That's not a dunk, THIS is a dunk | Page 2 | The Boneyard

That's not a dunk, THIS is a dunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can jump higher in the thin air. ;)
Totally forgot about that. They say the thin air in Mexico City is how Bob Beamon set his long jump record. I'm fairly sure I don't hold any world records even now is because I've never been to Mexico City ;)

Reaction Score
BTW, this article that you are citing is a year old. Not sure if she is still as raw "as a cold Rocky Mountain morning in January."

But I can confirm that January in the Rocky Mountains is cold. We had a low this week of 9 below zero.
Up north a bit Laramie, Wyoming was 26 below zero and 56 below with the wind chill. It's been a miserable week.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I keep wondering if Gabby can dunk? She’s a world class high jumper. While curling your body over a high jump bar backwards is not the same thing as jumping vertically and dunking a ball on a 10’ basket, I figure if Gabby can high jump 74”, she ought to be able to get a running vertical jump of say 36”.

We have already seen Gabby’s spectacular leaping rebounds and shot blocks, where she appears to be well above a 2’ standing vertical leap. She is usually good for 1 or 2 steals a game where she goes the length of the court and finishes by jumping effortlessly to lay the ball high off the glass.

If Gabby is approximately 6’, then with her arms extended she is about 8’. On the run, even with the ball in her hand, I believe she can get that 36” vertical and throw it down.

I’ll bet someone out there has a video of Gabby dunking in practice….
I'll I can think about are those precious, fragile Gabby knees. Please..................

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
According to the article posted by Huskee78, Gabby can already dunk, although we don't appear to have any video confirmation of that claim. As far as palming a basketball is concerned, it's not absolutely necessary to palm a ball to dunk it. You merely need to control it. If you look at the video of the high school girl, she doesn't actually palm the ball when she dunks.

It may simply be that, like Stewie before her, Gabby is reluctant to attempt a dunk during a game?

I disagree that she did not palm the ball. At the peak of her jump, just before dunking, she is absolutely palming the ball. I watched it in slow motion and she is not merely controlling the ball.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'll I can think about are those precious, fragile Gabby knees. Please...

That was my thought. Unless you are 100% healthy and know that you can throw it down I wouldn't recommend trying to dunk.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I disagree that she did not palm the ball. At the peak of her jump, just before dunking, she is absolutely palming the ball. I watched it in slow motion and she is not merely controlling the ball.
You may be right, but I respectfully suggest that it's not definitive. Note that she lifts the ball up from underneath (like Stewie) and then rolls her hand over the top of the ball to throw it down.

If she grabbed the ball from the top and windmilled it around for a dunk like Dr J, I would be convinced that she could palm the ball.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
If she grabbed the ball from the top and windmilled it around for a dunk like Dr J, I would be convinced that she could palm the ball.

LOL - only if she could do that...???

Reaction Score
Dunking the ball, I expect her to raise to the top of the 2019 class, and end as the #1 prospect.

Reaction Score
Regis high school sophomore Francesca Belibi is an explosive athlete and player on the rise. See if you can tell why.

I'm not so sure it was a clean dunk; very hard to tell from the video. I tried to go "frame to frame" and it looks like her hand doesn't get high enough to force the ball downward into the basket.
Still impressive though.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You may be right, but I respectfully suggest that it's not definitive. Note that she lifts the ball up from underneath (like Stewie) and then rolls her hand over the top of the ball to throw it down.

"She can palm a men's basketball, that's how big her hands are," Mattei said. "She can take one dribble from the corner 3-point line and dunk."
Regis Jesuit girls' basketball player Francesca Belibi on the aftermath of her dunk

Reaction Score
I keep wondering if Gabby can dunk? She’s a world class high jumper. While curling your body over a high jump bar backwards is not the same thing as jumping vertically and dunking a ball on a 10’ basket, I figure if Gabby can high jump 74”, she ought to be able to get a running vertical jump of say 36”.

We have already seen Gabby’s spectacular leaping rebounds and shot blocks, where she appears to be well above a 2’ standing vertical leap. She is usually good for 1 or 2 steals a game where she goes the length of the court and finishes by jumping effortlessly to lay the ball high off the glass.

If Gabby is approximately 6’, then with her arms extended she is about 8’. On the run, even with the ball in her hand, I believe she can get that 36” vertical and throw it down.

I’ll bet someone out there has a video of Gabby dunking in practice….

I've seen Gabby dunk a basketball on film. I believe it was Kiah Stokes who posted it on some form of social media. I just scrolled through looking for it but can't find it. It was a while back, but I'm 100% certain I saw Gabby dunk. It wasn't the most convincing dunk, but it was more fluid than the Walker dunk that was recently posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom