The Die Is Being Cast--Comcast | The Boneyard

The Die Is Being Cast--Comcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here are excerpts from Susan Herbst's email of 30 minutes ago. Note the comments about Comcast. Herbst will be a big player in our conference goings on.

Dear UConn fan,
As you may have seen in the news, the University of Connecticut recently selected the SNY network to air UConn women's basketball games and related programming over the course of the next four years. p

Our enhanced partnership with SNY, which already airs UConn men's basketball and football games, will allow the Huskies to be seen by nearly 14 million viewers in Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Northeastern Pennsylvania – as well as throughout the nation on various satellite services – dramatically expanding UConn's reach regionally and nationally.

As Coach Geno Auriemma has noted, the relationship with SNY will also assist us in maintaining and enhancing the level of success that our program has enjoyed through expanded exposure to potential recruits.

SNY is carried by every Connecticut cable provider and is one of 14 regional sports networks managed by Comcast Sports Management Group. Comcast is the owner of NBC Universal and its NBC Sports Group. The entire NBC Sports Group will make Stamford, Connecticut its new corporate headquarters next year.

Our thanks for your continued support for UConn women's basketball and, of course: Go Huskies!
Susan Herbst
President, University of Connecticut
president@uconn.edu

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
The school will just have to weather the initial backlash of folks (myself included) who are kinda upset that CPTV gets the shaft in all of this, losing their top fundraising draw.

Beyond all that, it's a good move for the school and bodes well for the future...

Reaction Score
CPTV is a rinky-dink station. SNY has some reach. Don't know how there could be any backlash at all, unless you don't think the women should be marketed well.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Comcast is the owner of NBC Universal and its NBC Sports Group. The entire NBC Sports Group will make Stamford, Connecticut its new corporate headquarters next year.

Foreshadowing to the future Big East TV partner?;)

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
More like making friends with the Governor.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
And putting the folks in Bristol on notice...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
CPTV is a rinky-dink station. SNY has some reach. Don't know how there could be any backlash at all, unless you don't think the women should be marketed well.

The backlash is due to the fact that CPTV helped put the women's program on the map, or at the very least, grew the viewership and fanbase to the point where monetary funding was never a problem. One could make the argument that the women might have achieved what they did without the publicity from CPTV, but I would not be among them...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Still, I think that the SNY move was the right one, and it will continue to push the brand forward. Plus, I no longer have to listen to that Margaret Thatcher lookalike telling me to buy a $150 towel for a half-hour.

Reaction Score
Don't shed any tears for CPTV. They announced today on the Courant that they will broadcast Connecticut Sun Games & that Kara Wolters will be involved in the commentary.

Reaction Score
Still, I think that the SNY move was the right one, and it will continue to push the brand forward. Plus, I no longer have to listen to that Margaret Thatcher lookalike telling me to buy a $150 towel for a half-hour.
That guy in the warmup jacket was actually the inspiration for Waylon's "beg harder" campaign.;)

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Sounds like somewhere along the way bullsh!t walked

Reaction Score

are you kidding? most of their market is old people, are you really asking what can old people complain about? what can't they complain about?

Reaction Score
are you kidding? most of their market is old people, are you really asking what can old people complain about? what can't they complain about?
Speak up sonny.

Reaction Score
And both screwing UConn.

Corporations do not need to be FAITHFUL to a state!! If Florida offered Disney owned ESPN free land near Disney, plus tax breaks to build a headquarters, I would say ESPN would tell CT Bye

The state needs to be FAITHFUL to the Coporations. The owners can move headquarters if the owners think said state is anti-business.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Corporations do not need to be FAITHFUL to a state!! If Florida offered Disney owned ESPN free land near Disney, plus tax breaks to build a headquarters, I would say ESPN would tell CT Bye

The state needs to be FAITHFUL to the Coporations. The owners can move headquarters if the owners think said state is anti-business.
Hahahaha... why is the it the folks who love to bitch and moan about government TYRANNY the loudest are the first in line to suck Donald trumps diick?

Reaction Score

ESPN got plenty of local tax breaks. And they haven't stopped building...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom