dont need Jalen taking that many shots.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah it does that. But point being, with the make up of this team we dont need Jalen taking that many shots.

Our offense isn't good enough to turn away talent like that. Anything that can help us put up points, I'm all for.

Reaction Score

I've heard from reliable sources that KO has recently given up turkey also

August_West

Reaction Score
Our offense isn't good enough to turn away talent like that. Anything that can help us put up points, I'm all for.

Our offense benefits best by having the right people in the right places playing to their strengths and not their limitations. That means Sterling off the ball playing catch and shoot and not on ball at the end of shot clock with the ball in hands unable to breakdown defenders, Purvis leaking on breaks, Miller getting touches down low, Daniel pushing the break off rebounds in full court but not having to be the only breakdown guy in the half court. Jalen playing how he is without having to take a lot of shots is enabling all those previous points I just made. Jalen is about 6th on the depth chart of people I want to see taking a jumper right now. But make no mistake, even without that jumper he makes us a way better looking offensive team with him on the floor than when he isnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom