The "Jalen Deserves his Own Thread" Thread . . . | The Boneyard

The "Jalen Deserves his Own Thread" Thread . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay, I'll be that guy - this one time.
Lots of compliments for Jalen buried in a bunch of threads, but nobody has taken the time to start a thread to say, "wow, this kid looked great." 10 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 steals, NO turnovers, in 30 minutes of tough-D play.

So here it is. I think he looked great. Best game in Husky blue. If you watch a replay of the first few minutes of the game, he had several nice plays, and he dished several nice passes that led to wide open, missed shots. I was surprised, and chagrined, when he was pulled.

More Jalen please.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I said it in another thread, but if he plays like that in March then we're gonna be a really tough out. First real glimpse of the kind of player he can be when he's fully developed, and it was impressive.

Reaction Score
Yes, yes. He should be running the team. He eliminates some of the stagnation that exists when Gibbs and Purvis pass the ball back and forth on the perimeter for 15 seconds of the shot clock. Let him bring it up and let Gibbs and Purvis get open on screens for jump shots. He's going to make mistakes, but he's still the best option.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Truly back to back great games now. Cinci being overshadowed by the unfortunate late game back breaking turnover. He's going to be crucial if we make an earnest run at this thing, and I do think its still in our bag to do so with the defense we've been playing.

Reaction Score
Yes, yes. He should be running the team. He eliminates some of the stagnation that exists when Gibbs and Purvis pass the ball back and forth on the perimeter for 15 seconds of the shot clock. Let him bring it up and let Gibbs and Purvis get open on screens for jump shots. He's going to make mistakes, but he's still the best option.
Agreed- Gibbs and Purvis really need to become the 2 guards and he needs to handle the point whenever he is in.

Reaction Score
Could be the mustache, but before I read anything that was said or written about this game, he was the one jumping off the screen. Sure he will have turnovers but there were 3 plays that highlighted why the point goes to him. DHam did his behind the back behind the foul line breakdown and was stripped immediately. Purvis and Gibbs with the clock running down and their heads DOWN drove into the trees and got stuffed. As isolated incidents no big deal, but we see this time after time, game after game. He's the only guard we have with a secure enough handle to keep his options open. I think KO is finally realizing, and it's time to let it happen.

Reaction Score
On January 15, 2011, Lamb put up 13 and 6 vs DePaul after an ugly month. He followed that up with 14 and 8 vs Nova and never looked back as he became the second option on our national championship team.

Adams might be breaking out at just the right time.

Reaction Score
Consistency has been a problem for JA. He has games were he has played very well. Then, he disappears or throws the ball away 5 times.

The talent is obvious, he can do things that no other Husky can. Doing them on a consistent basis would be a wonderful thing to see.

Reaction Score
The biggest thing holding Jalen back is confidence. When he plays with confidence as he did against UCF we get to see just how talented this kid is. I'm seeing less and less tentative play from Jalen and as the season gets longer he will continue to develop. There will be a few burps along the way because he is still a freshman but by tourney time this kid could possibly be our leading scorer and on ball defender.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I think KO is finally realizing, and it's time to let it happen.
We play for March. Don't think for a second KO didn't know what he had from day 1. Managing a team's collective ego's is very difficult. He couldn't start Jalen from go out of respect to Rodney. I was strongly against starting Adams in the offseason because I tought that Gibbs was a natural enough point to run the show, now that we see what we have in him, its obvious that we needed to fold Adams in eventually. But that's a delicate process. I think KO is bringing him around perfectly.

Reaction Score
Confidence, confidence, confidence. That's the freshman elixer, and he has found the source. As freshman Kemba found it, Bazz, Boat and Khalid as well.

To me that's all that was needed, now Ollie needs to keep him on the floor so he doesn't lose it.

There's something about that kid that spells greatness (yes I said it). Just wait until Gibbs gets out of town (not rushing him because he is helping Adams).

Next season is Adams' year.

Reaction Score
The 0 turnovers really was great. And adding 5 assists to it is even better.

He needs to keep the turnovers down and just don't shoot another 3 until next season.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We play for March. Don't think for a second KO didn't know what he had from day 1. Managing a team's collective ego's is very difficult. He couldn't start Jalen from go out of respect to Rodney. I was strongly against starting Adams in the offseason because I tought that Gibbs was a natural enough point to run the show, now that we see what we have in him, its obvious that we needed to fold Adams in eventually. But that's a delicate process. I think KO is bringing him around perfectly.
This rings true to me. Its a too many cooks spoil the broth thing. Someone said the other day that I though was spot on. Having 4 go to guys means you have none. Promises were made to Gibbs im sure, and Purvis for their loyalty and they have parts to play in our success, but we are a more fluid offensive team with Jalen on the floor.

Reaction Score
He played in CONTROL. Hardest thing to learn about basketball mentally is that even though you can go 100 MPH, you don't need it all the time. Its nice to have when you need to get a bucket, but angles/leverage/vision/CHANGE of speed are much more important.

Reaction Score
Confidence, confidence, confidence. That's the freshman elixer, and he has found the source. As freshman Kemba found it, Bazz, Boat and Khalid as well.

To me that's all that was needed, now Ollie needs to keep him on the floor so he doesn't lose it.

There's something about that kid that spells greatness (yes I said it). Just wait until Gibbs gets out of town (not rushing him because he is helping Adams).

Next season is Adams' year.
No, this year has to be the start of it because we are trying hard not to lose critical games and make the NCAA. Gibbs has limitations cor all his great shooting, Rodney too.
If feelings are a little dented so be it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The reason it didn't happen earlier was because Jalen wasn't ready. Not because Ollie didn't see it or because his loyalties were elsewhere.
We all knew JA was talented and now it is coming together. I expect his name to end up with the Huskies of Honor.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
LOVED the shot over Tacko Fall! Way to go, J!

Reaction Score
Simple.

I have read these comments for months about KO should do this or that with Jalen Adams. He needed to grow. It's great that we brought in Gibbs because that didn't immediately put the pressure on Jalen. In time, he is beginning to look better. It will be his own progression on a learning curve. KO has done a good job feeding him. OUR March and future years can be significantly impacted by Adams getting more consistent.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Truly back to back great games now. Cinci being overshadowed by the unfortunate late game back breaking turnover. He's going to be crucial if we make an earnest run at this thing, and I do think its still in our bag to do so with the defense we've been playing.

Definitely agree that he's played well for 2 games now and that his late turnover overshadowed his solid play vs Cinci.

I'm always taken-back and pleasantly surprised when I see how easy it is for Jalen to get to the rim with his quickness, athleticism, and long arms (6'2" with 6'6.5" wingspan). He needs to keep getting into the gaps of the defense and driving to the lane. From there, he's such a weapon for us because he can get to the rim with that explosiveness, but also has the vision to kick-out to other guards on the perimeter. We've also seen him show that he has a REALLY nice floater in the lane which he uses well. The trouble for Jalen is making sure that when he penetrates into the lane that he doesn't try to do too much and he stays in control without turning the ball over.

Defensively, he's been very solid as well. Again, his wingspan and quickness help him significantly in this regard, which is why his game projects well at the next level.

I'm glad KO has him in the starting line up now and he's earning his minutes. I'm also glad that we have someone like Purvis who is TEAM first all the way and willing to put his ego aside and sacrifice his starting role for the overall makeup of the team.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good basketball by Jalen. Now the key is to string good play together game in game out. What they need most from Jalen is consistency.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The reason it didn't happen earlier was because Jalen wasn't ready. Not because Ollie didn't see it or because his loyalties were elsewhere.

Seriously, I don't get how people don't get this. The kid was so up and down early (as most freshman are), with the ups not really outweighing the downs, that there was no point (especially considering confidence in himself and others confidence in him) in giving him huge responsibility. It's not some great crime or oversight to bring him along slowly. It's savvy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom