The Currency of Paige's ESPY Awards Speech.... | The Boneyard

The Currency of Paige's ESPY Awards Speech....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
.......is underscored in this article in The Athletic:

Paige had said:

“With the light that I have now as a White woman who leads a Black-led sport and celebrated here, I want to shed a light on Black women,” she said. “They don’t get the media coverage that they deserve. They’ve given so much to the sport, the community and society as a whole and their value is undeniable.”

Sue Bird is quoted as well:

“Even though we’re female athletes playing at a high level, our worlds, you know, the soccer world and the basketball world are just totally different,” she said. “And to be blunt it’s the demographic of who’s playing. Women’s soccer players generally are cute little white girls while WNBA players — we are all shapes and sizes … a lot of Black, gay, tall women. … There is maybe an intimidation factor and people are quick to judge it and put it down.

It is a good article and two UConn great point guards are quoted.

Reaction Score
Can anyone tell me how to delete a thread? This duplication was accidental - I thought I had lost it

Reaction Score
I wonder what Maya Moore, Candace Parker, Williams' sisters, Simone Biles, FloJo, would have to say on the subject. Exceptional athletes who are superstars in their respective sports are celebrated equally without regard for race, religion, partner preferences. Catlin Clark is not idolized in America because she is white - she has demonstrated that she is a remarkedly gifted athlete and can do what few can do.

Reaction Score
I’m feeling CC fatigue. I don’t even think she’s that good. I mean imagine PB chucking up 12 or 1300 3 pointers over 4 years. And I have never heard her say anything all that thought provoking. But I’m not Nike or the Fever. Probably a good thing.

Reaction Score
I wonder what Maya Moore, Candace Parker, Williams' sisters, Simone Biles, FloJo, would have to say on the subject. Exceptional athletes who are superstars in their respective sports are celebrated equally without regard for race, religion, partner preferences. Catlin Clark is not idolized in America because she is white - she has demonstrated that she is a remarkedly gifted athlete and can do what few can do.
I think they’d all talk about the racism they’ve felt on their way to the top. I think most of them have actually. I don’t think Maya or Candace would say they feel equally celebrated as their white peers either.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of athletes who also happen to be very, very smart and worth listening to. For example: Bill Bradley, Arthur Ashe, Billie Jean King, Mohammed Ali and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom