the Aaron Torres retort ... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

the Aaron Torres retort ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
No actually I don't. My business keeps growing because we have people who want to be great and build a great company.

Here's an idea, warren buffet, you write the check to the AD that allows us to pay $7 million for a top coach.

What do you say sport?

That's what Phil Knight does. Are you saying you don't want to be like him? Why are your sites set so low???

Reaction Score
No actually I don't. My business keeps growing because we have people who want to be great and build a great company.

You don't seem to understand. Im really well aware of how they build it over years - get a nut sack - have high expectations - those expectations don't need to come to fruition overnight.

II guys have a reading comprehension problem - please show me where I said or indicated that that successs has to come over night. Why people can't read clearly is beyond me.

Have greater expectations than 8-5 if that's where you want this program enjoy it. I'm sure the guys at UL and UH aspired to be 8-5.

You don't get it.
Man you really are lost, or obtuse, or dim. One of the above though for sure.

Miles and Richt get fired for having 5 star talent all over the field and going 8-5 (in programs where winning 10 games is the norm). Randy goes 8-5 (1 win less than the programs best ever year) with 2 star recruits in a program in its infancy and you want him fired because UGA or LSU would (no they would not). Ha ok.

Reaction Score

You don't seem to understand. Im really well aware of how they build it over years - get a nut sack - have high expectations - those expectations don't need to come to fruition overnight.

II guys have a reading comprehension problem - please show me where I said or indicated that that successs has to come over night. Why people can't read clearly is beyond me.

Have greater expectations than 8-5 if that's where you want this program enjoy it. I'm sure the guys at UL and UH aspired to be 8-5.

You don't get it.

What's the name of your company?

Reaction Score
Can't wait till you eat those words

He won't. He was complaining all the time we won 9, 8, 8 and 8 games Edsall's last 4 years.

But he's not the worst. Forgive me if I have this wrong, but others here will remember: wasn't it Muntz who definitively posted in 2010 at 3-4 that we sucked and we wouldn't win another game all year? Triggering our 5 game run to the conference championship and the Fiesta Bowl?

Reaction Score
Great programs bring 5 to 8 thousand fans to road games. We don't bring 500 even when we play in driving distance.

Great programs have more than 60k fans show up at games even when they're having bad years. We don't even have those numbers in our dreams.

Great programs are in conferences that people care about.

Great programs, mostly, are in areas that produce far more top level talent than Connecticut (and the Northeast is general) do.

Great programs don't compete with 3 NFL teams in their market.

Great programs have a history, that makes high school coaches proud when they get to brag a kid goes there and cause them to favor those schools.

Do I need to go on? I'm sick and tired of folks thinking that college football is like college basketball and it's that easy to compete on the highest level, and I'm sick and tired of folks thinking that if you're just patient enough a football version of Jim and Geno is going to show up soon.

While we never would have had the state support to go I-A without the success of our basketball programs, that success may also be the papercut that bleeds the football program to death because we have too many fans refusing to accept the time, patience and effort it is going to take to be a perennial Top 25 level program.
I liked this post but a bit disappointed that you did not have "Whereas" before each Great.....;) :D

Reaction Score
Here's an idea, warren buffet, you write the check to the AD that allows us to pay $7 million for a top coach.

What do you say sport?

That's what Phil Knight does. Are you saying you don't want to be like him? Why are your sites set so low???

I'm not saying I'm like him remotely.

Football at UCONN is what you want to make it - you want 8-5 every year good for you, them you don't deserve to be in the P5. Enjoy the the minor bowl you go to in Charlotte or Detroit and you can say to your buds we had a great time in some second tier city at a second tier bowl - congratulations, yippee.

I wouldn't write a check for any more money to this school if it was your money. We've already given plenty, not Burton money, but plenty by almost any measure. Just like I'm sure many here have.

RE is a less then an ideal hire , but it's the only person the school can get. So got to make the best of it. He'll get you your 8-5.

This fan base is happy to be Wake Forest or Indiana. in football, sad.

Aspire to be greater than that. Maybe hoping to be mediocre works for you congratulations.

If in 10-15 years you're celebrating 8-5 seasons that will be pitiful.

I guarantee that long term RE expects better than 8-5 each year.

I love seeing you guys get your nuts in a wad. So easy to get folks provoked here, too funny - relax your life doesn't depend on UCONN football. You can drink beer outside and set up a grill a lot of places in the fall.

Now who wants to go outside and fight about it - comical.

Reaction Score
I guess you're happy with 8-5 I'm not. You simply have lower expectations than I do and don't think they type of success is possible is guess.

They all play FBS football - Christ you're like the plyers and parents of the players that played for Dan Hawkins.

It's ok to have standards that are as high as the most successful programs in the country.

I'm glad you don't work for me - let's aim to be pretty good not great.

Unreal

There are expectations and unrealistic expectations.

One can hope for better than 8-5, and actually one year he got them to 9-3.

But to expect it at a school with very little history, tradition and virtually no recruiting base falls in the unrealistic expectation category.

My expectations for Randy? Eventually compete for an AAC title more years than not and go bowling most years. Reasonable? I think so.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think the expectation here, board wide, is that Randy will guide us to 8 win seasons and in that time frame groom our OC to become the next head coach. The next head coach will take us to the promised land. I hope. I really hope...

Reaction Score
Now there's something to be proud of -- you wanted the guy gone, he left and we collapsed. And yet you're here thinking your opinons have credibility?

Forget Edsall's apology -- if you were a good person you'd apologize to the rest of us for having thought the program was going to get better post-Edsall before you continued to post here.

I can't apologize for the terrible decisions made after he left. That is why the program collapsed, not because of the absence of Randy Edsall.

I think RE is a very good defensive coach, and would make a good DC. I think he is exceptional at evaluating and developing talent.

I put Randy Edsall as a head coach in the same category as your smugness. I'll pass on both.

Reaction Score
I can't apologize for the terrible decisions made after he left. That is why the program collapsed, not because of the absence of Randy Edsall.

I think RE is a very good defensive coach, and would make a good DC. I think he is exceptional at evaluating and developing talent.

I put Randy Edsall as a head coach in the same category as your smugness. I'll pass on both.

So if you are going to pass that means you're leaving us right? Bye.

Reaction Score
I guess you're happy with 8-5 I'm not. You simply have lower expectations than I do and don't think they type of success is possible is guess.

They all play FBS football - Christ you're like the plyers and parents of the players that played for Dan Hawkins.

It's ok to have standards that are as high as the most successful programs in the country.

I'm glad you don't work for me - let's aim to be pretty good not great.

Unreal
Ok...so let me ask you this, as you give examples of LSU Alabama Ohio State etc. The greatest programs, but when was the last time they had a season like ours. Then ask, how much money can they spend on their head coach. Finally ask yourself if the location of these schools and their long history of competing for the top spot is any influence to demanding an unrealistic expectation. If you were a computer chip manufacturing company in New England but wanted top computer chip development how much money would it take to move Silicon Valley to CT? So until UConn can show some respectability...I don't see the need to obtain lightning in a bottle. So far when we tried that we got poop on a stick!

Reaction Score
Wait - he just came back?

@jpm25 - curious where you've been for the past 4 years?
Why did you want Edsall fired? Was it the five bowls in seven years? Or the two championships? Or the BCS appearance? Or the great graduation rates of his players?

it wasn't any of those reasons. The championships, albeit in a watered down league, backing into the BCS game, all fine (as an aside I traveled to the a few games that year including UM, East Hartford and Fiesta -- from the west coast -- the coaching was not good). The graduation rates were good, though. Especially great was punching above our weight in talent development, evidenced by four early round draft picks.

I should correct myself in that I wasn't outwardly calling for his firing, but rather I was eager to move past the transitional phase that he presided over, and represented (while doing a fine job). Edsall had served a great role in building a program "from trailers" or whatever you guys like to say. He clearly wasn't the guy to take the program beyond that, and with conference realignment looming, it was important to create more excitement around the program so as not to be left behind. RE stifled the offense way too much - Moorehead was handcuffed. (as an aside, JM was also the OC at my alma mater way back, first as QB coach then OC. Exciting offense)

I think UConn could have done better, even recently if Narduzzi had been hired over Diaco. I'm not sure Hathaway would have made a better decision. I think there were some decisions made at the booster level during CR with a basketball mindset that in hindsight, would not have mattered who was coach.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Wait - he just came back.

@jpm25 - curious where you've been for the past 4 years? Pretty strong anti-Edsall animus on the BY in the past as well.

Lots of people who quit on the program for the past few years are popping up out of the woodwork these days.

Reaction Score
I think there were some decisions made at the booster level during CR with a basketball mindset that in hindsight, would not have mattered who was coach.
And now you've officially gone off the deep end.

Reaction Score
The guy leads UConn into the lala land - the Fiesta Bowl
And you called for his dismissal??????
You are either stupid, delusional or a liar - which one?
gt, look, we're all on the same team here. That's the first thing to remember.
A lot of people were calling for Randy's dismissal. A lot. We thought he was a low ceiling on the program.
Then the world left us behind. It just took off without us.
Would RE have done any better than PP in this new world? The Big East disintegrating beneath our feet. Maybe a little. Maybe not.
Would he have done better than Diaco? One should expect so. He had a lot of experience. Diaco didn't. RE would probably have done better. A lot better? I can't answer that question, but probably a little better.
I for one highly doubt that RE has the fire burning hot enough to get us to another level in the next five years. Then he's gone.
He has what it takes to get us out of the disaster we find ourselves in right now. That's certainly a welcome positive. Positives are good. Our nearest competitors, RU, BC and Syrexcuse, have no reason to believe their fortunes will be significantly better than ours.
But, whatever. Just whatever. Nothing to be real happy about.

Reaction Score
gt, look, we're all on the same team here. That's the first thing to remember.
A lot of people were calling for Randy's dismissal. A lot. We thought he was a low ceiling on the program.
Then the world left us behind. It just took off without us.
Would RE have done any better than PP in this new world? The Big East disintegrating beneath our feet. Maybe a little. Maybe not.
Would he have done better than Diaco? One should expect so. He had a lot of experience. Diaco didn't. RE would probably have done better. A lot better? I can't answer that question, but probably a little better.
I for one highly doubt that RE has the fire burning hot enough to get us to another level in the next five years. Then he's gone.
He has what it takes to get us out of the disaster we find ourselves in right now. That's certainly a welcome positive. Positives are good. Our nearest competitors, RU, BC and Syrexcuse, have no reason to believe their fortunes will be significantly better than ours.
But, whatever. Just whatever. Nothing to be real happy about.

Would Randy have done better than PP, after coming off the Fiesta Bowl and you answer maybe, maybe not?

Um....ok.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
are these top class college coaches? I may be missing your point. Norries Wilson, out of coaching? Matt Cerosimo, head coach at Conard HS? Scott Lakotos from Monmouth?

This is the Randy Edsall coaching tree. Moorhead has been successful, likewise Orlando of late. But to call Edsall great at spotting coaching talent and developing them I think is a stretch?

i know for one the Cerosimo choice was an emotional one, he wanted to take over for his dad when he retired. he is coaching at the HS level because he wants to, not because he has to.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Would Randy have done better than PP, after coming off the Fiesta Bowl and you answer maybe, maybe not?

Um....ok.

He would have beaten Michigan with that lead and that position.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
If we had averaged 8-5 over the last 6 years, we would likely be in a p5.

Exactly. Football is actually hurting us. Bigly.

If we can get back to be great bb and decent FB, we would be in a much stronger position. Much.

Reaction Score
Guys do get canned for going 8-5 or better - Richt, Pellini, Miles, etc.
P5 stuff, with programs that have experience a National Championship moment within the last 35 years or so. Doesn't apply as much to a G5 program trying to convince the powers that be that they belong in a P5 conference

Reaction Score
no, I was calling for his firing. I might have been first.
It was not in this forum or the previous site but on Des Connor's at the Courant, I believe you had made the comment that the true measure of a program is in the number of draft picks that it produces, this was right after the Donald Brown draft when we had 4 players chosen in the first two rounds. You seemed quite pleased. Your opinion of RE and his accomplishments seemed to turn because of the manner in which he left. I seem to recall that you withheld your criticisms of the 2010 year until after he left. If you are not the same guy in Des' old blog then I profusely apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom