Morris
Larry Walker
Schilling

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
These guys are in, I feel:

Maddux is a no-brainer.

So is the Big Hurt although I think he dabbl;ed in juice after age 36 when the injuries began...he was 4th in MVP voting at age 38!

Glavine, too. I wasn't a big Glavine guy then again I wasn't a Braves fan but the guy won 20+ five times and was 305-203 and pitched 22 seasons? Did he do thatto accumulate stats? Hell no...the guy pitche 198 and 200 innings at age 40 and 41. He's in.

Not in:

Moose. A wicked 270-153 record but he only won 20 in a season once...his LAST season. The ERA after his first few great seasons are quite meh. May get in some day but now soon.

And at some point the juicers will get in. Probably after the Commissioner retires.

Reaction Score
These guys are in, I feel:

Maddux is a no-brainer.

So is the Big Hurt although I think he dabbl;ed in juice after age 36 when the injuries began...he was 4th in MVP voting at age 38!

Glavine, too. I wasn't a big Glavine guy then again I wasn't a Braves fan but the guy won 20+ five times and was 305-203 and pitched 22 seasons? Did he do thatto accumulate stats? Hell no...the guy pitche 198 and 200 innings at age 40 and 41. He's in.

Not in:

Moose. A wicked 270-153 record but he only won 20 in a season once...his LAST season. The ERA after his first few great seasons are quite meh. May get in some day but now soon.

And at some point the juicers will get in. Probably after the Commissioner retires.

Glavine not yet…..next time! Maddux is the only done deal with the Big Hurt being a probable…….a little hesitant as he was able to have some real good years as a DH also……..but his numbers are real good!

Reaction Score
Strictly on numbers alone, I think Bagwell and Piazza should make it.

The PED accusations however will keep them and a lot of players out.

Reaction Score
Let the debate begin!!

First year guys:
Maddux. IN
Glavine. IN SOMEDAY
Frank Thomas. MAYBE
Messina. NO

Returning guys:
Bonds. IN SOMEDAY
Rojah Clemens. IN SOMEDAY
Piazza. IN
Bagwell. IN SOMEDAY
Biggio. IN
Raines. NO
Trammel. NO
Mattingly. NO
Morris. IN
Larry Walker. NO
Schilling. IN SOMEDAY

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Let the debate begin!!

First year guys:
Maddux
Glavine
Frank Thomas
Mussina

Returning guys:
Bonds
Rojah Clemens
Piazza
Bagwell
Biggio
Raines
Trammel

Mattingly
Morris
Larry Walker
Schilling

Those are who I would vote for. I think Mattingly belongs as much as Kirby Puckett did, but it won't happen.

Reaction Score
Those are who I would vote for. I think Mattingly belongs as much as Kirby Puckett did, but it won't happen.

I would agree with those who don't think Mattingly should not be in but if Puckett is in then Mattingly should be……but he won't……..

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would agree with those who don't think Mattingly should not be in but if Puckett is in then Mattingly should be……but he won't……..

That's where the trouble starts. You have to take a stand somewhere. Donnie belongs in the Hall of the Very Good. So does Jim Rice.

Reaction Score
That's where the trouble starts. You have to take a stand somewhere. Donnie belongs in the Hall of the Very Good. So does Jim Rice.

And I'm good with that but so does Kirby Puckett……..and Biggio and Trammel and Schilling……..maybe you should build that HOVG waq?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And I'm good with that but so does Kirby Puckett……..and Biggio and Trammel and Schilling……..maybe you should build that HOVG waq?

It could be the next Boneyard project. We can add Jack Morris and Phil Rizzuto

Reaction Score

If Whitey Ford is in ... Based primarily on his postseason success...Then Schilling is in. He is among top postseason pitchers ever to go along with real good career numbers.

Reaction Score
If Whitey Ford is in ... Based primarily on his postseason success...Then Schilling is in. He is among top postseason pitchers ever to go along with real good career numbers.

Whitey was 236-106 in his career vs. 216-146 for the Schill……….16 seasons for Whitey and 20 (not all full for either guy) for Schill and Curt was actually better in the post season at 11-2 vs 10-8 for Whitey………Whitey had 156 CG's vs 83 for Schill……..not a lot of closers hanging around for Whitey although he had 6 seasons of over 240IP while Schill had 4 which isn't too bad at all. Their IP are real close but again, Schill has more years than Whitey……ERA is 2.75 for Ford and 3.46 for Schill……..

Schills close and the only reason would be the post season……..but I think Andy Pettite would be a better comparison than Whitey to Schill…….256-153 in 18 seasons, 3.85 era, 19-11 in the post season, only 26 complete games but then again why would he have?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You know who I think doesn't rate? Don Sutton. I know he has a ton of wins. But he never finished in the Top 5 in Cy Young voting, even in his best year. As as I recall, except maybe for a year or so on the Brewers, he was never the ace of his own team. Just a pure compiler.

Reaction Score
Don't think
Don't think Schilling did enough and Ford had a better and more consistent career. Ford was the Yankee regular season ace for years.I'm probably one of the few here who saw them both. You would swear you could step up and hit him.BTW, Ford could also hit and was used occasionally as a PH.
Maddux is the only one on the ballot that should get in but I have mixed feelings about Mattingly.

Reaction Score
Glavine not yet…..next time! Maddux is the only done deal with the Big Hurt being a probable…….a little hesitant as he was able to have some real good years as a DH also……..but his numbers are real good!

Wondering why you don't think Glavine is in now? He very well could be the last 300 game winner we'll see. Two time Cy Young winner and finished 2nd and 3rd two other times. Led the NL in wins 5 times.

Reaction Score
Wondering why you don't think Glavine is in now? He very well could be the last 300 game winner we'll see. Two time Cy Young winner and finished 2nd and 3rd two other times. Led the NL in wins 5 times.

Maybe he should…..22 years 305 wins, a little better than Sutton who is in, 5 20 win seasons, 6 seasons with an era in the 2's………..pretty good stuff. He probably should be, good guy, good athlete but man his strike zone was ridiculous - HUGE for whatever reason. I guess Maddux was too……

Put him in I'm good with it…….:)

Reaction Score
Maybe he should…..22 years 305 wins, a little better than Sutton who is in, 5 20 win seasons, 6 seasons with an era in the 2's………..pretty good stuff. He probably should be, good guy, good athlete but man his strike zone was ridiculous - HUGE for whatever reason. I guess Maddux was too……

Put him in I'm good with it…….:)

Yeah. I'm a Mets fan. I got to watch him work the left side of the plate out further and further all game every game for years.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Voting takes place Wednesday at some time. Cool debate on MLB Network tonight. Some made a case for Biggio using extra base hits as a determiner to get in.

Reaction Score
Voting takes place Wednesday at some time. Cool debate on MLB Network tonight. Some made a case for Biggio using extra base hits as a determiner to get in.

Biggio and Bagwell were real good buddies…….hmmmmmm

Reaction Score
Votes are in, but I'll just add who I would have voted for:

1. Maddux
  2. Glavine
  3. Thomas
  4. Biggio
  5. Piazza
  6. Bagwell
  7. Trammel
  8. Schilling
  9. Raines
  10. Morris
Next year, Morris and the first three are gone, and we get another round of good players. Replace 1-3 with Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, and John Smoltz, add Edgar Martinez (no space this year) and that's how I would vote.

Reaction Score
I don't get the Biggio love at all. His biggest attribute was health and durability. He never scared anyone. When you watched him play did you ever say.."That's a Hall of Famer right there"??

leadoff guy that hit .280 with a medoicore On-base of of .363

and since its OK to just throw around baseless rumors.....How does he have 3 of his best power years when he is 38,39, & 40...and nobody even freaking blinks.

I know he'll get in, most likely next year...but him going in before somebody like Piazza is ridiculous

Reaction Score
I don't get the Biggio love at all. His biggest attribute was health and durability. He never scared anyone. When you watched him play did you ever say.."That's a Hall of Famer right there"??

leadoff guy that hit .280 with a medoicore On-base of of .363

and since its OK to just throw around baseless rumors.....How does he have 3 of his best power years when he is 38,39, & 40...and nobody even freaking blinks.

I know he'll get in, most likely next year...but him going in before somebody like Piazza is ridiculous
I think you have to factor in Biggio playing 2nd base. Generally, that's a position with lower stats, and rarely are opposing teams scared of second basemen: look at the list...other than Hornsby, are there any second basemen that scare you?. And he played catcher for some years--also, they don't tend to hit as high and for power.

He fits in the HOF based on his performances...but not as a slam dunk. His career average his middling (not necessarily the worst, but certainly no Hornsby), his doubles are impressive, hit total is impressive, and he has 4 Gold Gloves.

For stat geeks, his JAWS score is 53.3, below the average of the other 19 HOF second basement (57), he actually performs pretty well when put in the appropriate context: there are 10 second basement with worse JAWS than Biggio, so exactly right in the middle. You can't only put people in who are above the average. You can argue that some should not have been in, but even then, he ranks as about an average Hall of Fame second basemen.

He should get in, he will get in, but he's not one of the greatest players of all time. Few are--even Hall of Famers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom