The 83rd New Haven Register All-State football team | The Boneyard

The 83rd New Haven Register All-State football team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure they have the picture of Rose of Southington mixed with so WR from WH - CT media is just phenomenal.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure they have the picture of Rose of Southington mixed with so WR from WH - CT media is just phenomenal.

Either this was corrected since your post or you may have missed something. Just checked the link. That picture is Jay Rose. Did I miss something in your post??

Somebody needs to tell me how Piccirillo gets player of the year over Rose. Rose has a higher completion pct. (70.5%-62%), more yards (3190-2530), more TDs (47-30), and a state championship. Even colleges think more of Rose than Piccirillo. One going to D3 Wesleyan, the other getting multiple D1 offers. This stinks of someone being given the award because he's a senior and Rose is a junior. Don't get me wrong, Piccirillo is a very good player. Don't interpret my comments as claiming he isn't good. But he's not the best player in the state...sorry.

Reaction Score
Blue215 said:
Either this was corrected since your post or you may have missed something. Just checked the link. That picture is Jay Rose. Did I miss something in your post??

Somebody needs to tell me how Piccirillo gets player of the year over Rose. Rose has a higher completion pct. (70.5%-62%), more yards (3190-2530), more TDs (47-30), and a state championship. Even colleges think more of Rose than Piccirillo. One going to D3 Wesleyan, the other getting multiple D1 offers. This stinks of someone being given the award because he's a senior and Rose is a junior. Don't get me wrong, Piccirillo is a very good player. Don't interpret my comments as claiming he isn't good. But he's not the best player in the state...sorry.

Piccirillo is very deserving of the award. Rose would also be a nice choice. Unfortunately only one player can get it. Future college choice is irrelevant.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Interesting to see that out of all those players, only 3 are playing at the FBS level next year (Actually 2 definitely and one kid had a verbal to Syracuse). I know there were a lot of underclassman but only 3 FBS caliber seniors of all the "best" players CT has to offer? It shows why getting in-state kids is not going to be a reality all the time for UConn. There just isn't enough talent in CT and when P5 programs come and offer, UConn will likely lose out.

Reaction Score

Piccirillo played in a much, much, tougher league. Southington played cupcakes all year, and did not play anyone ranked in the NHR top ten all season long. As a matter of fact if Southington played Shelton or Xavier from the SCC, or Darien, St Joe's or New Canaan from the FCIAC, my money would be on Southington losing and maybe by a lot depending on which of those teams they played. They were not the #1 team in the state according to the MaxPreps final poll which is a much more unbiased poll.

That being said the top 3 players in the state IMO were Mark Evanchick of Darien, Zach Allen of New Canaan (who got the Gatorade POY award in CT), and Bobby Drysdale of Brookfield.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Piccirillo played in a much, much, tougher league. Southington played cupcakes all year, and did not play anyone ranked in the NHR top ten all season long. As a matter of fact if Southington played Shelton or Xavier from the SCC, or Darien, St Joe's or New Canaan from the FCIAC, my money would be on Southington losing and maybe by a lot depending on which of those teams they played. They were not the #1 team in the state according to the MaxPreps final poll which is a much more unbiased poll.

That being said the top 3 players in the state IMO were Mark Evanchick of Darien, Zach Allen of New Canaan (who got the Gatorade POY award in CT), and Bobby Drysdale of Brookfield.

huskyrob1, I totally respect your opinion on your top three players. All are very good players and if Evanchick or Allen got it over Rose, I really couldn't argue it. But I would certainly put Rose ahead of Piccirillo. The award goes to the individual player, not the team, and having seen them both play I would say Rose is the better player. I'm certainly not knocking Piccirillo. He's a very good player. Just my opinion that Rose is a little better.

I'm not going to get into the argument here about what team or conference is the best. That's been hammered out way too much in several other threads and/or sites. I will say this, though. I wish Southington got to play Darien or New Canaan somehow this year. I think either game would have been great and would have put a lot of the arguing to rest. I don't think Shelton, Xavier or St. Joe's would have had a chance against Southington, though.

Bummer that the season is over, but the fact that we're having these conversations says that we have some pretty good HS football players in this state.

Reaction Score
huskyrob1, I totally respect your opinion on your top three players. All are very good players and if Evanchick or Allen got it over Rose, I really couldn't argue it. But I would certainly put Rose ahead of Piccirillo. The award goes to the individual player, not the team, and having seen them both play I would say Rose is the better player. I'm certainly not knocking Piccirillo. He's a very good player. Just my opinion that Rose is a little better.

I'm not going to get into the argument here about what team or conference is the best. That's been hammered out way too much in several other threads and/or sites. I will say this, though. I wish Southington got to play Darien or New Canaan somehow this year. I think either game would have been great and would have put a lot of the arguing to rest. I don't think Shelton, Xavier or St. Joe's would have had a chance against Southington, though.

Bummer that the season is over, but the fact that we're having these conversations says that we have some pretty good HS football players in this state.

If I was a college coach looking for a quarterback I would have recruited Rose over Piccirillo in a heartbeat because he's tall, strong, and has all the tools (say Tim Boyle), not because of the team he played on or the fact that his team played an incredibly easy schedule. However if I had been a voter for POY and it came down to MP or JR I would have voted for MP, as many others no doubt did, even though I knew that MP would probably end up playing D2 or D3 in college.

As to your assertion that Shelton, Xavier, or St Joe's, would not have a chance against Southington, well maybe Southington on a good day could beat Xavier or Shelton (the SCC had a down year anyway), but it would not have been by a blowout score by any means. But St Joe's would have been another story. They would have beaten Southington, maybe by a lot. Darien was lucky to have beaten St Joes earlier in the season. I could not find any common opponents between St Joe's and Southington but let me point out that Windsor and a very, very tough Ledyard both beat RHAM by nearly identical scores of 48-0 and 48-8, and St Joes kicked Ledyard all the way to Montauk 37-7 in the CIAC final. Your bias shows since you would probably say Windsor and Southington would have been a great game, but St Joe's would have no chance.

St Joe's was easily the most underrated team in the state this past season, even though they dealt with injuries all season long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom