The boys grew up! | The Boneyard

The boys grew up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Besides that being a clinic in how to lose a game at the end...they took a BIG step forward today. Purvis played extremely well (besides the turnovers), Brimah played well (despite his WTF moment with the ball all alone towards the end) and Facey probably had the best game of his career. Only real negative was Ollie's coaching at the end. Gotta have the kid miss his 2nd free throw and let time expire since they don't have any time-outs.

Other than that, big win and always feels great to beat 'Cuse. Also, I don't think we'll be hearing how MSG is their "home" anymore...

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Was encouraged by Durham, and I'm encouraged by Vital's toughness, and I'm encouraged that Jalen keeps trying s&*! even when things aren't going well. We need him to just always have this confidence throughout the year, so that he's ready to be the best PG in the country next year.

Got to hold a saeance or something for Enoch & Jackson, who look like they're overwhelmed by the speed of the game still. But that's what a growing year is for, right?

Reaction Score
Besides that being a clinic in how to lose a game at the end...they took a BIG step forward today. Purvis played extremely well (besides the turnovers), Brimah played well (despite his WTF moment with the ball all alone towards the end) and Facey probably had the best game of his career. Only real negative was Ollie's coaching at the end. Gotta have the kid miss his 2nd free throw and let time expire since they don't have any time-outs.

Other than that, big win and always feels great to beat 'Cuse. Also, I don't think we'll be hearing how MSG is their "home" anymore...

Bilas agreed with Ollie there. You a long pass inside the 3 point circle and then a shot. I'm OK with it either way.

Reaction Score
Bilas agreed with Ollie there. You a long pass inside the 3 point circle and then a shot. I'm OK with it either way.
Have to disagree with KO & Bilas....you have to miss the 2nd free throw with 2.2 seconds left. With the rebound & long pass time would easily expire before anyone could catch the pass let alone get a shot off. Making the free throw gives them a chance to set up and make a pass with no time off the clock. Maybe nit picking but could have been a huge mistake.....great coaching by KO otherwise.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As soon as the pass crossed the 3pt line I knew it was over. I was dreading 2 dribbles and a 70fter

Reaction Score
Exactly. Like I said in the opening post. You've gotta miss the 2nd free throw. 2.2 seconds left, no time outs. By the time the ball hits the rim, falls the two seconds will roll off the clock. As soon as it went in all I saw was the Adams shot against Cincy last year coming back to bite us. Thankfully it didn't...

Reaction Score
Have to disagree with KO & Bilas....you have to miss the 2nd free throw with 2.2 seconds left. With the rebound & long pass time would easily expire before anyone could catch the pass let alone get a shot off. Making the free throw gives them a chance to set up and make a pass with no time off the clock. Maybe nit picking but could have been a huge mistake.....great coaching by KO otherwise.
Disagree with the idea of missing the second free throw. How many times have you seen a player purposely miss a free throw but also miss the rim (the answer is more often then you would expect)? In that case it's ball out with a one point lead and a two pointer wins it.

Reaction Score
Disagree with the idea of missing the second free throw. How many times have you seen a player purposely miss a free throw but also miss the rim (the answer is more often then you would expect)? In that case it's ball out with a one point lead and a two pointer wins it.
Not going to belabor the point....odds are better if you miss the 2nd shot, I don't think too many guys miss the rim altogether, more likely he makes the shot by "mistake" than throw an airball or brick.....moving on, it's a win.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

couldn't disagree with you more on the KO comment but that's your opinion

Reaction Score

Good win in a very bad early season...Lots of correctable mistakes to learn from. They did not show the crowd at all but
The 6th Borough was coming through loud and clear. Thank you to all the UConn fans that were able to make the game.
Came across as loud and proud! My only alleviation from the nausea of listening to Bilas. :mad:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I just want to know what was going through Brimahs mind when he had the ball 3 feet from the basket and no one within 15 feet of him.
I wish someone would ask him - I couldn't believe it

Reaction Score
Was encouraged by Durham, and I'm encouraged by Vital's toughness, and I'm encouraged that Jalen keeps trying s&*! even when things aren't going well. We need him to just always have this confidence throughout the year, so that he's ready to be the best PG in the country next year.

Got to hold a saeance or something for Enoch & Jackson, who look like they're overwhelmed by the speed of the game still. But that's what a growing year is for, right?

You know what else was nice to see about Durham, after making the 2 shots he didn't force any shots and was comfortable with the ball, pivoting until he saw someone open never panicking. Blocked a shot, got a nice board in traffic showing his length is going to be big at some point. Little by little with this kid I'm telling you!

Reaction Score
I just want to know what was going through Brimahs mind when he had the ball 3 feet from the basket and no one within 15 feet of him.

Once he hesitated he needed to throw it back out, 20 seconds left on the shot clock and only 34 overall. I mean to just throw up a feather was just unbelievable.

Reaction Score
They came out of the gates with a sense of purpose. From the beginning, they played hard on both ends of the floor, diving after loose balls, they looked like they were ready to compete from the get - go.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

"I can't dribble that far, so let's take the baseline jumper!"

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Exactly. Like I said in the opening post. You've gotta miss the 2nd free throw. 2.2 seconds left, no time outs. By the time the ball hits the rim, falls the two seconds will roll off the clock. As soon as it went in all I saw was the Adams shot against Cincy last year coming back to bite us. Thankfully it didn't...

I always see Scottie hitting Tate on the touchdown pass and that smooth as silk jumper from the corner that erased a horrific 19 point lead meltdown and sent us on to the Elite Eight. I always think somebody will do the same thing to us.

Reaction Score
Well this team's balls finally dropped as a group tonight and I hope they can take this as a building block.

1.) I like Durham a lot and people forget this was a Top-15ish guy until his leg blew to smitherines in High School. Of anyone who I think benefits most from injury-mania, it's going to be him. His ceiling is really, really high.

2.) Vital is just a fun, gamey player. I think some of the star-guard-in-the-making stuff is hilariously over the top with him, but he does sort of everything and is your ideal third guard of sorts. Can shoot a little, defends well, can get some pesky rebounds, etc. He's a def. four year guy and will probably be a real presence on the team for while. He's do some wildly idiotic things this year i'm sure; but he'll be worth the growing pains 100%.

3.) I hope Facey continues to play somewhere in the zip code of the way he played tonight because if he can, we might be able to hang around a little bit. Lord knows the talent has always been there - and he'll only be what he'll be - but he'd be a big add if he can continue to not suck.

4.) I love this team driving to the hoop. Maybe it's me - but they really carved up that zone tonight - in spite of not being able to hit the floor if they threw a brick at it. Shooting certainly needs work, but I feel like that's the one real gap skill this team can develop this year.

5.) Brimah. I just find Brimah arguments to be so pointless anymore. He's an elite shot blocker, a real defensive presence down low and once in every blue moon he'll take over a game on total raw ability alone. He's also got the lousiest hands i've ever seen, still fouls too much and gets stuck in no-man's land (see tonight's layup) mentally at least once a game. He's a slightly above average, kind of toolsey big who's good to have a on a developing, not contending team like this one that you're not married to long-term. I'll take him for what he is.

But just based on where they're at developmentally, it's going to have to be the effort they put out tonight every night if they want to hang around. My hope is they can post a winning record, maybe make a run in the conference tournament and we'll see where we're at.

C

Chief00

You know what else was nice to see about Durham, after making the 2 shots he didn't force any shots and was comfortable with the ball, pivoting until he saw someone open never panicking. Blocked a shot, got a nice board in traffic showing his length is going to be big at some point. Little by little with this kid I'm telling you!
Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69