The head coach and offensive coordinator coach scared. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The head coach and offensive coordinator coach scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure they play without energy. I just don't think that they are that good.
I disagree. Our players are very good. They are not being used properly. Whether its O-line blocking technique, or a failure to employ misdirection, screens, slants, quick hits to our playmakers--you name it--it's on the coaches. And yes, Pal is right, they have the kids tied up in knots, not playing with swagger and confidence.
A good example is The Houston Texans. Watched their play action and back door screens, etc. last night. That's a simplified offense with great playcalling and execution. And yet all of those same offensive stars were sputtering in past years due to deficiencies in their O-Line. That's always where it starts--with every succesful offense. We have the O-line players--but The DeLeone method is causing confusion and ineptness to permeate. Moving Bullock back to starter should help, but until we rekindle the Mike Foley approach (successful you might recall) we will be a long shot against any opponent with a decent defense.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Our players are very good. They are not being used properly. Whether its O-line blocking technique, or a failure to employ misdirection, screens, slants, quick hits to our playmakers--you name it--it's on the coaches

Putting on my kevlar... Not being used properly or being on the field when they shouldn't be? Have you seen Frank's blocking ability? He single-handedly had three to four differnt plays blow up because of missed blocks including the McCummings pass. He's a blocking full back?

Reaction Score
Putting on my kevlar... Not being used properly or being on the field when they shouldn't be? Have you seen Frank's blocking ability? He single-handedly had three to four differnt plays blow up because of missed blocks including the McCummings pass. He's a blocking full back?

No, but he is very good.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Our players are very good. They are not being used properly. Whether its O-line blocking technique, or a failure to employ misdirection, screens, slants, quick hits to our playmakers--you name it--it's on the coaches. And yes, Pal is right, they have the kids tied up in knots, not playing with swagger and confidence.
A good example is The Houston Texans. Watched their play action and back door screens, etc. last night. That's a simplified offense with great playcalling and execution. And yet all of those same offensive stars were sputtering in past years due to deficiencies in their O-Line. That's always where it starts--with every succesful offense. We have the O-line players--but The DeLeone method is causing confusion and ineptness to permeate. Moving Bullock back to starter should help, but until we rekindle the Mike Foley approach (successful you might recall) we will be a long shot against any opponent with a decent defense.

No possible way I can evaluate them other than what I see. So maybe they are good but not smart enough to run these schemes? I agree that the offense should be tailored to the talent we have (one of HCRE's strengths) instead of forcing square peg/round hole. But I don't know if they are good or not, but I feel like they can't be that good. Because if they are very good, and McCombs is very good, then even by accident we should have lots of really good running plays, because they can't make mistakes on every play.

Reaction Score
No, but he is very good.

He's worth it just for his Starting Line-up Into Video... but his misses a ton of key blocks. Again, not sure if talent or responsibilities but watch when plays get blown up and it's often a missed or glancing block by RF.

Reaction Score
I meant in games. I don't know what they do in practice. But I have a problem with relying on the wildcat in the red zone, if it's not good enough to be your offense the rest of the time. They seem content to try 3 running plays, 2 out of the wildcat, and then kick a field goal. If they pass, it's likely as not to be a trick play, like McCummings. Why not let Ryan Griffin or Geremy Davis use their size and practice red zone plays until Whitmer can execute them?

BAZINGA! In the two major red zone failures this year (Rutgers and Western Mich) NOT ONE jump ball attempt to either one of these guys. The underutilzation of Griffin is one of the major fails this year..

Reaction Score
He's worth it just for his Starting Line-up Into Video... but his misses a ton of key blocks. Again, not sure if talent or responsibilities but watch when plays get blown up and it's often a missed or glancing block by RF.

We've been lucky to have very good players at fullback, for a long time at UConn. We've put two starters in the NFL at that position in the past 5 years. We're not getting anywhere near the level of play out of that position right now, that we've had in the past, and it's a big part of why we are not running well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom