The answer to Kaela Davis leaving | The Boneyard

The answer to Kaela Davis leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She is finished for the season, battling Meniere's Disease, which causes problems with hearing and balance. Source: 11alive.com

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Wow - that's really unfortunate......are there effective treatments?

I wonder if this is what afflicted David Duval (PGA golfer) some years back? It sounds kind of similar.

Sure hope she gets healthy as soon as possible and that it does not affect her future Bball career. She's a great talent.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Very sad. I wish her the best for a quick and complete recovery. Here's a description of the disease, including its causes and prognosis, from the National Institutes of Health:

Meniere's Disease

Reaction Score
As a repeated sufferer of vertigo, which is one of the major symptoms of Menieres, I feel for her. I am getting over a bout of vertigo right now. Just getting out of bed or changing from a sitting to a standing position and slightly moving my head causes my head to swim. I cannot imagine how it must feel to play basketball with the constant stops and starts, falls to the ground, moving your head every which way. I feel the nausea just thinking about it.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Had a co-worker many years ago who came down with Menieres. He was incapacitated for a long time. It is no laughing matter.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Had a co-worker many years ago who came down with Menieres. He was incapacitated for a long time. It is no laughing matter.
I have had a parishioner and close friend who has had menieres for several decades, on and off. But he has had it continually since 2000 when he and his were traveling with a group I was leading to Oberammergau for the passion play. In Nuremberg he woke up with a full blown attack so bad we had to take him down the freight elevator on a luggage cart. Menieres runs a whole spectrum of severities but it can often be absolutely miserable. My member has been to medical centers from Geisinger and Hershey Medical to Johns Hopkins and the Cleveland Clinic with little relief.

Reaction Score
Speculation deleted - DO NOT SPECULATE and DO NOT DRAG SPECULATION HERE FROM OTHER SITES. ~HuskyNan

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Meniere's and the accompanying vertigo is a miserable condition. I have a dear friend and parishioner who suffers terribly with it.

Reaction Score
As a repeated sufferer of vertigo, which is one of the major symptoms of Menieres, I feel for her. I am getting over a bout of vertigo right now. Just getting out of bed or changing from a sitting to a standing position and slightly moving my head causes my head to swim. I cannot imagine how it must feel to play basketball with the constant stops and starts, falls to the ground, moving your head every which way. I feel the nausea just thinking about it.

Is that BPPV you suffer from? If it is, go to a physical therapist who knows about vestibular diseases. You will probably need a script from a ENT doc (they're the ones who diagnose BPPV and Meniere's). It's not a permanent cure, but at least you can function for a while. I've been getting it every year since 2006, it STINKS!...

Vertigo is very unpredictable and can be incapacitating. I don't wish it on anyone. Good luck!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Is that BPPV you suffer from? If it is, go to a physical therapist who knows about vestibular diseases. You will probably need a script from a ENT doc (they're the ones who diagnose BPPV and Meniere's). It's not a permanent cure, but at least you can function for a while. I've been getting it every year since 2006, it STINKS!...

Vertigo is very unpredictable and can be incapacitating. I don't wish it on anyone. Good luck!
Amen.

Reaction Score

Agreed. I have BPPV, and it can be brutal. The bad news is you never get over it; the good news is it can be managed. Look up the Epley/Semont maneuvers, and if necessary get a doctor or physical therapist to go over them with you til you've mastered it. Works wonders, if only on a temporary basis.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Chatter now that it wasn't the disease but rather her and the Head coach. Not sure if any truth to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom