The 3 ACC opponents | The Boneyard

The 3 ACC opponents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You have probably dissected all 3 of these games numerous times, but I'll throw in my thoughts anyway.

I think the best of the 3 will be SU. I was not a fan of firing Scott Shafer after it looked like his offense turned the corner and a nice nucleus of young up and comers on offense. I have no explanation why his defense took such a drastic nose dive, but I guess that did him in. In hindsight, it looks like they upgraded to Dino Babers, finally a guy that can run an offense that takes advantage of SU's indoor, artificial turf advantage; play fast!
Most of the ACC media picked SU to finish in the bottom part of the Atlantic division and missing out on a bowl. I think they will surprise a lot of people, break even in conference play and go to a bowl.

Steve Addazio's rear end has to be feeling a little bit of heat after BC went winless in conference last year. I do think his coaching style is a good fit for O-lineman U. You can't fault the defense, they were statistically one of the best and the funny part is, I could not even tell you one player's name on that D. The defense should again be stingy if the Spring game is any indication. I'm not expecting a whole lot of improvement on offense, but their OL comes back in tact, that should account for something and their best RB Jon Hiliman should be ready to go after missing much of last year. I'm not going to buy into the QB transfer from UK to be their savior, Patrick Towles was so bad he was benched last season thus transferring. Still, BC is likely see some improvement (no where to go but up), I see 3 winnable conference games on their schedule, but feel they won't win enough to go to a bowl.

UVA is a mystery. Typically they are known for solid skilled position players on offense, good O-lines, but terrible QB play. The last half-way decent QB to play for them was Matt Schaub 10 years ago. I think I remember the new coach Bronco Mendenhall saying something to indicate that the team lacked talent. The last few seasons under the former coach Mike London they had a solid defense, maybe that carries over. They were picked to finish dead last in the Coastal division. I have no predictions of my own for this team.

Reaction Score
These are big games for us, no doubt, and I don't see them being easy games. That said:
  • Cuse took a gamble with Babers. His stays as a head coach were very short (due to his success), but none of those teams showed anything regards to playing defense. I actually think that may be the most winnable game, especially as we get them early in the season.
  • As good as BC's defense was (and it was very good), their offense was an unmitigated disaster. That the Oline is coming back may be a very good thing for BC's opponents. They struggle this season and UCONN goes into Alumni late in the season and wins I would have to believe Addazio gets his walking papers.
  • Don't know much about Virginia.
We should be able to play with these teams and if our offense has improved we'll have a chance in all of them.

Reaction Score
I will make this comparison in regards to BC's offense. In 2014 Wake Forest offense was just as bad, possibly worst than BC's offense in 2015. They too were playing with a lot of inexperience on the O-line as well as having a new QB. That poor freshman QB John Wolford was just thrown into the fire, I believe Wake was dead last in the NCAA in sacks allowed in that year. The following year Wake went from terrible to serviceable on offense. In 2016, they should be that much better on the offensive side. I believe BC makes that step up from terrible to serviceable and it might just win them a few more games.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
This is how it's going to go:

1. We have a great opening win against Maine. 1-0
2. Navy is decimated by the loss of so many starters, including their 2 big offensive weapons - UCONN wins. 2-0
3. UVA rolls into town. UCONN fans are rabid due to the second home game of a great season. It is a close one - UCONN pulls out. 3-0
4. Cuse hits the buzz saw of momentum that is UCONN football 2016. 4-0
5. Houston kicks us in the sweet meats. 4-1
6. Cinci rubs salt in the wound. 4-2
7. USF is highly overrated. 5-2
8. You say Civil! I say CONFLICT! Civil! Conflict! 6-2
9., ECU is hungry for a win and catches us feeling too confident. 6-3
10. Temple, it hurts to write, is still too much for us for now. 6-4
11. Chestnut Hill is basically another home game for UCONN. 7-4
12. 8-4

13. We beat Duke in the BIG BEEF O'Brady Bowl.

Season ends: 9-4, invited to play in the Big 12

Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that these are 3 pretty bad teams and if our offense has improved we should win all 3. Let's face it, 2 have new head coaches as a result of being bad. The other was really bad and had they not played two bad FCS opponents could well have ended the year with 1 win.

If we are serious about this football program these are games we need to win...lower level ACC games need to be our bread and butter all the time.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If the trend of progression continues as it has over the last two seasons, I can't see UConn losing any of their OOC games.

Reaction Score
If UConn wants to make a statement to the P-5 saying "We belong" then sweeping the ACC games on their schedule is a must. Maybe the ACC itself will wake up and realize they should make a grab for UConn before somebody else does as a preemptive move for when Clemson or Fla St get poached or..... ND has their hand forced and they join up full member. I would dare say those 3 OOC games are just as important as any regular season game they have this year. Everybody expects Houston to get revenge on the Huskies so if "Diaco's Disciples" can pull that one out it's just gravy. Every ACC team they can beat just adds fuel to the speculative fire. OOC wins vs P-5 teams has to be a priority if they ever expect to join them.

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson will never get poached. Winning 2 of 3 will still make a strong statement.

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson will never get poached. Winning 2 of 3 will still make a strong statement.
That is why it was so silly that others caved on them and took Louisville. FSU isn't going anywhere. And the thought that Clemson would be poached is utterly laughable.

Reaction Score
The Grant of Rights secures their future in the ACC. I don't believe the GOR was around in 2012, but there was a huge exit fee of $50m voted on and passed right before UMD left.

Reaction Score
If UConn wants to make a statement to the P-5 saying "We belong" then sweeping the ACC games on their schedule is a must. Maybe the ACC itself will wake up and realize they should make a grab for UConn before somebody else does as a preemptive move for when Clemson or Fla St get poached or..... ND has their hand forced and they join up full member. I would dare say those 3 OOC games are just as important as any regular season game they have this year. Everybody expects Houston to get revenge on the Huskies so if "Diaco's Disciples" can pull that one out it's just gravy. Every ACC team they can beat just adds fuel to the speculative fire. OOC wins vs P-5 teams has to be a priority if they ever expect to join them.

I agree 100%! Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger