Texas OLmen to get 50k each | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Texas OLmen to get 50k each

Reaction Score
If the Redskins had paid more to their athletes, they may not have lost their last five playoff games.

Reaction Score
For me this all boils down to the following questions: If we accept the premise that these are adults who have the right to profit from the use of their names and likeness because of their athletic prowess, which I do, if/when athletes make enough to support themselves why should an academic institution bother having athletics, never mind supporting athletes financially with scholarships, etc.? Why would any fan of College athletics be interested in watching a paid development league with University logo slapped on their unis? Its such a tortured, contrived model it's nauseating.

And another thing- how do the NBA and NFL get away with benefiting from Universities-As-Developmental-Leagues system without paying a dime? Other sports have to support development.

A solution I could live with would be to make a reasonable calculation of the average income for an undergrad is for a year from their part-time/ summer jobs. This after all is the opportunity cost of being a full-time student athlete. Make that the ceiling that any college athlete can be paid. Then let the pro leagues pay it to the athletes who play their respective sports.

-End Rant-

This is more or less where I am. If I want to watch professional football I can watch the best athletes in the world play on Sundays. College athletics is about something different and that is vanishing very quickly. I continue to believe that top recruits in the major sports will see enormous money with NIL especially as those programs are developed to "bid" on recruits. The vultures circling around that will be some of the biggest creeps in that industry and I sincerely hope the schools have the foresight and decency to offer kids the help they will need navigating those waters.

Of course a bunch of 18-19 yo kids running around making 6 and 7 figures a year will undoubtedly have some humorous moments.......

Reaction Score
Livvy Dunne, the gymnast at LSU, is making a killing...and she did it on her own, building up a social media following from age 10...now has 4.5 million Tic ToK followers an 1.3 million Instagram followers.

Relative unknowns might prosper like Hercy Miller, freshman at Tennessee State basketball, who signed a $2 million brand ambassadoer contract.

While on the track team at Southern Cal, Andre De Grasse was a millionaire...he had signed an $11-4 million contract with Puma.

Reaction Score
Guessing another school/conference called foul:

Interesting take from ExtraPoints website. Emmert lost the battle years ago. I agree with this take. Anyone who does their homework putting together NIL deals the NCAA won’t be able to touch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom