the Aaron Torres retort ... | The Boneyard

the Aaron Torres retort ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn's bizarre re-hire of Randy Edsall leaves a lot to be desired | FOX Sports

OK ... you are telling me, not surprisingly, that we wouldn't be getting Joe Moorhead or Todd Orlando - both contacted and flat standard rejection. And Les Miles? Ok ... we still may have called and not had a warm conversation to continue. Then who else was hot in this recent month? Strong or Kiffin or Collins or Fickell or ... MAC coach Flick or the Toledo guy. Then, Mr Mastermind Torres wants Golden or Schiano over Randy Edsall; I say Heck NO. We know these 3 and ... I would think Edsall has two reasons to rise over the other 2: UConn has a unique structure in recruiting that has to be followed - mostly stating that we can't count on in-state or NE. PLUS, Schiano has some odd peculiar things going on that makes him suspect. So, IMO, Edsall is far preferable to Schiano or Golden.

National Search? Nope. We can't pay $1.8m salary again. (Edsall works cause his pockets are full). And, we absolutely can't take a chance on a Coordinator at this time.

That leaves JMU Houston or ODU Wilder.

This is my way of saying ... don't look to the National media to understand this at all. This makes far more sense to us that have been around. This perfectly sums this up for me: Take Edsall over an attempt at the other retreads; take Edsall over two lower rung guys that are risky in a few ways, take Edsall because the obvious calls aren't warm. And we had someone with $$$ ante up!

Reaction Score
UConn's bizarre re-hire of Randy Edsall leaves a lot to be desired | FOX Sports

OK ... you are telling me, not surprisingly, that we wouldn't be getting Joe Moorhead or Todd Orlando - both contacted and flat standard rejection. And Les Miles? Ok ... we still may have called and not had a warm conversation to continue. Then who else was hot in this recent month? Strong or Kiffin or Collins or Fickell or ... MAC coach Flick or the Toledo guy. Then, Mr Mastermind Torres wants Golden or Schiano over Randy Edsall; I say Heck NO. We know these 3 and ... I would think Edsall has two reasons to rise over the other 2: UConn has a unique structure in recruiting that has to be followed - mostly stating that we can't count on in-state or NE. PLUS, Schiano has some odd peculiar things going on that makes him suspect. So, IMO, Edsall is far preferable to Schiano or Golden.

National Search? Nope. We can't pay $1.8m salary again. (Edsall works cause his pockets are full). And, we absolutely can't take a chance on a Coordinator at this time.

That leaves JMU Houston or ODU Wilder.

This is my way of saying ... don't look to the National media to understand this at all. This makes far more sense to us that have been around. This perfectly sums this up for me: Take Edsall over an attempt at the other retreads; take Edsall over two lower rung guys that are risky in a few ways, take Edsall because the obvious calls aren't warm. And we had someone with $$$ ante up!
You need to add to this..Pay Edsall so little that he has another chip on his shoulder

Reaction Score
Here is the other thing that rings true to me while reading the Torres piece:

Edsall was great in selecting younger guys that had great talent and could develop into Top in Class college coaches - SEE Joe Moorhead and Todd Orlando. Then our friend at Towson Rob Ambrose + Greg Gattuso at UAlbany (from his Maryland staff) I think will be a Star. Terry Richardson, Norries Wilson, Mike Foley, Scott Lakotos, Matt Cerosimo.

Aaron Smith from UConn is UAlbany's WR and Recuiting Coodinator and Keith Dudzinski at UAlbany (also from the Maryland staff) was Edsall's Defensive Coordinator (and might be ready for UConn). Andrew Breiner and Jon Wholley and Shane Fogarty and Darrell Perkins and Mark Dupuis - all from Edsall's UConn staff is leading Fordham in great seasons.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Have to agree with Pudge. Golden, Schiano or Edsall? I'll take my chances with Randy.

They're all on the same plane and Edsall knows the variables specific to working at UConn, so Randy is the best of the three. Not sure folks are so up in arms about the hire. I think we are suffering from being unable to see the coaching job at UConn for what it is--not exactly alluring

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
You guys know Aaron Torres went to UConn, right?

He was a student during the Edsall days. I wouldn't exactly say he knows "nothing about UConn football."
Didn't he write the book on the 2011 Championship season in Men's Basketball?

Reaction Score
The only thing I take from this is that Bob Diaco was so horrifically bad that a friend of Edsall helped grease the skids for Diaco's exit, and the current AD--who should know better--went along with it simply because he wsn't sure that UConn football could survive another 12 months of this, and if this means that UConn rises to some level of 6-6 or 7-5 in 2 or 3 years, then so be it!

In other words, the hiring of Edsall is directly influenced by the horrific Diaco era.

Be glad they didn't bring back Pasqualoni, who would have been an improvement over this year.

Reaction Score
Other than the bizarre title the author really doesn't make the case for why this is bizarre. He actually makes a case for why this makes sense
The fact that the change in buyout is basically a footnote is ridiculous. There is a very logical reason why it took a month to fire our coach.

Reaction Score
That article was moronic, as are most articles written by guys who don't know the first thing about UConn football
This legitimately made me laugh out loud. As @MattMang23 pointed out, Aaron was a UConn student while Randy was there!

Reaction Score
Here is the other thing that rings true to me while reading the Torres piece:

Edsall was great in selecting younger guys that had great talent and could develop into Top in Class college coaches - SEE Joe Moorhead and Todd Orlando. Then our friend at Towson Rob Ambrose + Greg Gattuso at UAlbany (from his Maryland staff) I think will be a Star. Terry Richardson, Norries Wilson, Mike Foley, Scott Lakotos, Matt Cerosimo.

Aaron Smith from UConn is UAlbany's WR and Recuiting Coodinator and Keith Dudzinski at UAlbany (also from the Maryland staff) was Edsall's Defensive Coordinator (and might be ready for UConn). Andrew Breiner and Jon Wholley and Shane Fogarty and Darrell Perkins and Mark Dupuis - all from Edsall's UConn staff is leading Fordham in great seasons.

are these top class college coaches? I may be missing your point. Norries Wilson, out of coaching? Matt Cerosimo, head coach at Conard HS? Scott Lakotos from Monmouth?

This is the Randy Edsall coaching tree. Moorhead has been successful, likewise Orlando of late. But to call Edsall great at spotting coaching talent and developing them I think is a stretch?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
That article was moronic, as are most articles written by guys who don't know the first thing about UConn football
Is Torres the guy who wrote a book about the 2011 hoops championship and was pimpin' it here. It was an okay read. Just okay. Was more of a newspaper rehash. Not a ground breaker for unknown stories.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Said the same thing in another thread.

To me it boils down to take a chance on another young up and comer or go with the retread you know.

At this point, I just trust Randy over those options.

Reaction Score
are these top class college coaches? I may be missing your point. Norries Wilson, out of coaching? Matt Cerosimo, head coach at Conard HS? Scott Lakotos from Monmouth?

This is the Randy Edsall coaching tree. Moorhead has been successful, likewise Orlando of late. But to call Edsall great at spotting coaching talent and developing them I think is a stretch?

Ok

I'll
Say it slow

Joe Moorhead & Todd Orlando - both - just had as much acclaim as any coordinator in CFB. That's a fact. Both are guys that Edsall plucked from a good deal lower rung.

If you want to pluck a piece of my post and piss on it ... Fine. Go ahead you steamer.

Reaction Score

Weren't you one of Edsall's biggest fans right up until he left the way he did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom